Muschamp on Finebaum Show

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by jaxgator1991, Feb 6, 2014.

1. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    If you didn't get a chance to hear it, go to espn.com radio section and go to Finebaum archives. Finebaum may be a little bit obnoxious but he is a great interviewer, didn't ask many "espn softball" questions. I thought Muschamp sounded like a new guy who learned alot from his mistakes this year. Let's hope the talk turns into results, but it sure didn't sound like the guy we heard at the press conferences at the end of last seasons games.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Agree on PF. Very few reporters/media guys conduct good interviews. The ones that do are worth listening too. You hit the nail on the head … no powder puff Q's/flirting/ditzy giggling/etc. Ask real questions or don't bother.

I bet PF didn't sugar coat 4-8 with UF's talent.
  3. chunks1

chunks1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,278
    Maybe Finebaum should interview Slimbo Fisher,Rapeis Winston, and Slimey Meggs. You know with no powder puff Qs flirting, ditzy giggling. Ask real questions or dont bother.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  4. chunks1

Ratings Received:
    +1,278
    So i take it that you prefer powder puff and sugarcoating rather than real questions. tick tock tick tock
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Boring Boring x 1
  5. chunks1

Ratings Received:
    +1,278
    Only boring people get bored. Hunt the truth, it will kill that boredom that you are toting around.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Agree with this. His hire of Roper is impressing me more and more, and several things jump out about bringing him him. For one, it shows that Muschamp was willing to play to what he has on scholarship with Driskel at QB. We'll have to continue to recruit linemen who are athletic and fast enough to block in this type of attack, plus get a few more talents who can get out on the perimeter and make plays in space, but you can see that they're making the modifications necessary (personnel-wise) to run a balanced, multiple, and at times uptempo attack.

Also, the blueprint is out on how to counter Alabama and the talent Saban has stockpiled at 'Bama. You have to speed it up against them, wear them down defensively, and limit their ability to sub defensively by sustaining drives and not letting their players get off the field. Going uptempo does that, and it's pretty much the only way to neutralize the depth they have on the defensive side of the ball. Picture Timmy Jernigan on the sideline midway through the fourth quarter of the BCS title game; that's how you beat 'Bama.

Saban, of course, understood this when he spoke out against teams going to uptempo attacks. Of course he hates dealing with that; that's one of the few ways to beat them. I'm glad that Muschamp has decided to sort of get with the program, even if we don't end up launching an all-out version of the spread that some are envisioning.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    Glad to hear Muschamp is willing to change…..or at least sounds like he is. On the other hand, I don't care if Finebaum is a great interviewer….he is a tool of the highest order and belongs in the same cesspool as Bianchi!
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    I get Paul isn't everyone's favorite but he is not close to as bad as Bianchi. And he made fun of FSU on his radio show alot throughout the year which was funny to listen to until they won the whole thing. The radio show is actually really funny, and its easy to call in, he takes so many calls; I have gotten on the only two times I called in. And he really does the best interviews with some of these coaches, great jobs today with Muschamp and Kevin Sumlin.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,323
    The question did wm want to change or was there pressure from JF to change. Let's face it 3 years at the helm with putrid O. WM was living in the past, and our O suffered for it. Makes me wonder if he had a closed door pow wow with JF who all but gave him an ultimative, fix or change the O or your not here for long.

In the end it matters not why the change but that the change has happened and hopefully it all works out.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,105
    Bianchi is in a piece of crap category all his own.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. gnvgator

gnvgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,194
  13. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Finebaum is actually very good even though he is a Bama homer.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Finebaum's a tool, but my main response to this thread is to disagree with what seems to have become accepted wisdom around here…

Everyone seems to think that UF's offensive issues are due to Muschamp's inexperience or his misguided view as to what it takes to win in the 21st century SEC.

IMO the offense has stunk b/c UF has had poor QB play, primarily due to injury.

The one year UF kept its QB on his feet for 12 games, UF went 11-2 and had a 1000 yard rusher.

And even when healthy, UF's QBs from 2011-2013 haven't been very good.

Brantley simply wasn't very good under Meyer or Muschamp. Maybe if you dropped him into a loaded SOS offense of the mid-90's Brantley could have performed, but he was mostly mediocre even when healthy.

But when he went down in 2011, and UF only had true freshmen to roll out there, that was why UF's O struggled in 2011.

As far as Driskel, he may end up being a coach killer. He's got the size, he's got the attitude and desire, he's a great kid, but can he make the reads and decisions for the offense to meet Gator fans extremely high expectations? I think the jury is still out despite the fact he has started what, 18 games or so?

I think if UF had obviously poor QBs on the shelf when Muschamp arrived, he would have invested more time and effort in bringing in a QB right away.

Instead, Driskel looks and act the part of an SEC-caliber QB, Muschamp thinks he has his QB for 2012-2014, only Driskel is never quite be able to turn the corner on reading defenses etc…I hope he proves me wrong in a big way this year.

Now we've got Grier on campus, and Muschamp is in his 4th year, so he owns almost the entire depth chart, so injuries and the underperformers he inherited can't be excuses for much longer.

But Muschamp is on thin ice and has little margin for error now, Driskel really has to have a good year or Muschamp is probably out of a job.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    Nice post. If Muschamp probably were "the man" for the job he would have figured out much sooner what his problems were going to be and constructed the right team approach. It doesn't appear he did that, but then again injuries might be what kept him from progressing. I think Muschamp made a lot of mistakes handling and managing the team and roster. But at the same time, unless he appears inept next season it might not make sense to replace him if a component like Driskel is much of the problem. The only way I see him replaced is that we lose too many games and then the next Spurrier/Meyer is available.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,159
    I don't necessarily disagree with this post but I actually agree more with your comment you made in the past about not knowing how to interview coaches; I believe that was you. I believe he got it right this go around but only time will tell. Here's to hoping he did which means we'll all be happy with the outcome.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    I don't know, Muschamp's decision to hire Charlie Weis was probably mistake #1, Weis was never going to be a college OC for very long, maybe Weis was the best guy available, and if you expected Brantley to be able to operate a passing offense at a high level maybe Weis made sense…but 90% of UF's issues have been on the offensive side of the ball, and Weis leaving after 1 year didn't help.

This is probably Muschamp's last chance to create some continuity on offense and show that he has a vision for how UF is going to win at this level, I'm fine if its a defense-centric, simple offense approach, but the Weis-Pease-Roper merry go round has to end.
    • Agree Agree x 1