Muschamp gets raise and extension

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tafc_5_1981, Jan 12, 2018.

1. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +390
    I have no hate towards the man. He seems to be doing a pretty good job up there and everyone appears to be happy. I realize WM the HC had to be let go at UF when he did. But I was pretty sad for WM the man. He did things the right way and truly cared about his players and the University. I hope we have solved our HC situation after the awful experience with Mac, and Im happy that WM is doing well.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Todesrolle

Todesrolle GC Legend

Calibishie, Dominica. Sometimes SC, NC, or FLA
    Ratings Received:
    +845
    South Carolina likes Muschamp. They're not looking for national championships every year. They're looking to have a winning record in the SEC, hold their own against Clemson, and catch lightning in a bottle by winning the SEC some day. That's it. Football is a reason to party. It doesn't define them.

I think that Muschamp is a great fit at South Carolina. He's not the cream of the crop, but then, South Carolina isn't either. When you have a program like Florida, Alabama, OSU, etc., where the sky is the limit, a couch who can't fly isn't going to work out well.

South Carolina isn't like that. Their expectations are different. A good defense is generally easier to build and will go further there. If you've gone to a South Carolina home game, which I've had the blessing of attending numerous times during Spurrier's tenure, you would have seen that a close, well-fought loss against the likes of Georgia and Florida is practically a win to them. They're not all grumpy like we are after such a loss. One thing is for sure, UF may have been more fulfilling to Spurrier, but USC was far less stressful.

In fact, I've been to so many wins at UF, where after the game, the mood is worse than USC after they've lost a close one to a better opponent. We have to win big against everyone. They have to put up a fight, keep it close, and win the games that they're supposed to win. There's something good to be said for happy fans under a wider range of circumstances. It's not to say that they don't want to win every game that they play, it's just that most USC fans don't let such things ruin them.

You've got to remember that they haven't won an SEC title ever, and stop comparing our expectations to theirs. Spurrier didn't win a title there. Spurrier can handle a superbike, but USC is a 10 speed. He wasn't going to win any road races with a 10 speed. With Muschamp, he may be able to ride that 10 speed for all it's worth. Different quality coaches, similar results, because of the resources available.

We have the habit of tossing decent coaches into the garbage bin because they're not great coaches. Now with the last one, yeah, the garbage bin suited him perfectly. As for Muschamp, he wasn't championship material, but looking at him as trash isn't really fair.

I never felt the indignation towards Muschamp as I did towards our last coach. Muschamp was a decent guy, just not a championship coach. The last guy, well, he couldn't even fill Muschamp's shoes, and I question his character as well.
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,383
    That he failed with the offense at UF is an understatement but he appears to be on the right track at USCe
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,642
    He hired a coach that brought his highly rated qb son in Bentley. Should be good for 1, maybe 2 more years of bowl games, then.....
  5. OB1

OB1 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +984
    At least he can get a boat at one of the docks now! Place reminds me of Boca before the housing bubble popped, all the over leveraged houses with no furniture.
  6. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,634
    This guy is in the 2018 class, and is on campus now as an early enrollee:

https://247sports.com/Player/Dakereon-Joyner-77309

And Muschamp's new QB coach Dan Werner, has coached some pretty impressive QB's over the years:

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dan_werner_58801.html

I think Muschamp learned the importance of an elite QB.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +6,192
    Has anyone else parlayed two 2nd place finishes in the sec east into more money?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +425

I’ve been a season ticket holder for many years. I’m pissed when we lose hard fought games against Georgia or any other opponent.

This is the problem with South Carolina football, because some people are just happy with 7 to 8 wins , or losing close games. Those type of fans need to find another hobby. I remember Spurrier being pissed at our fans for giving the team a hand after a close loss. He said if South Carolina ever wants to be anything then the attitude needs to change.. Either invest in the program or shut it down completely.

I want this team in the SEC title and winning championships. It will be tough and will be a challenge, but true fans should have that championship desire for their football program.

Any fan that is fine with a close loss is a loser.. I’m sorry but I’ve seen what you’ talking about and it really pisses me off. These are also the same kind of fans that would probably sell their tickets to an opposing fan.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. themistocles

themistocles GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,177
    Simply hilarious.

This shows just how desperate South Carolina really is.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +11,310
    They certainly kicked our asses this year - how simply hilarious is that?
  11. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,523
    But he was quoted as saying that if he would have hired Roper to begin with, he would still be coaching at UF. Methinks, not!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +8,551
    You only think Lattimore will have a recruiting benefit because you're a Cock.

First, I wouldn't come on here comparing Muschamp to Spurrier and be taken seriously. Let's just start there.

Second, while you're a good poster and respectful, I'm telling you this because you might not realize, but most people who are your average football watchers be it NFL or NCAA don't think Lattimore is the best thing that ever happened. You're speaking to an SEC east team that played him yearly so we know him.

And in all honesty, what do I remember most besides some good runs? I thought he was overrated, definitely was a primodona, prone to injury and didn't play his final game because he was scared of getting hurt and didn't play in a Spurrier Bowl game on the poor advice of his agent who wanted to get paid because he was prone to injury.

Yeah, Lattimore being there will be cool for some fans but don't think he'll be quite the recruiter you think he'll be.

I also will always remember this:

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,634
    I am not comparing Muschamp to Spurrier, I simply stated a fact. Only three coaches in the history of USC have won 15 games in their first two seasons; Muschamp, Spurrier, and Morrison.

I should have qualified that with "in-state" recruiting. Lattimore holds the career record for touchdowns at South Carolina (38), even though two seasons were cut short with knee injuries. Most people in South Carolina think highly of him. The prior record was held by Heisman winner George Rogers. He was apparently pretty highly thought of by others. He was NCAA Freshman of the Year.
    I think you're maybe confusing him with someone else. He didn't play any more games after October 27th, 2012 because he dislocated his right knee and torn every ligament, while also suffering nerve damage, not because of the advice of some agent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Lattimore
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +11,310
    Marcus Lattimore was one of Steve Spurrier's favorite players - on and off the field. His career-ending injury was tragic and I see no reason for anybody on this or any other board to speak disparaging of him. He will be an asset to your program, particularly as you say for in-state recruiting.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,629
    CockyInSeattle is a classy poster. I wish there were more like him on CockyTalk. Its been mostly high jacked by a few Zealots with a bad case of Clemson denial. RE WM, I think next season will define if he has transferred to a play to win from a play to not lose mentality.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +488
    I think you might be mixing him up some with Clowney. Lattimore suffered some injuries, but don't remember him sitting out when he was healthy. Clowney pulled stunts like that all the time, aside from the fact that he only played when he felt like it even when he was on the field.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,634
    Thank you.

Yeah Gamecock boards are a mess. It's a result of board wars a few years back. FGF was sold to Rivals. Digital Roost is dead, and CockyTalk has been sort of abandoned by the owner, and left to a bunch of mods with no sense of humor. I still read it for recruiting news, and posters like CoverTwo who are knowledgable and sometimes have insider info, and TheYancy who I believe is GoCocks### here.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,634
    As a true freshman."On September 11, 2010, in just his second career college football game, Lattimore broke 42 tackles on 37 carries, rushing for 182 yards and two touchdowns against the Georgia Bulldogs."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,634
    On October 9, 2010, against the then #1 ranked Alabama Crimson Tide, Lattimore had 23 carries for 93 yards, two rushing touchdowns, and caught one receiving touchdown from quarterback Stephen Garcia.
  20. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,634
    On November 13, 2010 against the Florida Gators in Gainesville, Lattimore had 40 carries for 212 yards and three rushing touchdowns, to defeat the Gators and clinch the SEC East for the Gamecocks.