1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Muschamp Conference

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tomis_gator, Oct 14, 2013.

1. trufloridagator

trufloridagator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    They were pinching those screens. Of all the times we didn't run bubble screens to button, Patton or Dunbar. I know we did at times but we should have done it till they stopped. You also don't need to always have your screens let the whole dline in the backfield, a flare or swing to a FB of RB away from their big guy would have been nice.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  2. sbcg8r

sbcg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Some are mentioning our lack of running the quick slant route, but I saw several ran as a 2nd option, and Murphy never got to that progression.

3. trufloridagator

trufloridagator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Also, the small things we aren't doing like more wr screens, max protection, rb throws, and crap 3rd down formations make me believe pease is more to blame, ultimately will be on champ though.

4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +832
    Kyle will be fine. I have watched him booming the ball in warmups last 3 weeks, I actually think he isn't that far away from regaining his form.
    Have watched Johnny in high school and also compared him to Kyle as they practice. Johnny will be a very good punter at UF, but I don't think he is quite ready. Wouldn't be surprised to see him use a lot of rugby punting this week....but I would rather keep the redshirt intact and let Kyle keep working his way back.
  5. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    lsu gave up huge points and yards to uga and lowly miss state. Fla should have the athletes to score more 6 points.
  6. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,381
    Do you worship "spur dog"? Why must people always bring up spurrier? HE IS NOT OUR COACH, HASNT BEEN FOR A DECADE!
  7. TrillGator

TrillGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +102
    You are correct to an extent. LSU matched up better with our O. Being in death Valley also didnt hurt. It's hard to swallow but UGAs offense is on a different level. also I think if Miss St. Plays in Baton Rouge it makes a considerable difference in how efficient they were early on. Overall, we do have the athletes to score more than 6, but we do not have the o line to score much more than that in that environment.
  8. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +719
    My questions about our 100+ ranked offense are: Is our offensive talent ranked in the 100s as well? If it is, then there's really nothing to be done about it, until we recruit better talent. If it isn't, then it has to be coaching and there's nothing to be done about that, until we get a better Oline coach.
  9. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    That's a difficult question.

Is our talent that bad? I don't think that's the case at every position. Some of our more talented players happen to be very young, which can skew things a little. There's little question in my mind that our true freshman receivers are more talented than our seniors, but not experienced enough to contribute much. Kelvin Taylor is another example, and you'll begin to see him impact the game more now that he is getting more carries.

Thompson and Halapaio were highly ranked recruits. Thompson is still physically undeveloped ( a sophomore, I believe) and Halapaio has struggled with injuries this season.

Our NFL 3rd round draft pick TE was replaced by two players who converted from other positions and are not pass catchers. I guess they would rank sub 100 at that position.
  10. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +719
    I understand your points, but even with what you stated, that doesn't really explain how there are over a 100 teams with better offenses out there. Every team has injuries and inexperience, but somehow there seems to be a lot of teams that are better on offense than we are that face the same issues.
  11. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +969
    I'd have to see the rankings and the difference between the teams.

It's possible (and I don't know for certain) that the statistical variation between #65 and #100 is not that significant.

Basically, everyone south of #65 is bad.... I'm not sure, maybe Wormwood can do an analysis for us.
  12. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +969
    I might add that our style lends to the abysmal offensive rankings. It's hard to rank high in points and yards, when you need 10+ plays per drive and need 7+ minutes per scoring drive.

I understand that this is deliberate as our coaches have little faith in our offensive talent and don't want to put them into a position where they lose the game.
  13. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,381
    Yes, exactly.
  14. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    If fla is getting pushed around on the offensive and defensive lines, they need to think about another strength & conditioning program---the current model doesn't seem to be working. LSU abused fla's D line and Oline.
  15. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +969
    I didn't watch the entire game, but I noticed that we lost the battle up front on offense due more to mental mistakes than being overpowered.

Thompson's failures were execution related more than being outquicked or bullrushed.

If I'm wrong, please correct me, but that's my first impression about how it all went down.
  16. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    A TE who was, by the way, by far the best offensive weapon the Redskins had last night. Losing Jordan was a huge blow to this offense. Last night really drove that home.

When you couple that with:

1. the loss of our best downfield threat and record-setting kick returner before the season (after his best Spring and Fall camps),

2. the loss of our QB. The guy our playbook is built around and who got the lion's share of Fall camp snaps to be replaced by a guy who, while good, is a step down.

3. the loss of arguably our most important offensive lineman, leaving us with an OT spot we have no one ready to fill (and hence are playing a guard there). A loss LSU exploited.

4. the loss of our top running back (not to mention one of our top receivers) on the first series of our first big conference game of the season, leaving most of those carries to a truefreshman who, while talented, is shaky in protection.

So that means we played LSU without our top player at every offensive position group. Think about that for a second. If you had been told that going into the season we would play LSU without all those guys, who would've predicted we'd look any way other than sputtering and mistake-filled? What team can suffer that kind of attrition to their offense and not struggle to move the ball?

Maybe instead of crucifying everybody, we should congratulate them for the tenacity they've shown in overcoming incredible adversity.
  17. TrillGator

Ratings Received:
    +102
    We got out played. Simple as that. It's one loss on the road in one of the toughest places to play in the country. They executed, we didn't. It's not fair, and basically pointless to jump to conclusions, and just alter everything we do. I thought I seen it all, but we have gone as far as to question our strength and conditioning programs.
  18. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    why don't they have a capable backup at OT? The backups were highly recruited and are coached daily with the same drills as other players.
  19. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +345
    Sorry but I can't agree. We scored 6 points against a defense that isn't up to their standards and had been scored on quite a bit this season. Muschamp still playing this scared, keep the ball forever but don't do anything with it ball. He won't win championships like that
  20. TrillGator

Ratings Received:
    +102
    Like I said its hard to swallow. And yes, their defense has been laughable in the past weeks. But football at this level is about matchups. They matched up well with us. They out played us up front. It's hard to give TMurph a chance to make a play downfield when pressure and or a negative play is almost certain. That's the best game LSUs dline has played all year, and that's what they needed more than anything to win. Not to mention how chaotic death valley is. It's frustrating. It really is, to hold that offense to 17 and not be able to come away with a win but you have to read into it a little better than we only put up six on a down defense.