1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Muschamp an underachiever?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,015
    According to Dave George he is. Thoughts?

[​IMG]
    Florida Gators coach Will Muschamp, above, doesn’t look good compared to, say, UCF coach George O’Leary, who seems to maximize the talent on his roster. (Rob Foldy/USA Today Sports)
    By Dave George

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

The Florida Gators are celebrating another top-10 national recruiting class, which proves the strength of the brand on the heels of a shockingly sour 4-8 season.

What it doesn’t prove is the ability of coach Will Muschamp and his staff to get the most out of his talent.

Sure, there are injuries and other unknowables in the way of every program’s potential, and Florida suffered the worst of all that in 2013. Here, though, is one of the major reasons I growled so much about the need for the Gators to make a coaching change following that November loss to Georgia Southern.

According to Rivals.com, which is one of the better ranking services for national recruiting, Muschamp signed the No. 12 class in his first season as Florida coach (2011), followed by the No. 3 and the No. 4 classes the next two years. To take all of that potential and wind up with the program’s worst season in 34 years ought to be impossible, even if we’re talking about fielding second- and third-teamers only.

Contrast that with Central Florida, which wrapped up its 2013 season with a Fiesta Bowl win over Baylor. The four recruiting classes that combined to build that 12-1 Knights team were ranked 56th, 39th, 91st and tied for 74th nationally. Quarterback Blake Bortles, for that matter, was rated only a three-star signee in 2010, and now there’s talk that he might go ahead of Johnny Manziel in the NFL draft.

Add it all up and UCF’s George O’Leary comes off as a major overachiever. Muschamp, judging by what the experts think of his talent pool, comes off more and more like a dud.

Now, maybe the Gators will turn it all around in 2014. Maybe Jeremy Foley’s confidence in his coach will be rewarded.

USC, however, fired Lane Kiffin after he went on a 4-7 skid spanning the the end of 2012 and the start of 2013. Makes sense for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is the judgment by Rivals that the Trojans had the No. 1 recruiting class in the nation in 2010, followed by two more in the top eight.

That’s some major underachievement, too.

Jimbo Fisher is a different story. In his four years at FSU, the Seminoles have raked in a top-10 class every time. The result? A fresh BCS championship with an undefeated team and a Heisman Trophy winner at quarterback. Jameis Winston, by the way, was part of the 2012 recruiting class, ranked No. 6 by Rivals.

Miami’s Al Golden, hampered by NCAA troubles, had just one top-10 Rivals recruiting class in his first three seasons and the result, a 36-9 loss to Louisville in the Russell Athletic Bowl, is about what you would expect from that.

Make of Wednesday’s rankings whatever you want. The correlation between initial talent evaluation and eventual production can be off by a mile at times.

If a coach is tagged as a recruiter alone, however, he won’t last.

And if he can’t tune up the top talent he gets, he shouldn’t.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,397
    Yeah, it's just so easy to plug in second and third stringers at key positions, and not miss a beat. Lol The injuries were absolutely insane last season. Next year will tell us all we need to know about coach Muschamp, and the future of the program. We have talent galore, much needed depth and a good offensive mind to compliment Boom's defense. 10-11 wins will probably be the best case....7 worst case.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Like him or not, he is our coach this season. I say everyone jump on board and go all in to support this team...AND its coach. They need your support, not your vitriol. Now if he has another bad year, I'll pick up the torch and pitchfork and help everyone run him out on a rail.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Yeah, we'll see. I will say that we had a grueling schedule, but how can we excuse losses to Ga Souhern, Vandy, at our own turf. They don't have talent as good as our second string.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  5. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    probably a poor excuse, but looking back I think by that time this team was so worn down by injuries and poor moral that those losses weren't inconceivable. Also, its not ever good to face a triple option offense with less than half a defense.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +816
    Well, this gator thinks there are so many things wrong with an article like that, not sure where to begin.

Nothing wrong with a negative take, but for some reason I expect journalists to provide a little more analysis than your typical ignorant poster on here and other boards.

Instead, he goes as superficial as he possibly can, nothing more than Ws and Ls and recruiting rankings.

If you are going to argue for a coach's firing in year 3, at least make an argument about what personnel, scheme or playcall decision went wrong. Make an argument why the style is wrong, the scheme is wrong, the guy's not a leader, the guy can't X and O, whatever, but tell me why the guy can't win.

But he doesn't do that.

But when you gloss over what happened in 2013 as "…injuries happen…" and choose to ignore the fact that UF lost 5 of its 6 most important players, and then 4 of its 5 starting OL by midseason, you are not very persuasive.

Make no mistake, CWM has not proved to me yet that he is going to be our long term coach at UF, the jury is most definitely still out.

But given our injuries and the fact that in 2013 the only classes that Muschamp really "owns" as his recruits are freshmen and sophomores, I can't blame him for the lack of depth that 2013 revealed.

When the entire roster are Muschamp's recruits, then he owns the Ws and Ls full stop.

But for now, this Gator is looking past the Ws and Ls and taking a wait and see attitude. Because, as bad as last year was, Muschamp's record when his preseason starter at QB stays upright and finishes the game is pretty damn good, what is it 17-3, 18-3? I know that is misleading b/c it overweights the early season cream puffs before Brantley got injured in 2011 and Driskel and then Murphy went down in 2013, but still.
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    The result for dumbo wasn't so good until this year when he transmuted himself into a genius. I don't get the worship you get from playing a rapist. You get called a champion.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,595
    We have a grueling schedule every year...I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the year we had an easy schedule.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  9. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,659
    The simple answer: he was/is a head coach-in-training. What happens next is about what he has learned. And if he hasn't learned enough then he is more of a head recruiter than a head football coach. JMHO
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +847
    Dave George is a hack!!
  11. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,549
    Great replies here. Sure, Muschamp needs another year....but let's stop sugar coating it. 4-8 is inexcusable and he's on the hottest seat in college football.

It wasn't? He went 12-2, won the ACC, and won a BCS bowl game last year didn't he? Time to call a spade a spade; the guy can coach, recruit, replace 1st round QBs, and replace coaches just fine. No coach is going to win them all. Saban went 6-6 in year 1 at Bama. Sour grapes....
  12. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    He might be.

But there isn't a coach in the country that could have taken that injury situation and turned it into much more than barely qualifying for a bowl.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,215
    It's time to produce.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,977
    Actually, while our SEC schedule will generally be pretty tough, some years are far, far easier than others.

Our 08 championship year for instance was easy (until the SEC CG). We didn't play any top 10 teams. UFS, Ole Miss and UGA were the only top 25 teams we played. And we lost to Ole Miss.

09 regular season was pretty soft, too. Again we didn't play any top ten teams and just three top 25 teams (LSU, Ole Miss and Miami). We did beat them all.

10 regular season was much tougher... two top 10 teams (Bama and LSU), and three more top 25 teams.

Things have gotten significantly tougher since then.

11 regular season - three top ten teams including the top two (Bama, LSU, USCe), plus two more top 25 teams.

12 regular season - four top 10 teams (UGA, aTm, USCe, UFS), plus two more top 25 teams.

13 regular season - three top 10 teams (UFS, USCe, Mizzou), plus two more top 25 teams. Would have been three more top 25 teams if UGA didn't lose Murray at the end of the season.

While we had better teams under Meyer, a big factor in our record his last season, and for all of Muschamp's tenure, has been that our schedule is just a helluva lot tougher.
  15. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    I would have paid money to be barely qualifying for a bowl, instead of whatever the hell we had last season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Well I think that would have cost us ~ $2M+ more a season. I'd rather just say last year was a wash and move on.
  17. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Calling it "a wash" infers that there was neither marked gain nor marked loss. I'll agree to disagree. I have said everything I could possibly say about last year already.
  18. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Yeah just a matter of opinion, I suppose. To me the difference between bowling in Bumsquat, Montana and cutting your losses on a dismal season are negligible.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,977
    Some people want Bumsquat more than others. ;)

Kidding aside, we should have done better and I wouldn't have blamed Foley a bit if he had canned Champ after the GA Southern debacle.

But he's our coach, he just brought in an outstanding class considering the circumstances, and Roper could very well be what we need on offense. Definitely time to move forward.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,215
    Not sure much would have been gained with bowl game, the O would practice same lame plays and quite frankly as bad as last year was I was so ready to see it end. The bowl would only have prolonged the misery. I would rather wm used that time for self evaluation and get the program back where it should be.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1