Murphy is our guy

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by UFGator05, Sep 21, 2013.

1. canuck_gator

canuck_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    TM showed us the following advantages that he brings to the table:
    1) He has a feel and rhythm for the game (which has been badly lacking for years from a Gator QB)
    2) Senses the pass rush pressure in its location and intensity
    3) Has a great initial 1st and 2 step where quickness and shiftiness is required to elude tacklers
    4) Throws very accurately on the run
    5) Understands and knows how to avoid getting sacked for a loss
    6) Has command of the offense and his confidence which seems to spread to the team members
    7) Defence looked rejuvenated when he was in game
    8) Seems to be able to get in in from the red zone
  2. canuck_gator

canuck_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Lets face it, JD may have had some good moments and made some great plays from time to time in some select games, but he rarely looked in sync for more than a few plays at a time. All the great ones have a great rhythm and great command about what they do, all the ones that don't succeed just seem out of sync with the game itself and out of sync with the rest of the team.
  3. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Jeff has looked like a world beater at times and has made some plays that won games. He is a guy who needs more time to get full command of the offense, for the game to slow down. As most do. He made up for it with athletic ability.

2014 was to be his big year. Still could be if he matures and spends time in the film room.
  4. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +967
    He should have already shown flashes of that this year. He didn't.
  5. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    I don't get the JD vs TM that is still going on. We need to support our new QB. JD was into his JUNIOR year and was still making terrible mistakes. He is out for the season. No need to continue this dialogue. Again, let's move on.
  6. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Agreed. He's been given plenty of time and has shown little to no improvement. Murphy looked great, it's his time now.
  7. GatorLaw25

GatorLaw25 Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Um, no offense but you did in your post exactly what you are chastising other posters for doing. Pretty ironic...
  8. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    this is ridiculous you need to grow up
  9. whitelakegator

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Not really. My post is directed at the people being negative that TM is taking over. I am amazed that they exist. It was awful what happened to JD and I would never ever wish anything bad on any of our players. Moving forward, it is one game only but I liked what I saw. Does saying TM looked better than JD mean that I am disrespecting JD? No. It is exactly what I saw.
  10. GatorLaw25

GatorLaw25 Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    I thought your point was that we needed to support the new guy and point out what he does well without kicking the other guy that can't even play anymore this year.
    But in that same post you point out how JD was still making terrible decisions (which I actually have no problem with as a point of comparison, save for the irony in your post).

Maybe I just missed the point you were really trying to make! :)
  11. whitelakegator

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Let's be real here. Murphy played much "headier" than JD in his first game without ever throwing a pass before. How can you not be impressed with his poise and MOXIE?

It may turn out that I am completely wrong but I feel we may be in better hands on offense. Murphy seemed to be able to extend plays which is something we lacked before...this is big time college athletics. Stuff happens. AM I happy JD got hurt? NO!!!! Do I feel that we have a capable back up? YES!!!
  12. Gatoraid44

Gatoraid44 Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I too was optimistic when Murphy came in. I wish Driskel the best, and he is a true Gator, but it has been a struggle to put it mildly. Murphy waited his turn, and made the most of it.

I posted this in another thread, but I think it was the throw to Patton that he was coming back too on a busted play. Murphy threw a rope across the field 30 yrds right into Patton's chest and it was dropped.

That was the throw that made me a believer and made me say he might just have what it takes. :happy:
  13. GatorLaw25

GatorLaw25 Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    My sentiments exactly!!!
  14. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Yep his ability to extend plays is far more dangerous to defenses the JD's occasional ability to make a big run. Even TM showed the ability to be a very good runner.
  15. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +641
    GatorAZ, I'm not sure I get your endless defense of the playcalling and the conservative ideology (especially when some of your analysis on the game doesn't make a whole lot of sense). We didn't score in the redzone because we went conservative. In fact, there were a few plays right at the five yard line where we went play action or read option. Those kind of plays open up the run game up the gut.

The key yesterday was that when we were moving the ball, Pease was back to calling a heavy motion offense. When we weren't moving the ball, it was because we would run on 1st and 2nd down right up the middle and either a: force ourselves into a passing situation or b: have to call a conservative run play to avoid TO's.

I'm not trying to get on your case, AZ. I certainly admire the fact that you are 100% almost everything the coaches do. But I'd advise you to go take another look at the game, and watch for the differences between our scoring drives and the drives that didn't end in a score.