Murphy is our guy

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by UFGator05, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Looked pretty good, minus the fumbling and such, which was understandable considering the circumstances.
  2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless

Ratings Received:
    +48
    ESPN showed that Murphy had QB rating of 98.1 out of 100.

GatorZone shows that has only played in 3 games in his 3 years at UF.

Pretty impressive game for someone with so little experience.
  3. raycgator

raycgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    I know we may be jumping the gun with Murphy, and there's nothing we can do except hope for the best because he literally is our only option.

But it's happened several times in the past, where the back-up suddenly gets his shot and plays like a stud. I really hope that's the case with us. He seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders. He's our only hope to make this season exciting
  4. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Very impressive game. Didn't rack up gaudy numbers but I really don't care. He showed all of the intangibles that you look for in a QB.
  5. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Who is our 5th string QB?
  6. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +508
    Ryan McGriff?
  7. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +465
    I thought the play calling was just fine, especially once the Gators got the lead. The only way we were going to lose that game was to throw another pick 6.

Murphy obviously needs work on his ball handling but that was a great start. On a related note, who is the new backup?
  8. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I think its absolutely criminal, given the patsies we've played over the last 2 years, that Murphy hadn't thrown a pass under game conditions before today. Absolutely inexcusable and unbelievable.

This is precisely why you blow out patsies and let the young kids get some experience.
  9. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Well last year Brissett would have gotten those snaps, but your point still stands. Against Toledo it would have been nice to let TM run the offense in the 4th quarter.

Same goes for the backups at every other position
  10. StonewallJawkson

StonewallJawkson Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Can you please specify when that has happened at Florida?

Just working from memory, Don Gaffney was hurt in 1975 and Jimmy Fisher played decently but was hardly a stud. In 1979 the original Brantley went down and Larry Ochab and Johnell Brown were ineffective. In 1980 Bob Hewko was hurt and was replaced by Wayne Peace who had an outstanding career, although even he took several games to get untracked and Hewko started several more games over the next couple of years. When Kerwin Bell was hurt Rodney Brewer was strictly average. In 1989 Kyle Morris was suspended and neither Lex Smith or Donald Douglas accomplished anything. Doug Johnson was benched in 1998 (I think) and Palmer did all right but not studly IMHO. When Brantley went down in 2011 Driskell had that deer in the headlights look.

I may be missing some others.
  11. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,133

I can't just say "it was just UT".

No, this was a team that had grabbed an early lead with a pick 6 over us, our starting QB goes down with a season-ending injury on that same play, and it was an SEC rivalry game.

Then Tyler Murphy drove us for a FG, and then for four more TD drives, and if not for four more mind-boggling turnovers, we'd have probably put a couple more TD's on the scoreboard, not to mention he'd driven us down another time and we missed a FG.

I recall telling a lot of people here that Murphy was a lot better than many thought, and though I don't believe he has the outright physical skills Driskel has, I will readily admit that he has much better poise, command of the offense, awareness, and most of all, patience as QB.

Murphy is a kid who has sacrificed, worked hard, waited his turn, and even begged to be on the scout team just so he could play. Driskel is a guy who was the highly-rated 5* kid out of high school who, IMO, simply does not have his head in the game.

Discipline... that's the name of the game right now. We got a lot of of big fish in one big pond right now and there is obviously some guys who take plays off, lose focus, and perhaps think themselves above others.

Tyler Murphy is not one of those kids. He's a TEAM player and I like him.
  12. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    I wonder how much of a "promise" was given to JD to come to UF to start. Either JD was the best practice qb ever or our backup qb really stinks. It certainly seemed like JD was given more than his fair shake as the starter but unfortunately when you are qb you cant spot the other team two tds every game and expect to continue starting. Hopefully there was a promise that needed to be kept that kept JD starting and now that JD is hurt the "better" qb has a chance.
  13. TBEAU

TBEAU VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Count me as one of those fans who was confident we would be ok when JD went down and my text at 3:57pm (within 2 minutes of the injury) to my friend saying exactly, "It's a blessing in disguise. Trust me" is all the proof I need. Actually my thoughts were more like, "We are better off" without JD and I have never disparaged JD. Check my records. Have nothing against the guy and truly respect his hard work and dedication but he doesn't have it and I have no faith he will magically acquire it. I wish the best for him but I love "my" Gators and want the best for them also.

The jury is still out for Tyler Murphy but if you couldn't see his natural pocket awareness and instinct in his first real game under fire then I will just say I'm glad you are not part of the recruiting staff. I thought Tyler must be a pretty bad runner compared to JD which is why Wilmus named him the starter but he proved Wilmus wrong today. He runs at least as good as JD and has that knack for getting up field when there is a crack to do so.

Watching the Miami game 3 1/2 times it is so obvious to the majority that when JD feels that pressure he panics and wings it sometimes. No doubt in my mind we win the UM game without all of the turnovers- without JD. I also said when JD was named starter over Jacoby, "What is Wilmus thinking?" Clear to me Jacoby was calm and cool under pressure and would glide effortlessly when he needed to run or buy some time to throw. Too bad Jacoby wasn't a little more patient as he would be the starter for The University Of Florida right now. Don't blame him for leaving but wow what an opportunity this would be for him.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  14. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    A

Well notch in your holster then...if you saw this coming....I saw some pocket awareness and he did make a few plays that need to be brought up because he was thrown into the fire. I saw three throws where he locked on receiver under 5 yd routes and never took his eye off him. He did show escapability. I want to be wrong. Truth is what separates these guys need to be holding onto football. So if he is really smart in that area, it will minimize where he is weaker. Time will tell....
  15. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Shane freaking Matthews
  16. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +176
    Herein is the biggest liability of the Muschamp "sneak-and-squeak" philosophy of shorten the game, keep it close, sneak up on the other team at the end and squeak by with a late score.

Your starters play the entire game, get more wear and tear, and the backups NEVER get to play in garbage time.

There is no real "man down, next man up" effect there. The "next man" is still cutting baby teeth and drinking formula from a bottle.
  17. oxking

oxking Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Driskell Never Had A Game This Good Against Anybody

Just name one team that JD played this well against. He has never shown the kind of poise and pocket presense that Murphy showed under duress. The only game that came close was Kentucky last year. We finally saw this teams go through the RedZone to score TD's 2 or 3 times in a row. If it was not a complete fluke, which I doubt seriously, we're better off with Murphy no matter how unfortunate for JD.
  18. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Tennessee is one team Jeff played this well against. He threw for 220 ran for 80 yards and threw 2 Td's

What we did in the redzone was not a fluke we simplified things and went conservative by running the ball
  19. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,053
    Murphy showed us all that he is hungry. I loved it. The kid seems like (after listening to his presser) he gets 'it'. Do your thing, Murphy!
  20. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Driskel played better (dare I say, much better?) against a better Tennessee team last year (and on the road) than Murphy did today (although he did well...not talking anything away from him). Driskel, I though, also played well against Texas A&M, South Carolina (not a lot of yards but hard to argue against 4 passing TDs...especially in our offense) and, minus a couple of mistakes, I think he had a pretty good game against FSU in a hostile environment against a team infinitely better than the dumper fire Tennessee is right now.