MSNBC Host claim about Lane's death is laughable!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Aug 27, 2013.

1. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,302
    I'm not quite sure if they would be or not.

But, to be clear here: what position are YOU trying to take?

Are you saying incidents like this should be discussed in the national media along with incidents like TM?

Or, because these were black on white crimes, they are less newsworthy than a white on black crime?
  2. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,605
    I think Martin/Zimmerman was an incredibly much-discussed case for a variety of reasons.
    I don't think black on white crimes are less newsworthy at all. But I do think these two crimes are being discussed more right now than they would have been two years ago as a reaction to Martin/Zimmerman.
    That's why on Too Hot and elsewhere, crimes have been brought up with "When's Obama going to address this ... why isn't Sharpton talking about this ...."
  3. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    Typically black on white crime is not as newsworthy since it happens much, much more frequently and there are no white Jesse Jacksons or Al Sharptons who make a living on race bating.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,412
    So who are the people that supply the links that you regularly post from Breitbart, Drudge, Fox and other outlets that play up the race angle in black crime ... race-baiting robots?

http://gawker.com/5359886/matt-drudges-angry-black-people-obsession?tag=messaging

http://gawker.com/5806975/matt-drudge-launches-black-teen-crime-news-service

5. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,605
    I agree with that to a degree. For the last 20 years or so, that's been the case. But I think Wgbgator is also correct. Fox, Breitbart and other conservatives have assumed the role of focusing on black people behaving badly.
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,412
    Even before Trayvon, Rush and Drudge were obssessed with black crime as some sort of evidence of "Obama's America." Remember the all the threads about "flash mobs?" Trayvon certainly upped the stakes for these guys, but to call it purely blowback is fallacious, because they've been hyping black crime basically since we've had a black president, which I'm sure is a total coincidence.
  7. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,302
    For better or worse, most news outlets these days have aligned themselves into one political slant or another. When "liberal" media outlets trump up a case on racial premises that becomes national news...are you surprised when "conservative" media outlets do the same thing in response?
  8. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    If GZ had been held and charged you and I would most likely never have heard of him.
  9. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,302
    So you're advocating for the courts to be lynch mobs, malleable to public demand rather than beholden to basic standards of evidence?
  10. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,227
    I was once one of these liberals, and it's not a case of rationalization with them so-to-speak... it's a case of pure brainwashing. They're programmed not to question what they're told and to think this way because they've been imbedded with this intolerable hatred for all things Republican.

They know they're wrong supporting what this MSNBC idiot said, but if it's anti-Right, they're all for it regardless.

Remember, liberals, in general, can't think for themselves and have to be taken by the hand and led, and they gleefully allow it to happen because they want to be led like sheep.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I'm advocating for the police acting responsibly and without regard for the color of the victim - that is not the case in modern America where the perpetrator of a crime against a black victim is less likely to be charged and/or more likely to receive a lighter sentence than one involving a white victim. That's a fact. It is also a fact that GZ was released in about 4 hours after killing a minor, an almost inconceivable event if TM had been an unarmed white teenager in a place he belonged. GZ should have been charged with manslaughter as a minimum until further investigation. That is why this case received so much attention, not because a white guy killed a black guy.
  12. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +800
    Sure it's a straight forward question--in fact, it's downright rhetorical (of course they wouldn't have garnered as much news coverage). Rhetorical questions usually have a point.

What's yours?
  13. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Race had nothing to do with Zimmerman being charged or not charged. Just as race had nothing to do with Martin being killed.
  14. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +800
    Where you at, bra? :happy:
  15. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    You don't know that since no one is going to say either, but we do know that GZ's not being charged:

1 Fits the pattern which I noted above for how seriously crimes against black citizens are treated in the US.

2 Would be hard to imagine if TM was a white unarmed teenager in a place he belonged and his killer was black.

Those characteristics are what made the case national news.
  16. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +800
    Puuuhhhh-leeeeeeeze....

The MSM pounced on the racial aspect--or should I say, their own manufactured racial narrative of the case--like a pit bull on a 3 year old carrying a medium rare sirloin steak...
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    According to our resident criminal science expert, 3.8% of homicides are white on black in America which by my quick figuring using 2010 stats is 547 white on black homicides a year. Why did this one get notoriety? Here's a clue - it wasn't because a white guy killed a black guy. Use your brain.
  18. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,302
    The police should be accountable, we agree with that basic premise.

And that's why, in theory at least (if not always in practice), we have a prosecutor's office and the courts/juries to make sure the cops don't allow outside prejudices in.

So what happened to GZ? Well, the cops saw enough evidence to release him and did. Then, it's up to the local DA to bring charges, if warranted. After a little while (and largely due to outside pressure), the state appoints Angela Corey to charge GZ. Instead of going for a manslaughter charge (which she probably could have stood a good chance of winning), she went for the home run of murder. Poor decision, but unsurprising for those who are familiar with her.

The jury reviewed the facts and found him innocent. Period.

Juries aren't perfect, but the burden is on the state to prove the charge beyond a reasonable doubt--and there were plenty of unknowns in this case. Too many to convict.

If anything, this case proves there needs to be more accountability in the media and in the prosecutor's office. And, might I add, you need to do some serious brushing up on what "evidence" means...along with "burden of proof" in legal cases. As it is, you're looking rather uninformed on the topic and speaking from emotion rather than facts.
  19. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,605
    already answered it.
  20. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    All the evidence points to that. So yes, I DO know it to be true