Moving to LA!

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Dec 18, 2012.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,570
    Used to spend a lot of time out there on business back in the 90s. Hated it the first two trips out, but it gradually grew on me. Now I really miss it. The driving is the downside, especially for someone used to living in Chicago, but if you live near where you plan on working, it's not too bad. I never priced real estate, but I had a frat brother living in a rent control part of Santa Monica very near the beach.

In general, I like Santa Monica and the areas directly to the south and east. Never got to know the valley very well, but I had one crazy night where we drove from party to party up there and came back down to Hollywood through the hills.

There are really cool parts of Hollywood. Seriously. I don't know if anything is affordable.

Was briefly looking at colleges for my daughter and became intrigued by Claremont and the area surrounding Occidental. That's a bit east but probably cheaper.

As far as your work, LA is the vanity capital of the world. I think you'll do well just because you're a straight up good guy who knows his stuff. You'll definitely need a slick web site, but it sounds like you've got that on track.

Best of luck to you.
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    Thanks, buddy. I'll keep you posted. And yes, it's expensive. Gas is hovering just under $4.50 a gallon. Sales tax is the highest in the nation and set to possibly increase. electricity rates are quite high. People just settle for rooms out there. Surprisingly, auto insurance is the lowest I've seen.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Speaking for Las Vegas, LA has got nothing on us. I've got free passes to my gym for ya if you want just a taste of what I mean.
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    All the rich LA folks are probably in Vegas. I probably saw the regular folks when I was in LA. Truthfully, the best looking people I saw, on my trip, was in the Atlanta airport.

Now, perhaps the highlight of my trip was getting in behind (I'll bet) an aging, Hollywood starlet, and following most of the way between Beverly Hills and Malibu.

She had to have been an aging starlet because she was wearing a scarf and driving an old Mercedes convertible. Who else could it have possibly been ?
  5. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +863
    My original question was going to be: Are you moving to LA east or LA west, lol.
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    Found a place in Pasadena. So, I guess LA north.
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    Funny thing happened on my way to LA ... I decided to move to Charlotte.

A good friend up there begged me to come up and check the place out. While there I landed a VERY good job:

http://www.redventures.com

Base pay, commissions, benefits, paid-leave, profit-sharing, etc., and a fun work environment to boot.

LA is exhilarating, but Charlotte has the jobs. And in these times, nothing is hipper than having a job.

Start date is Apr 8. So I'll be moving up the week before. It may be a stepping-stone to LA. Then again, I may come to love Charlotte. It's certainly a nice enough place, more impressive than Orlando, IMO. In any case, with sister in LA it's always a cheap vacation for me.

I'm not going to worry about the fitness thing for now. I'll talk up my philosophy as I have the opportunity. Perhaps business will come to me over time.
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Good luck in Charlotte with the new venture.
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    Thanks! I may also shut down my website and throw up a Facebook page like you've got. Are you getting any business from it ?
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    I'm getting more and more hits each week and I'm getting a lot of people asking questions about stuff. Not nearly enough wanting to sign up with me. But I do other stuff locally and have enough local clients to get by. What I really need to build up is my online client base. Right now I have two online nutrition clients with a third about to start. Id like to get 10-20 going online.
  11. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    I have a website also but it still needs a lot of work so the Facebook page is great for now.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    Sounds like a solid start, actually. My marketing genius of a sister heartily endorses the Facebook page concept. She opines that for people who aren't selling products, people like us, Facebook puts us right where we need to be, in the thick of an online community.

Maybe just maybe I'll be driven back into fitness by popular demand. Right now, I'm getting a kick out of just pitching my philosophy to people. I may even volunteer to help my fellow employees at my new job. After all, it is a push environment. Fun as it appears to be, I know that it is also stressful. And it's the kind of environment where you sit for 7-8 hours a day.
  13. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    I've really come around on the Facebook page. It is free and easy and I have it connected to my twitter so I post once and hit both networks. I try to post something everyday so people get used to seeing it. Then hopefully get a few shares and likes and new followers. Its slow going but I'm patient.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    Sounds tailor-made for a guy like me (and where I am right now), low maintenance and no hosting fees.

Number of people who've asked if I have a website: somewhere south of five, probably.

Number of people I know who go on Facebook: approximately a bajillion.
  15. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Just caught up on this... why is it that I get the image of a Looney Toons skit? The one where Bugs Bunny pops his head up out of a hole, look around confused, then pulls out a map and begins to study it. Then he says "I knew I should have taken a right in Albuquerque!"

LOL.

Looks like an interesting place to work, at least from the flash video.

Good Luck.
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    Thanks, and it has been a little cartoonish. I kind of wish I hadn't said anything.

And about Red Ventures, that video wasn't put-on in any way. I spent several hours in the call center and people really were cutting up constantly and having a lot of fun.
  17. MeyerIsBack

MeyerIsBack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    Congrats on this new opportunity. Its crazy how things happen
  18. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +357
    I was just in Charlotte for work two weeks ago. It was colder than NYC -- so be prepared for all that :)

Otherwise, it seemed pretty cool.

Congratulations on the new job.
  19. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, I was surprised at the temperature differential between Charlotte and Orlando. It was in the 20's every night I was there.
  20. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +328
    Welcome to Los Angeles. When you eventually get here, that is! I lived on the West Side for at least half of the time I've been here in Los Angeles. While the air might seem better because of the onshore breezes it definitely has its liabilities as well. I eventually acquiesced and moved to the Valley. More affordable, better nights, cheaper and more spread out. Hotter than all hell during the summer months though. The West side, if you are very lucky has rent-control apts that are a steal. A pal of mine lives on Ocean, right on the Palisades in Santa Monica, ocean view for 950 for a two bedroom two bath apt. The same units rents for $2,800-$3200 bucks off rent control. Crazy. Always carry a jacket on the West side, if the fog moves in the temp drops 20 degrees in five minutes. The nights can get chilly compared to Fla.There are plenty of high-end health clubs out here, that's for sure. Connect with some of the Brentwood and Palisades rich folk and word will spread quickly. Southbay is another very cool area. Can't get there from here. Manhattan Beach. Expect to drive a lot. You may relocate a few times once you establish a client base in a specific geographic or demographic locale. I'm a season pass holder at Mammoth (for 12 years or so), and at a local mountain here in Southern Cal. Mountains are ridonkulous. California is pretty hard to beat, the only issues are traffic and everyone else being here! California Hispanics are much friendlier than your Cuban Fla counterparts. HA! Local mountains for hiking, beaches, Mammoth area, Yosemite, Death Valley, the Eastern Sierra's are sick. Fishing, hunting, hiking galore, boarding & skiing...then there's the central Cal coast, wine country, Big Sir, Cambria, Redwoods...you could explore Cal for the rest of your life and and not get it done. The weather is like perfect winter weather in Fla. Low humidity, hardly any clouds in the sky, blue sky and sunny. It doesn't suck. :)

Oops, I mean , welcome to Charlotte...