Moving to LA!

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    Yeah, who knew ? I was targeting mid-tier cities like Charlotte and OKC. But I have a sister who lives in LA. She's a graphic design artist and a marketing consultant. Recently, she's designed websites for some of the child actors you see on Nickelodeon and such.

She strongly maintains that LA is the ideal market for me, Vanity Capital of the World and all that. Yes, she says that LA is already awash in fitness trainers because of that. Yes, she believes that my age, less-than-intimidating physique and especially my business model will separate me from my competition.

She's going to optimize my website, for free, help me with marketing needs and look for places to stay and job opportunities.

Realistically, it'll take awhile to build up a fitness clientele. So, I'll be looking for temporary work. But I must say that I am pleasantly surprised, no SHOCKED at how affordable housing is (when you look).

I'm pumped! Yes, I've spent some time in LA and can certainly see myself being happy there. A catchment of 13,000,000 people, mountains, ocean, what's not to like ?

Plus, "LA-based Fitness Trainer" should immediately buy me some street cred on Health and Fitness Forum. :wink:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Best of luck to you Dream. I will be in LA for some fitness shows in early 2013 and have thought about making the move there myself recently. But I am going to stick out LV for a little while longer, the market here is actually very good for fitness professionals also.

Getting your website out there will be a huge boost and once you get some word of mouth going you should be good. Just give it time and develop your client army.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    Thanks for the encouragement, friend. I guess I didn't realize you were in LV. I certainly have noted that it isn't far from LA. And did you know they're building high-speed rail from LA to LV ? Due to be running in 2016.
  4. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +660
    Welcome to L.A., Dream. I moved out here four years ago from Chicago and have to say it's a pretty cool place to live. You'll probably find you hate the traffic and the unusually high % of DBs (don't mean defensive backs) that live out here.

But you just learn to brush them off after a while. There are a lot of cool, down to earth people here too and tons to do that you just can't find in a lot of places.

Hope the transition goes smoothly and let me know if you have any questions.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    Thanks, fubar, for the welcome and the heads-up on the douchebags. :wink:

I'd like to think that I come prepped for that. You may not be aware that Orlando was named the "Angriest City in America" in 2008.

Hey, I may be in touch with you as the time nears. I'm still probably 2-3 months out.
  6. gatorbc

gatorbc VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Another SoCal Gator! Welcome Dream. It can be hard early on, but if you can swing it, avoid the Valley and live on the Westside. Better air, better food, plus the ocean!
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Yeah been in Vegas a little over a year now. Didn't know about the high-speed rail but flights are short and usually you can find a decent deal. Or its a quick drive. I actually spend more time down in San Diego which has a totally different vibe than LA.

By the way, I recently got NASM CPT myself but haven't really decided what I am going to do with it yet.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    Thanks, bc! You know, Westside might be doable. I come with meager resources, but I started out looking for rooms, and to my great surprise, rents seem to be on par with Orlando. I found (but didn't commit to) a 500 sq.ft. apt, just off Wilshire and Western, for $699. They'll even take my two dogs!

First step: find a job. Plan A is temporary, even part-time job (not picky) while I get the fitness off the ground.
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    NASM ? Wow! 96 considers that the going gold standard. Congrats! And I'll be glad to help in any way that I can. Of course when I get out there we'll have little excuse not to get together. I didn't realize that LV was that close.

And yes, San Diego has a nice vibe to it. I visited SD before I visited LA. and SD was, for me, what I expected LA to be like based on TV imagery. In fact, my sister and her partner want to eventual settle there. They're in Pasadena now.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Yeah it kind of happened on a whim. I looked into for my sister then she decided not to do it and i just went for it.

Not sure what your time frame is but ill be in San Diego after new years then in LA Feb 8th and March 8th for a few days each time.
  11. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    I'm looking at Feb-Mar. But don't sweat it. Now that I know that LV is only a four hour drive, I might just up and drive over that way some time. I've actually never seen the place. Maybe you could show me around ?
  12. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Definitely. People visiting is the excuse I need to see my city.
  13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    You're on then! I can tell you that, for the first couple of months, I'll probably just take one day a week to explore my new city.
  14. wllmferg

wllmferg New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Not sure you'd like Wilshire and Western unless you're well versed in Korean. Food is great but probably hard to find clients. Hollywood has greatly improved in the past five years and don't rule out Studio City and Sherman Oaks. Let us know when you make the move.
  15. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    Not rooted to a location. Just looking for a place to crash while I seek to draw clients from the larger metro. I do expect to do a fair bit of driving.

Funny on the Koreans though, when I was at Westminster Theological Seminary, fully 60% of the students there were Korean!

Thanks for the invite and likely will be in touch as I get closer. And as temporary non-fitness work may be a necessity, please let me know if you hear about anyone who's hiring. Not picky about the work I do. My work experience is fairly well-rounded, heavy one sales too.
  16. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +434
    I thought you were moving to Lower Alabama.
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    LA won on a coin toss. What are you going to do ?
  18. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +434
    But if Saban really does leave, you'll miss the implosion.
  19. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    Dream if you're being serious I envy your marriage. I'd love to find a woman who would be up for living somewhere based on what side a coin lands.
  20. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    Actually, I'm going through a divorce. It's sad, but one bright spot is that, while married, I always deferred to my wife on locations. Now of course I can go where I want to, me and my dogs.

LA did blindside me a bit though. One winning factor was hearing my sister out. The other winning factor was having family in an unknown city.

I've spent enough time in LA to know that I'd find it fascinating to live there, but never dared dream that I'd actually wind up there.