Moving forward, what is correctable? AKA square peg/round hole...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by KANSASGATOR, Sep 7, 2013.

1. KANSASGATOR

KANSASGATOR New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Issues:

1- Our RB's were TERRIBLE today. Who gets the rock is a coaching decision, but PLAYMAKERS should get touches at times, and that was not in our game plan today.
    We are forcing the issue with guys who cannot make anyone miss. On top of lacking elusive ability, fumbles were terrible.

2- Our QB is 6'4" - 230. He is running a zone read option at times, without running the ball. When we make him a pocket passer, he never makes a play down the field when things break down. Never. Let him RUN the ball and set up the pass. 33 passes for Driskel probably means we lose against even average competition.

Lou Holtz was right about our "bad scheme.". After a timeout, we have the biggest play of the game. 3rd and 3 late in the game. We throw the ball on a route that is impossible. Awful. Why isn't our 230 pound QB slamming ahead in an OBVIOUS 4 down situation. Even if we catch that ball, it is 4th down.

3- Coaching decisions - How do you decline a penalty late in the game against a team that is sooo stupid they are tossing the ball in the air on a reverse, when all they need to do is run the ball and punt? If your defense is your strength, why do you not let them win the game for you? At that point, don't you realize where your best chance to win is? Idiot coach on the other team just threw an awful INT on 3rd and 25. Ran a reverse before that. Lets see what that buffoon does next...

Did we really run an option on one of the most important plays of the game, without ever setting it up? WTF?

Do we know how to roll a pocket?

We punt only 4 times and lose? That is hard to do. Against the SEC defenses, what should be our plan of attack from here on out? Grind it out? Open up the offense, at least occasionally?

We look like a basketball team in the 90s that does not know there is a 3 point line. Just keep pounding it inside...

I thought Miami was terrible. Many of the teams we play in the months ahead will be better. Their QB was god-awful.

4- O-Line. They may not be great, but several times they gave Driskel 4+ seconds. They were at least average today, and not our issue at all. JD has to get rid of the ball.

What do we do differently when it comes to scheme, if anything?

What players need to come on the field? Who needs to sit?

PS, I hate losing to those guys for the 7th time in 8 games...
  2. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    Sometimes there are guys that are too good to keep off the field or not give touches to regardless if they're young or have certain deficiencies. Guys like Kelvin Taylor and Demarcus Robinson need touches. It can't be worse than what's currently being displayed.
  3. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Our RB's were not terrible. They played well, running hard into stacked fronts all day, and moving the chains at almost every opportunity. Yes, a long distance run would really help this offense, but give these kids some respect.
  4. KANSASGATOR

KANSASGATOR New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I agree. We have no new players in the frosh group at all? That does not bode well...
  5. KANSASGATOR

KANSASGATOR New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I strongly suggest you re-watch the game with a DVR. Some of my old players would call it "half-steppin."

I am not talking about 50 yard runs. Backs lack vision. Never made a play all day. Even when there is poor blocking, good RBs show a flash. Our kids look old and slow NFLers...