Moving forward on Swamp Gas

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Nov 3, 2013.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 14 / -1
    Still a couple issues on the new site that have not passed all the testing yet. I keep thinking any day now, but Solari will not open the new site for the sake of opening it so we will wait a bit.

During the game thread I think we only banned three posters. Two of those were for calling out another poster for a difference of opinion.Back and to are one thing, but calling someone out that is not even posting is not the kind of civility we were looking for.

In another thread I disagreed with another poster about Will being a Georgia plant, which on its face is silly, but as an insult it is one that challenges the integrity of the coach, which is not allowed.

That poster challenged me and said I could be satisfied with mediocrity as long as I chose to.

I do not normally post my football opinion about coaches and such here, but people think because I close so many threads that I must be one that does not want any change. Truth is, I close those threads because Solari and I made a decision three weeks ago we were going to clamp down on the hostilities on the free side when we moved. So, I have asked the mods to dial back on some of the back and to, especially when we move. I think this will hurt the critics of the program more than the non because critics will be more critical and stray over the line, the non critics will be critical other posters, but not as much toward the team.

However, to suggest that because the mods try to follow the rules of GC, as set by Solari and myself, that we are all aligned to one side of the argument is wrong. I think more mods are for some big changes than those opposed.

I think it is time for a change and probably should be the head coach. I think there are too many problems that will not change overnight with a new offensive line coach or a coordinator. I do not think the injuries on offense hurt as much as the one to Easley on defense. So, in my very limited football reasoning I am not as critical to the defense as I am to the offense.

However, in two of the losses we have had we have shown really poor sportsmanship that I had not seen in a while. While I do not blame the coaching for all of that, having a coach with so much fire and venom on the sideline always in the ref's ear does not set the example it should. We have had other coaches stay on the refs. such as SOS and Meyer, but not like Will and I believe it bleeds over.

Also, if Will went after a fan tonight for giving him the finger, well that was wrong on him. Will is a paid rep of the university and he has to learn to laugh at idiots like that and move on.

If our fans want to voice their views about Will or any coach or player, GC supports that, but to call them names, question their integrity, call them quitters and then go after a member because he disagrees and to call them names will get a member banned and it will have nothing to do with their opinion about coaching. If you think that is a crock then look at the boards and the threads. There are plenty of critics and non critics. Also, to call someone a non Gator or a sunshine pumper because they have differing opinions is against the rules. GatorGal04 covered that already.

There are ways to disagree without stooping to a middle school level.

We do not allow fire coaching threads that are not supported with civil reasoning. The poster who posted to fire the coach several times yesterday was only posting it so that it would be on the site, that was his support. To think we were not allowing that sort of discussion showed that the member was just wanting to stir the flames.

I hope this will explain the direction GC is going better than my previous post.
  2. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 14 / -1
    Two of the bans were just a couple of days and I will probably lift them after I get home from church tomorrow.

The other was permanent.
  3. tim85

tim85 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +637 / 29 / -3
    :cry:
  4. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375 / 0 / -0
    I let stats speak for themselves. There is no reason to attack other posters for their opinions or players who are playing to the best of their abilities in our current system.

Muschamp has a poor record against top 25 opponents since the UGA game last year (other than FSU win) and his overall record against SEC opponents is not very good and could get worse. There is a very real possibility we will lose to both Vandy and South Carolina, as well as FSU. What will everyone say if this occurs?

You could certainly argue that Muschamp's been hurt by unprecedented injuries to OL, skill positions, .... and defense has certainly declined without Easley to anchor. That said, Muschamp has relied on Meyer players to win and when Urban's players departed after last year or were injured this year, what depth does Muschamp have to take the slack? Can Muschamp and staff evaluate talent? Has our S&C improved or regressed? Are increased injuries a result of Muschamp S&C program? It is all about the QB and Muschamp does not have one, but he has not found one in his first few recruiting classes either (Jeff was an Urban commit). I think we will really struggle next year when the team consists solely of Muschamp recruits.

I know a Ray Goff and Ron Zook type coach when I see one and Muschamp falls in that category. His choices for Offensive Coordinator (2) have been poor and we have gone from a top 10 offense to a bottom 10 offense under his watch. If he can't score 30 points per game against SEC opponents, he is not long for the coaching profession.

This is an entertainment business as well and an offense that does not score touchdowns can't win in this league, regardless of the defense you put on the field. Muschamp says that defenses win championships, but good offenses entertain fans and fill the seats. UF fans will not renew tickets next year and will vote with their wallets. Foley will have no choice when 10,000 seats are not renewed next year.

I love UF, enjoy watching the Gators, will provide Muschamp with one more year due to injuries, but if we continue to have the same offensive struggles next year, I will join others in suggesting we transition to another coach. I would never hire a coach without head coaching experience again, as you don't learn on the job at UF. We are too good a program for that.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 21 / -22
    We were not a top ten offense in 2010 under Steve Addazio. The wheels started to come off in 2009 if you recall. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but not your own facts, as they say.
  6. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +65 / 12 / -5
    Must say I was surprised "Apology accepted, pumpers" fit any of the criteria for a ban, seemed tamer than a lot of other posts in the game thread, but good to be back.
  7. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless

Ratings Received:
    +46 / 1 / -0
    Labeling other members and then calling them out is not civil. It is a veiled insult where you are claiming to be right and those YOU label as 'pumpers' need to apologize for not realizing that YOU are right.

This forum IS going to go back to being more civil. That may mean a number of members will be leaving. Members who insist on attacking others directly or indirectly will become past members.

None of us are perfect and each of us can learn and grow by listening and respecting the opinions and views of others. The golden rule always works; treat other posters the way you would want them to treat you.

This season has been really tough and hard on anyone who loves the Gators. This increases the emotion and tension while lowering the apparent maturity. We need to strive to chill a bit so we treat others better.

Thanks to everyone for trying and, of course, Go Gators!!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +65 / 12 / -5
    There was nobody in particular which it was targeted at, and claiming to be right isn't an insult and if it is then the bannings will be infinite, but ok then. I suppose it comes with a rough season.
  9. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 14 / -1
    There were actually two posts made that created the ban.....it really had nothing to do with the game and you are right they were not direct. However, we had a thread by GatorGal04 that sat at the top for a month or so about the calling out of different groups.

My intention was not to banish you forever, but to stop the sunshine stuff. I might could have done it with a PM, but too often one of those game PMs can go on and on. I do apologize for making a hasty decision.

I do believe we will lose a few dozen posters going forward because I see folks that believe they have the right to post whatever they wish and that is just not going to happen.

We had a poster last night post a message 4 times saying "ban me for this but it has to be posted", well after four times he got banned. Today he wrote the help desk all upset that we would ban him and that GC was just a cheerleader for the team and allowed no negative discussion, which is a lie.
  10. LurkerExposed

LurkerExposed Member

Ratings Received:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I believe the phrases are "back and forth", and "to and fro"....
  11. EbSaxman

EbSaxman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 82 / -10
    I'm glad you guys are cleaning up some of these argumentative threads and posters. Pretty much none of the posters (me included) have any real knowledge of football so even statistics are effectively opinions (because we don't really know what they are telling us most of the time).

My thinking this morning is that the personal fouls we saw in the second half of Saturday's game were a very direct result of the team beginning to show some fire. Not the best way to demonstrate that but from where I was sitting the Georgia players (as usual) were being very chippy and demonstrative. The fans started to get excited, the noise level went way up, the energy on the field increased by multiple factors, and the team started moving the ball. Unfortunately, they came up short, but I saw something in the second half that I have not seen in YEARS. The guys on this team are very talented but they have not used the skills that they are being taught. This may have just been a short lived thing or it might mean they are turning the corner. We will find out on Saturday. If they come out with fire and passion and play winning football I think you have your answer. If they come out flat and uninspired then that tells us something else.

Lastly, I think that turnovers are the worst thing that can happen during a game. They are the killer. That applies to a program, as well. If Mushchamp is fired, then we will have to go through the turnover process again. With the Zook to Meyer process we had not had much disruption for years and Meyer was able to make it work in only 2 years. With the state of the program today, I would estimate that you will not see a top candidate emerge and we will have many years before we see a stable coaching situation. Mushchamp's defensive coaching skills are very solid, Pease is unknown. But firing him is in my opinion the last thing the administration should consider for at a minimum one more year. Just my 2 cents.
  12. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I don't think you can keep someone just because you are afraid of the consequences.

I think losing to Miami, UGA, and FSU in the same year coupled with a 4-11 or 4-12 record vs ranked teams (4-14 vs ranked team by season's end) gets you fired at any top program not just here. Call it spoiled or call it having the bar raised...the bottom line is that Muschamp isn't getting the job done he is being paid to do. Win games, win the SEC East, win the SEC , and ultimately win a national championship. I am looking for progress especially from a first time head coach. All I see is regression.
  13. EbSaxman

EbSaxman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 82 / -10
    I'd say your points are well made and valid. We'll see what happens and hope for the best. In all kinds of weather ...
  14. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +271 / 9 / -1
    ^^^THIS^^^

And, name one time in the last 25 years that a UF team lost 8 starters in the same year?

People can compare WM-Zook-Meyer-SOS. The SEC is deeper now than under SOS.

The team WM inherited from Meyer was a disaster, sure complain about the Weiss hire, fine but who was bitching when he was hired?
  15. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +523 / 40 / -5
    Getting back to the thread topic - I am very pleased to see this new resolve of the GC forums to control the unnecessary personal attacks and negativity from certain members who think they are still in "middle school".

I have visited other college football forums and one in particular has always impressed me because of the degree of moderation which eliminates those who think they can just post whatever they want.

Swamp Gas is for those who enjoy Florida football and want to see it flourish. Undoubtedly there are times when as fans we are unhappy with various situations but let's maintain a sense of decorum and indeed post with respect for others.

I promise to do my part as well.....no more pics of crying babies. ;)
  16. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,699 / 109 / -27
    I personally find it odd that there's a policy that's attempting to relegate this board to more positive discussion and the paid board for more critical stuff.

It's almost as if the demand for criticism is high so you're attempting to bank on it. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a policy should be fairly uniform.
  17. swampbabe

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 21 / -22
    Or maybe they don't want our dirty laundry and back biting run so far up the flag pole that anybody and everybody can see it, including parents and recruits. Just my thoughts.
  18. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,699 / 109 / -27
    That's like standing in front of a forest fire to keep people from seeing it.
  19. swampbabe

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 21 / -22
    Maybe, but I think that some people have reached a new low. But what do I know :grin:
  20. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 14 / -1
    You know more than some other posters who think they know something about everything...