Movie A Day

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by anstro76, Jan 7, 2014.

1. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Schedule plus the us postal service is making it hard to do on the appointed day. Still have to watch it tonight. Looking forward to the film.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,713

I am off schedule as well- went back to work on Tuesday after being off 6 weeks to help my wife rehab after kneee replacement, has me thinking more seriously about cashing in and retiring :)
    I rather liked spending much of my time, working outside, gardening and landscaping then having time to cook & bake ................
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    i'll go by the tone of your post that all's good with the knee. well wishes to her, bad knees are a tough one. and if you find yourself with too many baked goods i can send my address :)
  4. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +9,713
    she had one done in sept and the second in dec as close as the doc recommended- she is doing very well- thank you for the kind words- she has been a lot of pain the last few years and we are looking forward to the mechanical knees and no pain- haven't been to Savannah or the Blue Ridge in quite a few year because of the pain walking gave her but those trips are back on the agenda-
    as for the baked goods we have 2 grandkids a girl, 9 going on 15 and a boy who will be 6 on tusday- there is nary a crumb when they finish with anything I scratch together :) The are both pretty good at scratch biscuits- i have to help him measure but he does the rest- Miranda could do them by herself but prefers to have me watch - at least for now-
    rest well - very pleased with your continued success on your journey.... it ain't easy but well worth it
    regards
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Jan.31
    Winter Soldier
    Winterfilm Collective
    Rusty Sachs, Scott Camil, John Kerry
    RT-100% IMDB-8/10

In the late 1960's, the war in Vietnam was widely criticized by activists and college students across the United States, but at the dawn of the 1970's new voices joined the outcry against the war. Vietnam Veterans Against the War (or VVAW) was a group formed by men who had served in Vietnam and had come to believe that the war -- and America's presence in it -- was wrong. In early 1971, as reports of the 1968 My Lai Massacre and the court martial of Lt. William Calley were still in the news, the VVAW organized what they called "the Winter Soldier Investigation," in which Vietnam vets and VVAW members were encouraged to come forward and take part in public hearings in which they discussed war crimes they had witnessed first hand. Held in Detroit, the hearings were an emotional outpouring in which veterans discussed horrific violence against civilians, women and children, talked about how military commanders sought to dehumanize the Viet Cong in the eyes of the soldiers, and expressed their desire to prevent other young men from suffering as they did. A handful of filmmakers were on hand to document the event, and Winter Soldier is a disturbing but often moving account of men coming to terms with the horrors of war. While the makers of Winter Soldier were uncredited on screen, they included Fred Aranow, Nancy Baker, Robert Fiore, David Gillis, Barbara Koppel, Michael Lesser and Michael Weil. The title of the film and the investigation came from the work of Thomas Paine, who in 1776 wrote, "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
  6. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +9,713
    Camil was part of the Gville 8 back in the day, he is still around and surfaces from time, I haven't seen him in decades but we have several mutual friends........
  7. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    I wasn't sure what the reaction to that movie was going to be
  8. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Feb.1
    It Happened One Night
    Frank Capra
    Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert
    RT-98% IMDB 8.3/10

Frank Capra's seminal screwball comedy, which won all five major Academy Awards for 1934, is still as breezy and beguiling today. Claudette Colbert plays Ellie Andrews, a spoiled heiress who has married fortune-hunting aviator King Westley (Jameson Thomas), despite her father (Walter Connolly)'s objections. To keep Ellie from marrying this lothario, her father has been holding her prisoner aboard his yacht. But Ellie bolts from the yacht, swims ashore in her clothes, and eventually slips onto a Greyhound bus bound for New York. Aboard the bus is newspaper reporter Peter Warne (Clark Gable), who has recently been fired for drinking on the job. Peter gets the last seat on the bus -- but when he gets up to argue with the bus driver, Ellie takes his seat. Since it is the last seat on the bus, they have to share it. When Ellie has her purse stolen and she refuses to report it, Peter begins to suspect something. The next morning, they both miss the bus after a leisurely breakfast, and Peter reveals that he knows her identity. She makes a deal with him: if he helps her get to New York, he can write a scoop about her for his paper. Peter thinks she is a spoiled brat, however, and refuses a monetary bribe: "I'm not interested in your money or your problem. You, King Westley, your father -- you're all a lot of hooey to me!" But as they travel northward and engage in a series of misadventures, the gruff newspaperman and the spoiled rich girl, thrown together by circumstances, fall in love with each other. This movie set the pace for the "screwball" comedy, the witty and romantic clash of temperaments between a man and a woman mismatched in both personality and social position, a type of movie often associated with Katherine Hepburn in such classics as Bringing Up Baby (1938), The Philadelphia Story (1940), and, with Spencer Tracy, Adam's Rib (1949), Pat and Mike (1952), and Desk Set (1957), among others. The only other movies to win all five major Academy Awards (Best Picture, Actor, Actress, Director, and Screenplay) were One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) and The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
  9. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +9,713
    don't think I ever saw that one ^^^^^^^^
  10. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Feb.2
    Groundhog Day
    Harold Ramis
    Bill Murray, Andie MacDowell
    RT-97% IMDB-8.1/10

Bill Murray plays Phil, a TV weatherman working for a local station in Pennsylvania but convinced that national news stardom is in his grasp. Phil displays a charm and wit on camera that evaporates the moment the red light goes off; he is bitter, appallingly self-centered, and treats his co-workers with contempt, especially his producer Rita (Andie MacDowell) and cameraman Larry (Chris Elliot). On February 2, 1992, Phil, Rita, and Larry are sent on an assignment that Phil especially loathes: the annual Groundhog Day festivities in Punxsutawney, PA, where the citizens await the appearance of Punxsutawney Phil, the groundhog who will supposedly determine the length of winter by his ability to see his own shadow. Phil is eager to beat a hasty retreat, but when a freak snowstorm strands him in Punxsutawney, he wakes up the next morning with the strangest sense of déjà vu: he seems to be living the same day over again. The next morning it happens again, and then again. Soon, no matter what he does, he's stuck in February 2, 1992; not imprisonment nor attempted suicide nor kidnapping the groundhog gets him out of the loop. But the more Phil relives the same day, the more he's forced to look at other people's lives, and something unusual happens: he begins to care about others. He starts to respect people, he tries to save the life of a homeless man, and he discovers that he's falling in love with Rita and therefore wants to be someone that she could love in return
  11. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Feb.3
    Trust
    Hal Hartley
    Adrienne Shelly, Martin Donovan
    RT-82% IMDB-7.8/10

The unlikely relationship between a pregnant high school student and a brooding electronics repairman lies at the center of this droll comedy from writer-director Hal Hartley. Intelligent but unconventional, Maria (Adrienne Shelly) has more to worry about than her pregnancy, as her expectant state drives away her boyfriend and triggers a fatal heart attack in her father. Meanwhile, Matthew (Martin Donovan) has his own problems: an abusive father, a heightened sense of morality that prevents him from taking semi-lucrative television repair jobs, and a suicidal streak that causes him to carry around a potentially deadly grenade. The meeting of these troubled minds at first promises to be beneficial for both, but sours as they are forced to interact with each other's dysfunctional families. As in all of Hartley's pictures, the narrative is filtered through an amusingly detached sensibility that some may consider an acquired taste
  12. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +9,713
    Groundhog Day is a classic and favorite of mine, never heard of Trust tho
  13. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    That's what I'm digging about the list. Watching some I'd never take a second look at. But enough classics to keep me sane... well as sane as I can be.
  14. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +9,713
    I learned early on that Sanity is highly overrated

:cool:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Feb.4(as a romero fan this is a treat)
    Night of the Living Dead
    George A. Romero
    Duane Jones, Judith O'Day
    RT-96% IMDB-8/10 Anstro76-5 stars

When unexpected radiation raises the dead, a microcosm of Average America has to battle flesh-eating zombies in George A. Romero's landmark cheapie horror film. Siblings Johnny (Russ Streiner) and Barbara (Judith O'Dea) whine and pout their way through a graveside visit in a small Pennsylvania town, but it all takes a turn for the worse when a zombie kills Johnny. Barbara flees to an isolated farmhouse where a group of people are already holed up. Bickering and panic ensue as the group tries to figure out how best to escape, while hoards of undead converge on the house; news reports reveal that fire wards them off, while a local sheriff-led posse discovers that if you "kill the brain, you kill the ghoul." After a night of immolation and parricide, one survivor is left in the house.... Romero's grainy black-and-white cinematography and casting of locals emphasize the terror lurking in ordinary life; as in Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds (1963), Romero's victims are not attacked because they did anything wrong, and the randomness makes the attacks all the more horrifying. Nothing holds the key to salvation, either, whether it's family, love, or law. Topping off the existential dread is Romero's then-extreme use of gore, as zombies nibble on limbs and viscera. Initially distributed by a Manhattan theater chain owner, Night, made for about 100,000 dollars, was dismissed as exploitation, but after a 1969 re-release, it began to attract favorable attention for scarily tapping into Vietnam-era uncertainty and nihilistic anxiety. By 1979, it had grossed over 12 million, inspired a cycle of apocalyptic splatter films like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), and set the standard for finding horror in the mundane. However cheesy the film may look, few horror movies reach a conclusion as desolately unsettling
  16. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +9,713
    Saw that one at the Drive In, good thing the movie was good, the rest of the entertainment was forgettable :)
    • Like Like x 2
  17. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    tried the scary movie angle, at the drive in no less..repping the old school jjh! nice job
    • Like Like x 2
  18. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Feb.5
    The Truman Show
    Peter Weir
    Jim Carey, Laura Linney, Ed Harris
    RT-94% IMDB 8/10

Peter Weir directed this comedy-drama, a commentary on all-pervasive media manipulation. Scripted by Andrew M. Niccol (Gattaca), the film plays like a combination of the British TV series The Prisoner and Paul Bartel's The Secret Cinema. Truman Burbank (Jim Carrey) is unaware that his entire life is a hugely popular 24-hour-a-day TV series. In this real-time documentary, every moment of Truman's existence is captured by concealed cameras and telecast to a giant global audience. His friends and family are actors who smile pleasantly at Truman's familiar catchphrase greeting, "In case I don't see you later, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" Employed at an insurance company, Truman is married to merry Meryl (Laura Linney), and they live in the cheerful community of Seahaven, an island "paradise" where the weather is always mild and no unpleasantness intrudes. This is the basic situation of the series, which has grown over the years into a billion-dollar franchise for the TV network. As an unwanted pregnancy, Truman was adopted by the network and raised in the zoo like environment of a TV soundstage. Thus, the TV audience became hooked when Truman was very young. Now, at age 30, he still doesn't know he's a prisoner on an immense domed city-size soundstage, simulating Seahaven. Both the illusion and the ratings will collapse if Truman ever leaves Seahaven. In addition to elaborate events staged to make sure he stays put, Truman is given constant reminders of how wonderful Seahaven is compared to dangers in other parts of the world. However, his growing suspicions make him curious enough to try to leave, and the show's director and master manipulator Christof (Ed Harris) must constantly devise ways to thwart Truman's escape attempts. To enter the harbor, Truman must overcome his fear of water, intentionally instilled in him when his father "died" in a boating accident and was written out of the script. Exteriors were filmed in the Victorian-styled upscale community of Seaside, Florida. In addition to the Burkhard Dallwitz score, original music by Philip Glass and classical excerpts are also featured
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  19. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +9,713
    never saw it- how many Anstro Asterisks did it merit?
  20. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    saw it a long time ago, going to watch again tonight. i really liked it then. i'll give asterisks after the rewatch which will follow my house of cards binge :)
    • Friendly Friendly x 1