Movie A Day

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by anstro76, Jan 7, 2014.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,672
    based on the summary not one I would watch- what was your take?
  2. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    I liked it. but I enjoy pixar movies. i had already seen it a few years ago, but worth a rewatch
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Jan. 13
    Rashomon
    Akira Kurosawa
    Toshiro Mifune, Machiko Kyo, Masayuki Mori, Tashiki Shimura

This landmark film is a brilliant exploration of truth and human weakness. It opens with a priest, a woodcutter, and a peasant taking refuge from a downpour beneath a ruined gate in 12th-century Japan. The priest and the woodcutter, each looking stricken, discuss the trial of a notorious bandit for rape and murder. As the retelling of the trial unfolds, the participants in the crime -- the bandit (Toshiro Mifune), the rape victim (Machiko Kyo), and the murdered man (Masayuki Mori) -- tell their plausible though completely incompatible versions of the story. In the bandit's version, he and the man wage a spirited duel after the rape, resulting in the man's death. In the woman's testimony, she is spurned by her husband after being raped. Hysterical with grief, she kills him. In the man's version, speaking through the lips of a medium, the bandit beseeches the woman after the rape to go away with him. She insists that the bandit kill her husband first, which angers the bandit. He spurns her and leaves. The man kills himself. Seized with guilt, the woodcutter admits to the shocked priest and the commoner that he too witnessed the crime. His version is equally feasible, although his veracity is questioned when it is revealed that he stole a dagger from the crime scene. Just as all seems bleak and hopeless, a baby appears behind the gate. The commoner seizes the moment and steals the child's clothes, while the woodcutter redeems himself and humanity in the eyes of the troubled priest, by adopting the infant
  4. Sylez_G_Koolaid

Sylez_G_Koolaid Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +503
    Never heard of some of these movies, bro. Just saw that We're The Millers movie and that was some funny ish!
  5. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    the strip scene was worth it alone
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    five stars for rashomon. recommended for anyone into great story telling. boring for those who need constant action and effects
  7. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Jan. 14
    Body Heat
    Lawrence Kasdan
    William Hurt, Kathleen Turner, Richard Crenna

Lawrence Kasdan's first directorial effort is a throwback to the early days of film noir. The scene is a beastly hot Florida coastal town, where naive attorney Ned (William Hurt) is entranced by the alluring Matty (Kathleen Turner in her film debut). Ned is manipulated into killing Matty's much older husband (Richard Crenna), the plan being that Ned's knowledge of legal matters will enable both conspirators to escape scott-free. This might have been the case, had not Matty been infinitely craftier than the cloddish Ned. Just when it seems as though the film has run out of plot twists, we're handed yet another surprise.
  8. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +9,672
    started it several times, never could make it to the ending :(
  9. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    that's the good thing about the book it's like i have to :eek:
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Jan. 15
    High Noon
    Fred Zinnemann
    Gary Cooper, Grace Kelly, Lloyd Bridges

This Western classic stars Gary Cooper as Hadleyville marshal Will Kane, about to retire from office and go on his honeymoon with his new Quaker bride, Amy (Grace Kelly). But his happiness is short-lived when he is informed that the Miller gang, whose leader (Ian McDonald) Will had arrested, is due on the 12:00 train. Pacifist Amy urges Will to leave town and forget about the Millers, but this isn't his style; protecting Hadleyburg has always been his duty, and it remains so now. But when he asks for deputies to fend off the Millers, virtually nobody will stand by him. Chief Deputy Harvey Pell (Lloyd Bridges) covets Will's job and ex-mistress (Katy Jurado); his mentor, former lawman Martin Howe (Lon Chaney Jr.) is now arthritic and unable to wield a gun. Even Amy, who doesn't want to be around for her husband's apparently certain demise, deserts him. Meanwhile, the clocks tick off the minutes to High Noon -- the film is shot in "real time," so that its 85-minute length corresponds to the story's actual timeframe. Utterly alone, Kane walks into the center of town, steeling himself for his showdown with the murderous Millers. Considered a landmark of the "adult western," High Noon won four Academy Awards (including Best Actor for Cooper) and Best Song for the hit, "Do Not Forsake Me, O My Darling" sung by Tex Ritter. The screenplay was written by Carl Foreman, whose blacklisting was temporarily prevented by star Cooper, one of Hollywood's most virulent anti-Communists. John Wayne, another notable showbiz right-winger and Western hero, was so appalled at the notion that a Western marshal would beg for help in a showdown that he and director Howard Hawks "answered" High Noon with Rio Bravo
  11. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +9,672
    High Noon is one western I enjoyed - at a Drive -In no less :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    i agree even though it was hard at times to picture grace kelly as a frontierswoman
    esp. with the wardrobe they gave her
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +9,672
    very beautiful and talented woman, died way too young
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Thanks for putting up with me jjh. I feel if I keep it in the public eye I'll finally stick to it. o_O
    • Like Like x 1
  15. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Jan.16
    She's Gotta Have It
    Spike Lee
    Tracy Camilla Johns, Tommy Redmond Hicks, John Canada Terell, Spike Lee

Spike Lee's breakthrough independent feature, shot in fifteen days on a budget of $175,000, ushered in (along with Jim Jarmusch's Stranger Than Paradise) the American independent film movement of the 1980s. It was also a groundbreaking film for African-American filmmakers and a welcome change in the representation of blacks in American cinema, depicting men and women of color not as pimps and whores, but as intelligent, upscale urbanites. Lee's slight tale, which carries much psychological and historical baggage, concerns Nola Darling (Tracy Camila Johns), a young, self-assured Brooklyn woman who juggles three boyfriends -- the polite and well-meaning Jamie Overstreet (Tommy Redmond Hicks), the self-obsessed male model Greer Childs (John Canada Terrell), and the comical bicycle messenger Mars Blackmon (Spike Lee). Nola doesn't want to commit to any of her boyfriends, cherishing her personal freedom. But as their relationships with Nola grow, each man wants her for himself
  16. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +9,672
    Spike gave the leads a chance but none of them made much of a splash after this film :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    well let's not forget those air jordan commercials.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Jan.17
    The Red Shoes
    Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger
    Moira Shearer, Anton Wallbrook, Marius Goring

Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's influential musical tragedy set the stage for the climactic dance ballets that became a staple of the Arthur Freed-MGM musicals (An American in Paris, Singin' in the Rain and The Band Wagon) of the early 1950s. Hans Christian Andersen's tragic fairy tale forms the basis of this film about betrayal, love and art. The story begins as struggling composer Julian Craster (Marius Goring) attends a performance of the Lermontov Ballet Company and recognizes his own score in the production of "Hearts of Fire." Julian protests to ballet company director Boris Lermontov (Anton Walbrook) about the unauthorized use of his music. Impressed by Julian's talent, Boris hires him to compose the score for his next ballet -- a dance version of "The Red Shoes." Boris also hires an attractive young dancer, Victoria Page (Moira Shearer), to perform in the ballet. When the lead ballerina announces that she plans to get married, Boris, in a pique over being abandoned, casts Victoria in the starring role. As Julian works on the score and Victoria struggles to perfect her dance technique, the two fall in love. When "The Red Shoes" ballet is premiered -- seen in a stunning and glorious fifteen-minute sequence -- it is a raging success and it makes Victoria a star. But when Boris learns that Julian and Victoria have fallen in love, Boris, who is secretly in love with Victoria, in a fit of rage forces Julian to leave the ballet company; Victoria leaves with him. Since Boris owns the rights to "The Red Shoes" ballet, he forbids Victoria to perform the dance and she becomes unemployable. Time passes and Julian and Victoria are now happily married. Julian's compositions have made him an international success. One day, with Victoria disembarking from a train in Paris, she meets Boris, who implores her to do one performance of "The Red Shoes" in Monaco. Victoria agrees as Julian cancels an engagement in London to travel to Monte Carlo in order to convince his wife not to perform the ballet. But Victoria goes on with the performance, with tragic results.
  19. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    probably won't see this until tomorrow my dvd que is starting to get backed up.
  20. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +9,672
    I would have to be in just the right mood (if you get my drift) to get in to The Red Shoes, saw it once while at UF.
    They used to have films on the weekend shown at one of the JHMHC auditoriums, to be discreet, they drew an eclectic crowd but nothing compared to the regulars at the Reitz Union auditorium flicks for the Green Lantern, Captain America and the like.
    The films I enjoyed most at JHMHC were The Trial and Warhol's 24 hr movie **** I made 6 hours of it :)