Mouse On Old Puter No Longer Working

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by gatorfan5220, May 31, 2013.

1. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,628
    Cursor wont move...I need to move files from old puter to new one.

There are two similar slots where I put in a pronged lead from the old mouse. Regardless of which one I use the old mouse wont work. Odd! I even tried using new mouse on old puter and it didnt work either.

What's up? I even logged off old puter then back on to no avail.
  2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless

Ratings Received:
    +201
    You are certainly enjoying some computer ‘fun’ of late. As I understand it your old computer refuses to work with either the old or new mouse. Correct me if that is not the case.

You say you logged off the old computer. Did you turn it off and back on, as well?

Most modern mice are optical so there is a light that shines when it is connected. If yours is an optical mouse does the light shine when connected? Do both mice work on the new computer?
  3. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,628
    The English lexicon has words such as:

Computer Nerd and Geek to describe those types who are experts.

Lake, it does not have such lingo to describe people like me, in our 60's, who get confused with all this "newfangled" equipment.

So, my mouse is an older type using a wire connection. I tried hooking up the new mouse to the old puter but could not successfully find the right slot to put it in.

Go easy with me, this is all confusing and troubling.
  4. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless

Ratings Received:
    +201
    Actually, there is a great word to describe you and your kind. It is HUMAN. Humans shouldn’t need to be expert or savvy on computer technology. Sadly, when the bleeping things don’t behave like normal household appliances the impact on humans can be painful.

Sorry but we’re going to have to insult your humanity a bit with computer terms a bit. There are generally two types of mouse connections with an approximation of the two types in the picture below.

Modern mice tend to use the USB interface which is the yellow plug in the picture below. My GUESS is that your new mouse is this rectangle USB type and your old one is the PS2 round plug similar to the ones above the yellow box. New computers usually don’t have PS2 sockets, using USB slots for most things that plug into the computer.

USB has been around for 15 years or so. Unless your old computer is REALLY old it should have some USB ports that can accept a modern mouse. Look for some sockets on the back or front of your old computer that have the shape shown inside the yellow square in the picture below:

[​IMG]

Here is an article that describes how to connect the different mouse types to a system that doesn’t natively support it. There are inexpensive adaptors that make it easy.

Hang in there!
  5. gatormoe1

gatormoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Could be driver related

As long as all the other ports (keyboard, monitor etc) work, I'd assume its not a motherboard issue.

Worst case scenario you could take the hard drive (the thing all your files are on) out and plug it into your new PC and just drag and drop the files you want on there.

I'm just throwing stuff out there but either way, Lake will get you going.
  6. JaxGator

JaxGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Take up knitting...