Most/least religious states

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, Feb 4, 2014.

1. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,770
    I think there's probably more than the top 1 percent involved if you look at median figures.
    But even if you're right, why do the wealthiest people live in the least religious states?
  2. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,223
    Because they need their material possessions River. Gotta keep up with the Joneses. If that is one's focus, you likely are not religious.
  3. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    I'm wondering why the folks on the right who regularly label such folks as "moochers" and/or "parasites" are now silent?
  4. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,223
    maybe because there is a difference between religious right and fiscal right?

Just a guess.
  5. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    Doesn't explain why the regular right wing parasite mongers on this board are silent.

I tend to believe it's because they don't identify people living in these states as the other. It's easy claim parasitism when one (mistakenly) sees it only in alleged lazy, hippy liberals and African American welfare queens much harder when these people are god fearing southern folk who might be their family, friends, neighbors.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +275
    Who is silent? I don't care if you're in the heart of Dixie or on the California coast. If you're living off "entitlements" you're a parasite.

By the way, I love that investment income is called "unearned income" and welfare is called "entitlements".
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550
    Welfare isnt an "entitlement" its a temporary means-tested program.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. malligator

Ratings Received:
    +275
    Temporary? You're joking, right?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550
    TANF (aka "welfare") = temporary assistance for needy families.

Even if it werent, it would still not be an "entitlement" because only people who meet the requirements of the program can receive benefits.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,223
    They are too busy working to pay for the moochers! Or praying that they get their checks in the mail.

Besides, this aint exactly the first time one the resident democrat apologists/libs has posted some bait thread about religion and those receiving govt benes. Its just old news, thats all.
  11. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    They never seem to be too busy when it's perceived as someone else. Besides, it's apparently not old news when it comes to framing it as liberals being the recipients, is it?

Maybe dems are apologists, but is that really any worse than the right wing hypocrites who can only conceptualize alleged moochers in extremely narrow terms? I suppose it hits too close for home, which is why they are silent.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  12. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,770
    you might want to look at the OP and then realize how mistaken you are.
  13. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,223
    You are right Riv. The first response in the thread got this thing to where we are now.

You get credit for being that guy. Congrats.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,223
    1) I didnt see the OP framing anything with regards to receipt of govt benes. Matter of fact, his post wasnt that at all. It wasnt until Riv initially responded that the fiscal side was brought in which immediately took the thread in a fiscal direction rather than one of religion.

2) No different IMO.

3) Probably.
  15. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,142
    A lot of the, using your words here, African American welfare queens, claim to be religious, a huge portion of the black community claim to be religious, would they not count towards these statistics? How many of these, again your words, African American welfare queens live in these southern states compared to Northern ones?
  16. malligator

Ratings Received:
    +275
    I don't know what TANF is. I've never been on welfare. When I say welfare I mean the entire safety net. It's not temporary.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,770
    what did you think the OP's intent was?
  18. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,238
    Oh, can I try? God hates taxes, liberals, and homos? Or maybe God-fearing people hate taxes, liberals, and homos?
  19. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,563
    While I'm hesitant to quote a comedian, in this regard Chris Rock was right. The media has conditioned people to think of welfare recipients as black by showing black people every time they talk about welfare, but in Rock's words "there are a bunch of broke-ass white people" getting welfare too.

Demographically, about the same percentage of welfare recipients are white and black (persons of hispanic backgroud are a smaller percentage, asians are a much smaller percentage). The group making up the largest percentage of cash assistance recipients is single white mothers. Admittedly African Americans make up a smaller percentage of the population and are thus in any individual case more likely to be on welfare than any random white person, but they are also statistically three times as likely to be poor. Once you limit the field to only looking at poor people, roughly the same percentage of the poor white population as the poor black population applies for and receives welfare, so it's not like there's some disproportionate tendency amongst the poor black community to run to the government while the poor white community rejects the handouts and tries to pull themselves up - the numbers simply don't support that claim.

There's a fairly strong tendency in political discourse to treat "welfare" as meaning "black," and the numbers don't really match up with that characterization. Why is more government support being expended on southern states? Because the income in southern states tends to be lower and thus both white and black people are more likely to be poor than in states with higher incomes.

(Separately, but of note, if you look at self-described political views, Pew found that the percentage of persons identifying as liberal, moderate, or conservative who reported having ever received food stamps was the exact same across all three: 17%)

I think that's what jdr's driving at, there's a disconnect where people don't want to admit that folks who look and think like them are on welfare too, including religious white conservatives. Even though the data says that they clearly are.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,223
    I think his real intent was to drag out the ol riverdancer and expose him for what he is. Just an old, angry, liberal fart who hates religious folks.

Just kidding Riv. Dont know the OPer. I dont assume any intent on his part.