Most embarrassing Fox interview ever?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jul 29, 2013.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    This is his quote, via you:

Maybe the "great" word is throwing you off here, but it doesn't look to be tacit praise, particularly given the company like Muntzer.

He's saying OBL is a radical who has changed the direction of a religion. I don't think that's a particularly inarguable nor controversial point.

He certainly wasn't saying:

2. DeanMeadGator

DeanMeadGator '63 Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    Rabbit ears and tin foil, taking tubes to the drug store to test them in the tube tester, doctor came to the house every afternoon after I cut an artery in my knee, collected bottle caps, and shooting cap guns at each other was fun!

I told two of our grandchildren about the milkman leaving the bottle of milk on the front porch. They were astounded.

Only the Shadow knows. :grin::wink:
  3. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +722

No, not stung. Wearied by it all would be a more apt description. As for making it personal, that was more your tack in the reply (#78) I responded to - even though your reply was seemingly, or even misleadingly, addressed to Ben. Your points in that reply were a refutation of what I had written in my reply to him.

Am I arrogant and condescending? Probably so at times. It's a trap that one can fall into when aggravated. It was not my intention to be so in my response to you. Perhaps I was only reflecting what was projected towards me. I had not intended to engage in a discussion / debate on the merits or evidence of the divinity of Jesus. Been there - done that and as I wrote, moved on. Your charge that I have been sold lies only prolongs my weariness. I don't have it in me to respond to it anymore. Your opinion of my faith and theological views simply don't matter to me and I have no call to defend them.

As for being afraid - of what? As long as I discipline myself to remain above, or stay away, from the aggravating fray of Too Hot, my faith provides me with all I need to remain in a blessed state of ataraxia. Why do you ask?
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,676
    Rabbit ears and tin foil. Doctors making house calls. Milkman delivering milk. Cap guns. All good memories.

I missed out on the the tube tester thing. Not sure my dad was into electronics enough to go that route. Of course, you hardly even see TV repair shops any more... people just buy a new, bigger, higher def TV that's cheaper than the last one they bought. It is a different day.
  5. DeanMeadGator

DeanMeadGator '63 Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    The tubes I took to the tube tester were from our radio. The transistor radios changed all that. No one has anything repaired anymore, and the repair shops are a thing of the past.

Rode around on my bike anywhere I wanted as long as I was home before dark. I remember looking on the bottom of coke bottles to see where the bottling plant was.

It's a different day indeed.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,694
    We used to wager the price of the drink on who got the bottle closest to where we lived. 7-11 had tube testers and kept the tubes in the bottom part. When we got our first TV we only got one channel and that was channel 4 (CBS) out of Jax. Channel 12 (NBC) was around but we just barely received a signal for a long time.
  7. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +457
    That was pretty pathetic. It's not just a Fox News problem. It's agenda driven media as a whole. Disgusting. Disheartening. Pure ignorance to not be able to intelligently have a conversation with someone who doesn't fully share your beliefs. How do people ever learn anything? No I'm not a "liberal" either. I'm a registered Constitutionalist and a devout Southern Baptist who has never voted for a Democratic president. I watch Fox News about as often as I watch MSNBC anymore which is never. It's turned into something I can't support
  8. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +301
    Rezla's comment and your response is absurd. OBL changed the direction of a religion? OBL made Christians and infidels fair game for murder? What will be the new direction for Islam thanks to OBL?
  9. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,952

To me, it looked like Ben bought the farm for a minute there with all the chatter about the book's references to Jesus' - alleged - limited claims about what He claimed about Himself (or non-claims, as Ben reported), and the post was directed to Ben's apparent laudatory comments distilled from the NPR thingy.

In reading the responses to his post, of course I noticed your chiming-in, anti-Trinitarian comment which expanded his post in an inflammatory way, IMO; but my response was actually directed to Ben's (apparent) sudden adoption of the writer's view on the "mere manhood and nothing else" of Jesus, and it was something I saved from a while back, which you may remember, from a discussion about metaphorical and symbolic language several of us had, you included. Sure, I added a comment about orthodoxy and the Trinity, just for you.

(And, not to side with the demeanor and style of the Fox lady interviewer, but the anti-divinity comments about Jesus do seem to confirm a bias on the original writer's part, notwithstanding his alleged academic and supposedly "neutral" credentials).

Nevertheless, I am not trying to convert anybody to a Trinitarian perspective; my position is simply that it is the best theological explanation for the encounter, experience, and following that, the corporate worship and celebration of the resurrected Christ, who lives, reigns, and rules, as the theology happens to set forth. In fact, without the experience, the theology is nothing, as I have clearly indicated for forever, since I began posting on religious matters, years ago now. That it informs, confirms, and corroborates the experience, is simply icing on top.

Clearly, anybody without the experience of Christ can say whatever they want about the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and they often do. I have observed, those comments usually try to diminish, demean, or outright attack the central core of the Trinitarian doctrine that Jesus was . . . and is . . . the Son of God.

So whatever you believe is indeed your business, and I would advise to drink it all down to the last drop. But if in advancing your ideas and beliefs, you insist on taking ignorant (inexperienced), insulting, and biased cheap shots at orthodox Christian theology as some sort of unexamined, pre-digested, spoonfed, "doctrinal dragons," whatever, etc., etc., etc., which happens to affront the examination of my experience, faith, and theology, don't expect either silence or a warm fuzzy.
  10. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,109
    ^ so well said.
  11. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +722
    On this we both are in strong agreement.

What we cannot agree on is the divinity of Jesus. From your perspective it is fact, from mine it remains alleged and mythological. These opposite perspectives, however, do not negate or diminish the necessity of the transformational experience.

The language you find "insulting" "cheap shots" is strong. I won't sugar coat what I think about some of the dogmatic requirements imposed by orthodox Christian theology. Neither did Jesus sugar coat what he said to the Pharisees. When a point is to be made it should be made in the strongest terms possible.

The average Christian does not examine his / her faith. It is accepted at face value as presented. As I have said before, with an apology to Socrates, "an unexamined faith is not worth having." Ideally a Christian should know why he / she believes what he or she professes to believe.

I don't think you an 'average Christian', Lawdog. From what you have posted in previous threads you have been through forging fires in your walk to date. As have I. Your orthodox position / perspective works for you. Wonderful, I am truly happy for you. But what is required or permitted from that perspective no longer nurtures me. My needs, and my views, have changed to allow me to become all I believe God wants me to become. In short, the burden I carry is light and the yoke that binds me is of negligible restriction. I am free of the burden of the necessity to believe.

There's much joy in that liberation and I am troubled for agnostic/atheist/skeptics who reject a life of faith out of hand because they think they cannot be a follower of the Christ unless they accept (read believe) every doctrine imposed by orthodoxy. It is for them also, that I have written what I have on this Board.

To those who have felt insulted I tender my apology. My intent was not to insult. My language was strong, yes. But a mealy mouthed approach does not convey what I think needs to be 'heard' and understood by atheists, agnostics, skeptics and others willing and sufficiently curious enough to examine their gift of faith.
  12. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +1,952
    Upon adequate and timely reconsideration and reflection, and for good cause shown, I withdraw the previously tendered plea of nolo contendere that occupied this space, and announce ready for trial.
  13. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +1,952

The selected added emphasis portions are what I will address.

1) On this we both are in strong agreement.

I do not know - and confess I cannot conceive - how it is possible to experience the saving grace of Jesus Christ, through his personal touch (yep, that means, "born again" through the power of the Holy Spirit, not by works, effort, or merit), and think that the journey afterwards results in some "plateau" built on that experience, which then compels that person to abandon it as inadequate. Doesn't fit.

I can conceive how one might become spiritually deluded and deceived for one reason or another, and be seduced to move away from it, however.

Consonant with that, I readily acknowledge that there are other spiritual "experiences" out there to be had, and as you might expect from one holding an orthodox, holy catholic and apostolic view of things, I have seen from my own eyes (you know, that confirming the theology thingy), that they are not of God. Bold statement. But you like bold statements. How do I know ? Each and every one of them denies the divinity of Jesus the Christ. So those who entreat other spiritual experiences need to be forewarned: you take your chances.

2) The average Christian does not examine his / her faith. It is accepted at face value as presented.

I think that is some sort of condescending, intellectual, conflated remark that could properly be said about "average cultural 'christians'", i.e., faithless church attenders who have never had an experience with faith, much less, the Lord, but not about the "average Christian" who has had a faith experience with the risen Christ.

3) I don't think you an 'average Christian', Lawdog.

That is total nonsense and poppycock. There is nothing about me or my "experience" with the risen Christ that is any different or non-average from any other person who has ever lived or is living now, who has "been saved," "born again," or otherwise said, experienced the grace of God through the touch of Jesus Christ, his Son.

4) I am free of the burden of the necessity to believe.

I have no idea what you intend by that. You seemingly suggest you have arrived or are arriving in a faith-less, belief-less, nirvana-like, Doris Day singing que sera sera in the background, beyond-blissfull state in this mortal coil, where the spiritual life "just happens" and the great karmatic wheel keeps on rolling on and on. Well, I extend my most sincere bon voyage and best well-wishing to you.

On the other hand, if your comment is that you are so secure in your faith that you now know all universal and timeless truths there may be out there to know, I know this: if you do hold such a faith, that faith will start and end with the knowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord of all.

Somehow, I perceive that is not what you mean.
  14. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    I caught that one two and said what?

And here I thought that Paul was writing to all of the flock.
  15. gemi70

gemi70 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    PLEASE!!! Everyone of the Cable 'NEWS' stations do 'interviews' like the one mentioned here. MSNBC-will rip apart a conservative author in a New York minute, CNN-well, they say they are 'independent, middle of the road, but CNN is not and will do the same Hatchet job depending on the interviewer. If you get Wolf Blitzer (sp?), you NEVER know what you are going to get-i.e. He asked an ATHEIST survivor of a tornado if she was 'thanking GOD'????

I would not be surprised if the Fox Interview was done in agreement with the author-Both FOX NEWS and the author FULLY BENEFITED-People are talking about FN-Yes, a lot of it is negative, but, regardless, you are talking about them. Same thing with the Author, a Muslim who wrote a book about Jesus. He would have got some press regardless, but NOW-he has so much more then he would have ever had-THINK ABOUT THIS!

but-this all goes back to when the 'NEWS' went from 30 minutes at night to 60 minutes, then to 2 hours,THEN the Networks started with MORNING SHOWS-THE TODAY SHOW, GOOD MORNING AMERICAN, then to CNN having a '24 hour NEWS STATION' and Fox News followed, the MSNBC and all the others followed.

When it was 30 minutes, even 60 minutes, you heard just NEWS!
    At 2 hours, you started getting interviews from people not related to the 'news story' but neighbors who 'KNEW HE WAS TROUBLE' and 'I saw him bring in McDonalds EVERYNIGHT-and it was more then HE COULD EAT!'(Cleveland hostage story=15 minutes of fame for neighbors ). Then, we got NON STORIES, interviews with 'nobodies' to say-or what was called HUMAN INTEREST stories. The News is no longer NEWS=Years ago, the news might have been slated, but, most of the news was delivered straight. NOW-YOU HAVE TO QUESTION almost EVERY STORY that involves ANYTHING POLITICAL. From ANY/EVERY STATION. I can watch a story on ABC, then NBC, then Fox, then go to the cable stations-Fox News, MSNBC, CNN-and I will think I have watched 4 or 5 different news stories Sad, the way it has envolved-the way BOSSES have made their journalists report, and EDIT the news. (i.e. Zimmerman's 911 call-the Today show EDITED OUT the 911 operater -who asked Zimmerman if the 'suspect' was white, hispanic, or black' and Zimmerman said Something alot the line of 'I believe he is black' but edited that to 'HE'S BLACK'... that was in 2012-right after the shooting, and helped get this racial hate incited. But, very few know about it. Same with Jurist # 29? The hispanic woman. Her interview was edited severely by GOOD MORNING AMERICA-AND all the networks took what GM put on air. i.e. Zimmerman got away with murder... etc. She has a lot of pauses.. a lot of words in between but WE do not know about it.

IT IS ALL ABOUT THE RATINGS AND RATINGS IS ALL ABOUT THE $$$$$$$$
  16. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,357

Just to clarify (don't really disagree with the premise), but The Today Show has been running since 1952. GMA since early 70s.
  17. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,694
    I wouldn't spend time taking up for any network out there. Some of there stuff is OK and a lot of it is fluff. Absolute truth is irrelevant when it comes to the bottom line.
  18. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    Off topic, but do you remember Ranger Hal and Skipper Ed.
    We can move over to the Pub, have beer form the beet thread, view a few butts from the butts thread, catch some naturals from the natural thread and then continue down memory lane on the Remember When thread.
  19. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,694
    Remember both of them quite well. I delivered the Jacksonville Journal to Skipper Ed when I lived in Jax for awhile. The rest sounds good. I used to post other there frequently but quit doing so a few years back.