Most embarrassing Fox interview ever?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,214
    I would also question the author why the Apostles accepted execution rather than recant they
    saw the Risen Christ. Crucifixion, eh! Coming back from the dead? Now we're cooking with gas!
  2. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,214
    Obob, just saying the Fox interviewer should have done a better job. The name of the segement is "Spirited Debate". That wasn't a debate.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Yeah they never even got into the contents of the book.
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    I feel like that was never going to happen on a 10 minute interview on a cable news program, even if she weren't so singularly focused on the author.
  5. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373

Well, yeah, that is of course either myopia or a bias speaking, and a lot of folks just want to keep the conversation on Jesus' alleged "sacrificing his life" for seditious rabble rousing, acts of kindness to the poor, social gospel, masterful teachings, etc., etc., etc., instead of acknowledging the central Christian message that . . . Jesus was God. Not Eric Clapton, Jesus. Cause if He wasn't God and raised from the dead, the rest was in vain.

But then to rebut the idea that it was the Romans doing the seeking out and crucifying, you would have to notice that it was actually the . . . Jews . . . who orchestrated the conspiracy to crucify Him - for blasphemy, exactly as you said - and handed Jesus over to a confused and befuddled Roman hierarchy, to do the Jews' bidding . . . and killing . . . and no p.c. person wants to do that.

Of course, Jesus was a Jew. If anyone noticed.

Still, the scholar was a nice guy. I wish him well and hope he comes back home.
  6. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,585
    The simple fact he was crucified is a pretty strong indicator that the Romans had a major hand in his death.
  7. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    It is an interesting story. Of course, if the Jews stoned somebody, they could get into trouble with the Romans.

Since only the Romans had the power to crucify, you are most certainly correct, i.e., they certainly were the final cause of Jesus' death.
  8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,585
    Yep, those Romans certainly liked to make a public statement with their executions.

Re. the interview (and I haven't read the book), but from his synopsis it doesn't sound like he's covering a lot of new ground here. I've heard many of these theories on the History Channel.
  9. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,491
    Based on the NPR interview (I also haven't read the book) that's one of the supporting parts of his claims. Essentially that the Roman records (and Romans were meticulous record keepers) make clear that crucifixion wasn't the everyday Roman death penalty - it was instead the way the Romans punished crimes against Rome (sedition, zealotry, etc.) to send a statement to others similarly inclined.

Here's how NPR excerpts that part of the discussion:

http://www.npr.org/2013/07/15/198040928/christ-in-context-zealot-explores-the-life-of-jesus
  10. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +529
    From a 2010 Reza Aslan Interview:

11. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    And?
  12. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,373

You can always count on NPR for a deeply spiritual view of things. Always.

Pretty superficial analysis of the intrigue, actually. One would assume that, if there was such a dangerous fellow and threat against the government, guess who? . . . THE ROMANS . . . would have been hot on the tail of the rabble-rousing Jesus and his marauding band of seditious zealots. One would not expect the JEWISH religious hierarchy to be the investigative arm of the ROMANS in rooting out seditious conspiracies, who themselves had actually worked a conspiracy through betrayal, to find Jesus in order to turn him over under false claims to Pilate and the boys.

I mean for a seditionist, Jesus seemed to not be on the ROMAN radar whatsoever, until brought to them by . . . the . . .

And of course, Pilate and the boys were befuddled with the presentation because, after examination, dithering, hand wringing and washing, they found that Jesus had committed no crime, much less, no crime against Rome, worthy of death.

In fact, as the story unwinds, in the end, the blood of Jesus was gleefully accepted by and onto the Sanhedrin and their religious crew, who had worked the sneaky deeds.

Minor details, of course.
  13. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +2,491
    Well I think the scholar's argument is that the Gospels were written after the Romans crushed the Jewish resistance in Israel and destroyed Jerusalem, and you have to consider them in their context. (Essentially that the intended audience for the Gospels was the Roman elite, so the Jews became the bad guys in the story and made Pilate a flawed but sympathetic character that is out of line with the historical evidence of how he ruled - sending hundreds of Jewish "rabble rousers" to the cross every month.)

It's got some controversial claims that someone a little more confrontational than NPR could have made into a good discussion, but it's fairly interesting whether you agree with it or not if you have 45 minutes to burn at some point, lol.
  14. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Well I could be wrong, but isn't his book intended to be more historical than spiritual?
  15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,047
    I know... that's my point. I like Fox News and all the people that work for that news station.
  16. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,918
    read the Link
  17. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +2,491
    Yeah, the shorter of the NPR interviews acknowledges this at the beginning: http://www.npr.org/2013/07/14/200844275/zealot-tells-the-story-of-jesus-the-man-not-the-messiah

He describes what he is writing about as follows:

18. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,373

I dunno, as I said before, I haven't read it to critique it - perhaps you have and could enlighten - but I was responding to the snippet of Ben's NPR review or whatever it was.

So yes, I happily admit, I am not commenting on the underlying referenced document, just responding to other critiques.

Unlike the Fox interviewer, however, I don't care if the writer is Muslim or not, but I am endeavoring to point out that the allegedly sanitized "Dragnet: just the facts, ma'am" scholarly historical crowd do indeed often miss the forest for the trees.

But they are on an understandable quest.
  19. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
  20. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,373

So . . . the Gospels were written for the ROMAN elite ? :laugh:

That's really a rich one. Please.