Morton Downey, Jr.: The man who set the stage for Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator996, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,577
    The Libbies can't handle the truth. And if we speak our mind it's "scary" to those that want us to go quietly into the darkness of enslavement...

..... please!
  2. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +426
    The famous Innes vs. Sharpton showdown at the Apollo. During the pre-fight introductions, the contestants draw a lot of boos even though Downey describes both as his good friends. Downey announces that he's out to determine "who speaks for black America" and the verbal sparring gets under way. At about 6:40 Sharpton calls an Innes statement "a load of crap". Innes loses it and knocks Sharpton over. Seconds get involved in the shoving, the crowd gets restive, and Downey has to plead for order and cut to a break.

Sharpton was a lot more entertaining in his big hair days.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/uPWQ4oVP-3Q?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/uPWQ4oVP-3Q?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  3. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    From Soul Train to MSNBC....

I prefer Al now over Al then...
  4. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +426
    Ah, Sharpton was a lot more fun before he stopped pretending to be anything other than a caricature.

I'd actually forgotten that Al and Downey were such buds. Makes sense, though, as they were both expert at acting outrageously for publicity purposes.

Here's another Downey clip where, during an on-set altercation, Sharpton shouts at somebody "You ain't nothin'! You a "punk fagg#t!" and then challenges the other guy to "Come on and do something!". The merriment starts at 1:35.

[​IMG]
  5. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    I think that you and wgb are both making a very shallow comparison. I never watched Downey so I can't speak directly to the content of the show and I won't comment on Beck because I've never listened/watched him, either. As for the other three... They've all been in prime time, nationally, for more than 10 years, Rush has been nationally syndicated for 25 years. Downey was on late night, that's not prime time, for 2 years. If they were truly following in his footsteps they would have to be even more "in your face" than he was not less(the envelope can only be pushed in one direction) and I don't believe they could've sustained that kind of success by following in his footsteps.
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,699
    As I said before, the medium (TV vs. Radio) makes a difference too. Beck and Rush's act has worked much better on radio than on TV.
  7. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +219
    I bought a big Sat. dish when they first came out back in the early 80's. You could watch anything on TV for free if you could find it. I remember watching Mort and thought it was great. He was the first with a show like that that I had ever seen. Of course at the time we did not see much other than network tv until I got my dish. I loved the guy not for his views but for the theater.
  8. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Ok, then, let's compare apples to apples. Downey NEVER went national on the radio. Rush has been national for 25 years. I don't think you get that kind of disparity from mere cosmetic differences. If Rush were merely "Morton Downey Jr. light" he wouldn't have made it out of Sacramento let alone been King of Talk radio for 20+ years. Same thing with Hannity and O'Reilly on TV. I think the difference runs much deeper than them being nicer versions of MDJ. There's a difference between being controversial, even argumentative, and shocking people's sensibilities. While I never actually watched/listened to MDJ it sounds to me like his show was based on the latter. None of the others base their shows on shocking people's sensibilities. They might shock the sensibilities of liberals but they don't shock their core audience.
  9. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,891
    Might it be the case that the differences in their success comes not from a difference in style, but from the birth of this so called "core audience" between his time and now?
  10. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,699
    That could be true. Or maybe it was just timing. Could be that Downey was just ahead of his time. Rush didnt get big until the early 90s, when Clinton was in office. Once you get a draft dodgin', hippy pot smoker in office, the audience was "ready" for Rush et al.
  11. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +771
    I found this one from 88. It is pretty bad. Even Paul goes a bit crazy. And as a bonus Charlie Rangel makes a little virtual appearance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCxDrfs4GtM
  12. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +771
    Or even just randomness. How many hundreds of virtually identical boy bands showed up in the 90s and 2000s, and yet all their notoriety went to only a couple of them.
  13. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +379
    I wouldn't compare Downey to any of the above, much closer to Jerry Springer.
  14. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +683
    Dear God, do I feel old.

MD was hot when I was at UF. They even brought him to campus for a speech.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  15. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +771
    From the Paul video, I'd say he clearly some Springer too, but I can't deny some similarity to OReilly and Limbaugh as well.
  16. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    The difference between Rush and MDJ is more than merely stylistic. It's a much more fundamental difference in their approach to radio and in how they view their audience. While there may be a small bit of overlap Rush's core audience is not MDJ's core audience. In general, the people who listen to Rush are different from the people who listened to MDJ and they listen to Rush for different reasons.

Downey isn't really even in the same genre as any of the guys mentioned in the article.
  17. DeanMeadGator

DeanMeadGator '63 Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    No one should ever articulate a point of view different than that espoused by liberals.
  18. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    I think Jerry Springer is more in line with MDJ than Rush, etc, as I said from the beginning, there really isn't much of a comparison to be had.
  19. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,699
    MDJ has many children, including Springer. Especially early Springer, when he would have the Klan and other outside the mainstream political guests on. Springer refined the formula by adding a "final thought" in which he provided moral cover for the shenanigans that had previously ensued.
  20. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,285
    I remember MDJ, in fact my roommates and I at UF viewed it for entertainment value. For the sake of me, I can't see how a chain smoking alcoholic that participated in Jerry Springer like TV, paved the way for any political cable TV or radio shows. You would have a better argument by saying Limbaugh paved the way for them.