More than meets the eye?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gatorright, Jul 28, 2014.

1. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +814
    We really don't need a big DB haul this year because of the talent that we got last year. We had the best DB class in the country last year by far and when you have guys like VHIII, Tabor, Dawson, and Jackson who are all very young and talented, it's tough to sit in front of a kid and tell him the only way he will see the field is beating out All-American type talent
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,294
    successful on the field this season will = great recruiting class.

You can't blame any recruit who wants to wait and see how things go for us this year. Makes a ton of sense to me.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +814
    No you can't blame them for that, but if they are indeed waiting to see what we do on the field, then why is everyone committing to other schools? Why not just wait and see in a few months and then commit? I guess they could be worried about someone else filling their roster spot, but if they're good enough, then schools will hold a spot open for them.
  4. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,294
    The recruiting game is just so much different now than it was just 10 years ago. There are so many commitments made early now and why not commit and decommit as much as you want. As gator_n_sc posted earlier in this thread, commitments now are what we used to call leans or leaders. In short, I think many of the kids who commit aren't really committing, they get wrapped up in the moment and make a "commitment."
    Also, is a 3 star good enough to have a spot held for him at UF? Probably not. A 3 star probably does feel compelled to save a spot for themselves at a place like UF. Then they start getting attention from other places, realize they have some options, people in their ear saying "Muschamp may be gone after this year" and then they decommit.

I really think the language needs to change in recruiting. I think it should only be a commitment if the player shuts down the recruiting and doesn't take other visits. I think it is up to the reporters to make that happen.

In other words, the reporter asks "Did you make a commitment?"
    Player says "Yes, I did."
    Reporter says "Then you are taking no other visits and you are shutting down your recruitment?"
    Player says "No, I'm still going to take visits to other schools and talk to coaches to see what's out there, but I'm committed."
    Then the reporter for the service should then say "Oh, we call that a leader. So in our rankings we are going to list you as UF is the leader for you."
    Player says "That ain't right, man."
    Reporter says "Suck it, commitment means you are not going elsewhere and you have shut down recruiting."
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +814
    Lol I wish it worked that way. Honestly, we give these kids too much power when it comes to decisions and stuff. I mean don't get me wrong, I love the anticipation leading up to the announcements at the UA All-American game, but holding a 30 minute tv show for one kid to announce his decision that may not even be his final one is a little over the top IMO.

Maybe I'm just bitter, but it seems a little ridiculous to me.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +843
    I agree. With all of the dopey stuff the NCAA chooses to legislate, you would imagine they could come up with a better system that was less of a circus, but also created better value for the universities, and for these kids to make more informed decisions.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,401
    It's all about the 15 minutes of fame. For a lot of these kids this is the pinnacle of their careers. Some spend their entire career as the "big dog" in their school or town only to be swallowed up in obscurity when they move on the play with the big boys and can't hang.
  8. yankgator

yankgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I would suspect Dabo Sweeney saying to Ray Ray: "You can't expect the offense at UF ohange. Muschamp is still the head coach and directs the offense. First, Charlie Weis, then the coordinator from Boise State, no change to the offense. Now another new coordinator, but Muschamp will still be running an offense that he feels comfortable running. You've seen our offense. We will continue that type of play."
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,401
    Dabo forgot to add " and we'll continue to get spanked by the gamecocks since there's no reason to stop after dropping 5 in a row and we will still give up 70 pts in a single game.
  10. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,078
    We sure have a lot of catching up to do considering Clemson and Alabama already have 20 commitments each. I understand it's early but I just hope we don't miss out on a lot of our top targets or our final result could be disasterous.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +492
    Win and look good winning Recruiting will take care of its self
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,401
    With a lot of the top recruits left uncommitted as well as the many who don't what commitment really means everybody is still in play whether they're already committed or not.

Bama and clemson don't have 20 commits, they have 20 leans. :)
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,058
    They just show Sammie Watkins' highlight reel and ask if he wants to do that.
  14. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +814
    Is it just me or are more kids committing earlier this year? I mean we haven't even played a single game this year yet and and teams have 18-20 commits. That's about what a lot of teams had at the end of last year. How much more room will these teams have moving forward?

I feel like there are going to be a lot of mid-season flips this year because of all of this early action.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +843
    It does seem that way. I'm convinced that Tennessee has a 125 team roster with the way they are adding kids these days. They are at 22 already, and they signed 32 last year. If you take out the 1 kid who ended up at JUCO, that's 53 kids already between 2 classes if they were done recruiting today, which clearly they are not.
  16. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,078
    I'm sure a lot of those leans though will stick around.
  17. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,401
    I know it Seems bama gets anybody they want but that's not the case every time hell they have decommits too like that top QB who flipped to USCw the minute kiffin was hired at bama.

At some point bama will be somewhat a victim of their own success and their biggest obstacle will be thier own depth chart.

George brown had bama In his top 3 and he chose us, hopefully Adonis Thomas does the same Friday. :)
  18. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,401

They're committing off hype.
  19. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    Hey, at least we get the thrill of about 75 players committing to us annually now. Of course, 50 them eventually decommit, but it's more exciting year round. Kinda like fishing........we throw a bunch back but at least it's consistently entertaining.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,058
    That's actually the goal, means they are doing it very well. If/when Bama loses a recruit it's not because of their on-field performance or questions about the program's direction.
    • Agree Agree x 1