More than meets the eye?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gatorright, Jul 28, 2014.

1. gatorright

gatorright VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +231
    With our current, and relatively unprecedented trend of decommits, might there actually be a coordinated effort to minimize our recruiting success? Nothing has obviously changed within the program...our off-season has been quiet from a discipline standpoint, the depth charts have not suffered any great alterations, yet young men who were recently recruiting other players to play with them at Florida, are now seeking other opportunities. Is there something we don't know? I understand there may have been some aspect of mutual agreement to part ways, but with this many making the choice and then deciding it was premature, it seems there is another dynamic taking place.

In my line of work, when something falls off the tracks after a decision has been heavily weighed and finally made, money is invariably the prime mover...on the few occasions it wasn't there were critical health issues or tragic circumstances which arose necessitating those changes. Outside of that, a commitment carries a momentum of its own and the difficulty in breaking it increases the longer it continues. Follow the money, and the truth has a funny way of becoming clear. This is not to say that these young men were guided to follow someone paying them to play elsewhere, but if it became apparent that this was the case, it would not surprise me at all.

With that said, is it clear to anyone why our commitment list is dwindling as opposed to growing? I could better understand a "wait and see" attitude with our new offense and the obvious delay in accepting a spot on our recruitment list, but to commit and then help recruit and then de-commit bespeaks another, possibly planned exercise.
  2. Briang8r

Briang8r Recruit

Ratings Received:
    +1,388
    I thought this was going to be a thread about Transformers. If it were, the decommits would certainly be the Decepticons.
    • Funny Funny x 6
  3. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,722
    I'm just concerned with the upcoming season. We play well and recruiting will be fine. Can't be too concerned about high school juniors trying to decide which college they'll pick.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Recruit

Ratings Received:
    +1,032
    I think that possibly all of the 3* that have decommitted may possibly know that there are more highly regarded recruits that are going to be Gators. The most recent decommitment, according to the Gville Sun, stated that he was concerned by the depth chart.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. iam4uf

iam4uf Recruit

Ratings Received:
    +426
    When these 3* committed, people were upset because they thought we should get "better" recruits. They've decommitted & people are upset. Who knows, maybe they were commits that were contingent on other recruits not coming to UF & we have "better" recruits on the way. As Colin stated, if the season plays out then UF will have recruits lined up to come here.
  6. gator34654

gator34654 Recruit

Ratings Received:
    +1,444
    Agree this season is that important. Having said that after Friday Night Lights one would expect a positive vibe not a trickle of decommits. It's one thing if we got 4 or 5 star commitments from the same position but that hasn't happened. Have to say the trickle of decommits seems strange.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Freshman

Ratings Received:
    +10,356
    Maybe there's more in the pipeline or maybe the DBs didn't like our depth chart. Likely our opponents are negative recruiting. We can beat that by winning and being straight with recruits and their families.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. maxgator

maxgator Recruit

Ratings Received:
    +624
    If I was a recruit, even if I was really wanted to commit to the Gators, I would want to wait and see what really happens this year.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. dadx4

dadx4 Freshman

Ratings Received:
    +3,200
    Just let me know who we have in February. This is just to much drama for me.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  10. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Freshman

Ratings Received:
    +1,151
    The man himself speaks,

@CoachWMuschamp: My track record of developing defensive players speaks for itself- u will be special here!
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator Recruit

Ratings Received:
    +2,200
    It should be that we have better players on the way and staff informed the once-commits that they may want to reopen themselves to being recruited. I hope that's it.

Shame we loss Ray McCloud but Clemson does have something to sell which we don't(yet), their offense.

It does. But it's hard to say what it means. I would love to have more commits at this point, we really do have some time before we need to worry much. One thing seems clear, recruits aren't lining up to come here atm.
  12. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Recruit

Ratings Received:
    +481
    Reminds me of when six or seven players decided to transfer almost immediately after last season and within a couple of days of one another. Pessimistic fans thought the program was imploding. In actuality, guys that were destined to be career backups were "counseled" by Muschamp and encouraged to find a place where they could more easily contribute.
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. iam4uf

iam4uf Recruit

Ratings Received:
    +426
    A thought just came to mind - these were recruits that committed under the previous recruiting coordinator. Perhaps they were promised things that couldn't be met, or they weren't who Muschamp/Roper really wanted.
  14. g8tr80

g8tr80 Recruit

Ratings Received:
    +1,091
    Perhaps we are in deep trouble. We are in the weeds boys and girls.
  15. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Recruit

Ratings Received:
    +241
    Still 6 full months and a football season to go until NSD; if recruiting is still lackluster after homecoming I'll think about worrying.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Blackblack

Blackblack Recruit

Ratings Received:
    +168
    It's early. UF is in it for a lot of top prospects. As long as the team rebounds from last season this recruiting class will be fine...more than fine, actually it should be one of the best in the country. I wouldn't worry about where things look in July.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Freshman

Ratings Received:
    +4,364
    Interest will start to pick up in just over thirty days guys when we take that field and they see roper getting the ball in our playmakers hands in space. When recruits see us on the sec network on prime time they will change their outlook.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Freshman

Ratings Received:
    +4,364
    All we have to do is win week 4 and our entire programs fortunes in recruiting will magically change.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. zanesville

zanesville Recruit

Ratings Received:
    +142
    I agree with those who are suggesting a wait and see attitude on the offensive side. It would not surprise me if several of those who have committed elsewhere or who do not seem interested in us will flip or commit to UF when then see the offense on the field this season. As we know, nothing is official until February. On the defensive side, the decommits have been db's and it seems like negative recruiting comes into play here. If I recall correctly, several of the three stars received their first major offer from us, and then, other majors followed. Now, they believe they are going to be more highly sought than previously were.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Freshman

Ratings Received:
    +4,364
    Let's just stop kidding ourselves here. These days
    committed = leader. I'm not nowhere near concerned about rayray because his clemson commitment and a good showing on the field for us may just afford us the opportunity to flip him and deon cain ala lane/cook.
    • Agree Agree x 3