Moc's thread deleted?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tim85, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +995
    Why was the thread deleted? Do Mods delete any and every thread that someone requests to be deleted?

What exactly about that thread broke any of the rules of this forum? I saw no name-calling.

This is the second or third time I've been on a thread and it's just abruptly left -- after we've all wasted our time commenting and posting. Really annoying and uncalled for.
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,326
    Seemed like the thread was going in a better direction, but there is really no defending the OP piece as anything other than "race baiting" under forum rules.
  3. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    The thread held no logical symmetry in its conclusions....

It was racist crap.
  4. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +995
    I mean he was quoting an article, I was genuinely enjoying the discussion. "Race-baiting" is a pretty debatable term, isn't it?
  5. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +995
    What does that even mean? Logical symmetry in its conclusions? What conclusions? They deleted it before anyone could have one.
  6. DowntownGator

DowntownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    Because prejudice under the color of censorship is just another name for racism.

Some people feel worthless unless they identify themselves with racism and being a "democrat."

Just being honest!

Love,

rivergator
  7. reformedgator

reformedgator VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +151
    With the Martin/Zimmerman trial it certainly has been front & center in the media.
  8. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

The OP certainly did have conclusions....

He was justifying his racially biased indifference towards the plight of one group in this country based on erroneous & illogical issues he attributed to only one group.

Alcoholism, drug use, dropout rates are endemic across all races....

Why would he not care about the plight of fellow Americans who are black based on that criteria but not hold the same indifference about whites?

The only difference in his societal response to those "issues" was absed on the race of the community involved in the issue.

That's racism my friend :jeez:
  9. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,326
    The article was, regardless of the intent of the poster. Baiting chain e-mails and dubious articles intended to inflame get deleted, no matter where the discussion goes. Those seem to be the rules of the forum. We've had similar discussion on other threads that werent deleted.
  10. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,538
    I posted in Moc's thread, and was just now getting back to carry on a thoughtful discussion, or to see if one could be had.

It seems like anybody with the nads to try to really - as in the real world - tackle what is happening in black communities, will automatically be branded as a racist or bigot.

That myopia and fear, actually, is the major stumbling block in assessing the real - as opposed to the imaginary racist - problem.
  11. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,538
    So here's a teaser:

I declare once and for all, that the racist paradigm as advanced by MLK, is dead, defunct, and irrelevant in all respects, as THE CAUSE of the constellation of problems in the black communities.

Put those boots on, Partner.
  12. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,484
    I was starting to talk about the larger point - that many of these issues are socio-economic issues and not race issues. People tend to conflate the two because more African Americans are born into poverty than any other racial group.

Making it about race or "racial communities" misses the mark by a wide margin. And it really is a shame.
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,484
    I disagree, primarily because of the cascading effect of poverty over generations and how poverty tends to translate to a lack of education, crime and violence.

It's getting better with every generation, but to declare it fixed would be pretty unfair.
  14. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,484
    Anyway, it was a shame that was closed because the discussion had turned the corner from an otherwise crappy premise. Oh well.
  15. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +995
    I think most people would agree with you, I really do. Here's a part I had ready for the other thread:

Poverty is no doubt a part of the problem, but living in poverty doesn't exclude responsibility for the actions someone takes and living in poverty doesn't exclude men(or women) from being good men(or women). If you live in poverty and murder someone, that doesn't make it any less of a crime than if you don't, however, I wouldn't be surprised to see some argue that.

I don't think anyone here is talking about it in "purely racial" terms, we're talking about it in racial and cultural terms. (This was directed towards wgb's post, which claimed people were talking about it in "purely racial terms.")

Do you think that it's possible certain beliefs or cultures can enable and/or facilitate poverty? And is it possible that a group who has been so tightly connected to the color of their skin, if the vast majority of them adopted a culture like this, wouldn't it make sense to at least mention that? It seems like a large portion of the black community has built their identities on race.

I understand that people who live within certain proximities are more likely to commit crime upon each other, that doesn't mean specific groups still don't have cultures that breed crime and unhealthy lifestyles more than others.
  16. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

You can make the statement....doesn't make it true.

What do you believe the "paradigm" was to declare it "dead".

How do you know its dead?

And if you are referring to the "constellation" of problems moc cited...

Aren't those problems afflicting the white community also?

Alcohol, drugs, dropout rates aren't problems in the white community?
  17. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +675
    I guess the best way to put this is at times a thread does not represent GC in a good light. In that event, the thread will be removed. Right now we're discussing the issue as to guidelines on racial topics.
  18. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,856
    I moved it because of what Nana said, then one was put up this morning that I also moved that was nothing but a trolling post for racial division.

It is not that they can be good threads, they just always end up with insults and baiting then another thread will be created, such as the one this morning, that will be worse than the ones posted.

It is sort of like the old band threads on Swamp Gas. Back in the day discussion would be so hostile and bitter about the band we would not allow even a thread. It might get to that here with the race issue.

Each race thread will be guided on its own merits, if it has any. Such as it is timely or an issue that is being discussed, such as Zimmerman-Martin, the Washington March or things like that. But GC will not be a place that we cover racial murders from all over the country.
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.