Miller joins Lebron

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ThePlayer, Jul 16, 2014.

1. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,279
    Where's the Cleveland Clinic I've heard so much about?

I enjoyed both of Holly's berries.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
  4. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
  5. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
    One thing that will surprise most people visiting Cleveland for the first time is how clean a lot of the city is. It's not like Detroit or Chicago. It's very neat and orderly in most places. Most places are very secure. Of course there is some very rough spots but there's a lot of nice places that you can feel safe and secure.

The museums and theaters are awesome. Only outdone by the Smithsonian and Broadway. The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame kinda sucks and disappointing unless you take in a concert, not much to see there.
  6. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,157
    Do you work for the Cleveland Tourism Department?
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    I intended no slight against Cleveland and my wife and I have been there with some friends that are from there and were intent on showing us the good parts of Cleveland. It's just that Denver is one of, if not, my favorite city. You have to understand that I'm a mountain and outdoor enthusiast that treasures sun. Of course now I'm stuck in Portland. :D
  8. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Oh, I love Denver, actually the mountains. For the last 12 years, I take my family skiing there every year. I've really never spent much time in the City though. Parts of it, driving through, reminds me of Cleveland in the older areas. I hear it's great in the summer. 1 week in Breck and 1 week in Keystone has been our routine.

9. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
    I've lived all over the US and have visited many places around the world and Cleveland is right up there as one of my favorites... WHEN IT'S NOT SNOWING. I absolutely hate the winters in Cleveland, Chicago, and Detroit. It's just miserably cold. I love the place anytime between March and October. I don't go near it any other time. My family even knows not to die in the winter if they expect me to be at the funeral.

10. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    Steamboat Springs and Vail (and Beavercreek if going to Vail) are much better IMO. They get more snow and are less crowded. Breckenridge has the best night life though. I was a ski bum there for two years but spent my free days at other mountains. Another great ski area with a cool town is Telluride. Not as much snow as the others I mentioned and harder to get to but I highly recommend the area. The valley is stunning and the town is like stepping back in time.
  11. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,324
    the state of ohio blows.
    • Funny Funny x 4
  12. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +769
    Funny, that was my reaction also, but nice pictures to show off the City. Guess I will just have to rely on the pics, because I have no plans to revisit anywhere in Ohio. I've seen more than enough of the state.

And I would take most anywhere in Colorado, winter or summer. In fact, wish I was there right now. We used to alternate ski trips between Colorado and Utah every season.

As for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame being in Cleveland, is there some story how it got there? I ask because when I think of Rock and Roll, Cleveland never comes to mind.
  13. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Alan Freed coined the term "Rock n Roll"...
    Leo Mintz, a local record store owner, saw an increasing number of white teenagers buying rhythm and blues records at his store. Based on these observations Mintz suggested to Freed that he should begin playing these records. On July 11, 1951, calling himself "Moondog," Freed went on the air and became among the first to program rhythm and blues for a white teenage audience. Other small stations followed eventually forcing the larger stations to join in.
    [​IMG]

Due to the prejudices of the times Freed began calling the rhythm and blues records he played Rock "n" Roll. What is ironic that term Freed was using to make rhythm and blues more acceptable to a white audience, was slang for sex in the black community.

[​IMG]
    In 1951 a black vocal group The Dominoes recorded "Sixty Minute Man" which was a (#1 R&B and #17 pop) hit. The lyrics were highly suggestive and used rock and roll in the lyrics. Freed began using the term a month later and most likely was inspired by this song.

Freed would name his show Moondog's Rock 'n' Roll Party. The shows success led to Freed's March 1952 Moondog Coronation Ball in Cleveland. Top black acts were booked for the show. Six thousand fans crashed gates in addition to the thousands already in 10,000 seat hall. Two thirds of the audience was white

In1954 Freed moved his show to WINS radio in NY. Within months the show was #1. Freed began staging revues at Brooklyn Paramount where he often could be found on stage gyrating. Freed appeared in a number of rock and roll movies such as Don't Knock The Rock, Rock Around The Clock, and Rock, Rock, Rock. It was no surprise that these movies broadened the acceptance of rock and roll. The real surprise was Alan Freed in the flesh. In his mid-thirties Freed looked at least ten years older. Klutzy with little stage presence Freed looked completely out of place. To many teens Freed looked like the ultimate adult.

In 1957 ABC-TV gave Freed his own nationally-televised rock & roll show, but an episode on which Frankie Lymon danced with a white girl enraged ABC's Southern affiliates and the show was cancelled.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,812
    mac4lyfe - if Cleveland Chamber of Commerce isn't paying you, they need to be. ;)

Nice job in this thread - lots of cool info. And Halle pics always work. Any other Cleveland bombshells are welcome.

Here's a home girl from Lebron's neck of the woods...

• Like Like x 1
  15. sflagator

sflagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +312
    1. Mike gets paid out roughly $6 mil this year - because they amnesty waived him, the Heat make up the difference between his Cleveland salary and what the Heat would have paid him this year. Next year he has a player option for $2.8 mil, but he could always opt out. Because the salary cap is likely to jump a lot of players are doing the same sort of deal - they can opt out and get signed for more money because the teams will have more to spend. Mike could make more in the long run by signing a short term deal.

2. Mike has plenty of money - the media reports on that mess in Miami were very inaccurate because they tied it in with a previous $8 mil scam the same scam artist ran in Ohio. The Miami scam was a separate scam for much less money. Mike was not involved with the Ohio deal at all.

3. Cleveland is actually a really nice city - I've been there a lot over the past couple of years and have nothing but good things to say about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,279
    Is Ray Allen on the way too?
  17. keypox

keypox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    Your the flats photo is just another view of E 4th.
  18. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +708
    mac4lyfe, I just want to know how much I love, respect and admire Cleveland. I've never been there and have absolutely no desire to go there but feel it's very important that I let you know how much I adore that city.
  19. mfpardnor2

mfpardnor2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,386
    Who coined the term Mistake by the Lake?
  20. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,279
    Everyone in Michigan.
    • Funny Funny x 1