Millennials in the Workplace--a guide for the employer

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Spurffelbow833, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,818
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,950
    Obviously this is comedic. I would be interested to hear from business managers and admins, etc. on the issue. Do these notions of entitlement, insecurity, and unaccountability hold a degree of validity? I find that today's college students are generally smart (if not always intelligent), but appear to be more distracted than college students from earlier eras, largely due to technology.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +948
    I've been in management at various levels since 1980 and have seen three significant changes/trends over that time.

1) '80's - more women entering the workplace. In about five years the staff in my department went from more than 80% men to a slight majority of women.

2) Mid '90's forward - Slow and steady increase in dishonesty and/or lack of integrity and trustworthiness.

3) Past 5 years - diminishing work ethic, increasing unwillingness to accept responsibility and accountability, and expectation that they are owed a high income with limited experience.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,950
    Thanks for your input. Tried to rep you, but you're repped out from me right now. :grin:
  5. Santoka

Santoka Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Wygator hit the nail on the head. I am in the same age bracket and have seen the same.

Had a team with some very junior folks and some senior workers and even the more established workers would complain about the lack of accountability, work commitment, and general work ethic from the recent college hires. (Academically very bright but just focus, drive and willingness to work really seemed lacking).

Told my son, who is a Jr in comp sci, get out get a job and look to what your boss' generation feels is important, do that and you can excel.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,409
    I currently work with a team that ranges from early 20's to mid 60's, over my several careers I have observed the points wygators noted with the exception of the dishonesty etc, the decline in dedication to task/job career is very noticeable. I think it is a reflection of the change in the general culture over the decades and associated with the increasing me first attitude coupled with the expectation that the current job is transitory where many of we older folk anticipated longer term commitments to and from employers that are no longer the norm today.
  7. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    You guys are describing my generation to the T. I have tried working with younger people my age(32) and find it to be almost impossible. I have never seen an age group more overly concerned with social media and cell phones in my life. I have had to let more people go over their cell phone while on the clock than anything else. And I hate to say it but guys and girls that are younger will lie at the drop of a hat.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Chantweaver

Chantweaver New Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    I own my own business and run into this multiple times a year with employees under the age of 30. Sometimes you find an outstanding one but not often. Have had employees tell me the customer is wrong when they have called and said the work wasn't done. Went out and the customer was correct. Went back to work and employee quit before I got a chance to fire them for have his word questioned. Wow. It is bad.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +321
    My generation (31 yrs old), and especially younger than me, have a big problem with entitlement. They feel like just because they graduated college they deserve more money than they do and that a job should be there waiting for them. Mix that with too many college grads watering down the market and you have a bad combination. But it's not entirely their fault, because the previous generation pushed college so much and acted like it was the easy path to success and wealth.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +804
    A couple things I think. A) these attitudes may be due to the "everybody gets a ribbon, there are no losers" mentallity we see in schools and extracurricular activities at a young age.
    B) If you ever worked long hours at tough, physical jobs, you will know that college is an easy path. When I was a kid I worked on shrimp boats, unloaded grouper boats, delivered furniture and threw sod. These all from about 11 yrs of age, thru college and into my mid-20's until I settled into a career path. I don't see young kids these days doing the hard work me and my friends did when we were growing up.
    I think a lot of kids in college and recent grads had it very easy, in many respects, and have had a lot of things at their disposal that no previous generation ever had. The unfortunate thing is they have also been bombarded by the ever present and powerful pop-media that life is all about wealth and celebrity. Therefore, this may be there expectation in life, too. Whether it is music videos, reality shows, celeb magazines, Facebook or advertising, these are the images the have been brainwashed with. Terrible.

Don't get me wrong. I have recent college grads working for me that are awesome individuals, hard working and enthusiastic. But I have also experienced the dishonesty and manipulation.
    • Like Like x 2