Mike Pouncey named in Harassment Report

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 96Gatorcise, Feb 14, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,784
    It was ok... he graded champion.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,234
    Don't get it twisted. His mom defended her son. I don't think Mike or Maurkice would have any problems handling their own battles.

I assume you were making an attempt at a joke. :confused:
  3. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    Fair enough, Tebowism! Sorry my post lashed out at you, I obviously misunderstood your overall point. I pretty much agree with what you said here.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,056
    No worries..it's a sensitive subject for sure
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. socalg8r

socalg8r Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Sounds like you are a smart and attentive father.

But there are men everywhere who aren't. Men who go WAY beyond just being distracted dads, men who are violent and aggressive and malicious. And these men raise sons who have no compassion or sympathy or understanding that "we are all in this together."

Say what you will about victim mentality, but there are victims in this world. You don't have to see Martin as one. But what about the girl at the golf tournament that Incognito harassed? Or the asst. trainer? He bullied and threatened those people too. The woman pressed charges. Was she wrong? Was she "offended"? Or was she within her rights to expect to be treated with respect and free from threats of violence and/or sexual aggression?

You don't have to like the Redskins name change movement, either. But the treatment of Native American in this country's history is abhorrent, to say the least. And I can understand that demographic being a upset, even by the little things, that remind them of that treatment.

I guess your final comment is supposed to be a joke. But the number of people qualified for Martin's job is infinitesimal, so his quitting has no real impact on the economy.
  6. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +899
    [/QUOTE]His mommy had to come on here and tell us off for being mean to her big baby boy who couldn't handle the ugly things people said about him.[/QUOTE]

I had forgotten about that. But it's what bullies' parents often do. I've got a girl at my daughter's school who recently wrote on the bathroom wall "I plan to kill (my daughter's name)." They are nine, so I'm not worried, but the principal is more concerned about how the girl's parents will respond than the fact their daughter threatened mine. (FTR, My daughter has no record at all of disciplinary or anti-social behavior, while the other girl has been biter, a clawer and has been plain-op' mean to most of the girls in her class.)
  7. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +899
    I don't think it's a joke at all. Her son was being picked on, and she thought it was wrong. But whaddayou know, her son -- the same one she felt obligated to defend against personal, mean-spirited attacks -- was doing the same thing to other players.
  8. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829
    Someone in here once used her quote as their sig for a long time. Haven't seen it lately. Go figure.
  9. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +481
    Beyond Martin, who might have been blameworthy to an extent himself, these guys bullied an assistant trainer or whatever position he was in. We don't know Martin's agenda, but he is in a far better position to fight back against the organization/players than a lowly assistant trainer, and maybe he was doing it on their behalf. All I know is, if Pouncey was involved in bullying an assistant trainer, then ya, I'm done with him and most reasonable people should be too.

This isn't a tough man competition, this is a guy's livelihood. Some giant guys, who happen to be great at the one vocation that accepts that mentality and behavior, use said behavior to verbally assault and bully a guy in his position, is just plain wrong.
    • Like Like x 5
  10. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,234
    My point was Mike can handle his own business when necessary. His Mom wasn't sent on his behalf by him. I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the posters here wouldn't have said those things to his face.
  11. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +899
    And that sort of reiterates mine. Because if someone had said to his face he was snapped the ball badly -- which he did -- and then MP beat them up it would make the point that when presented with criticism of his play/choices, he would decide to intimidate or bloody someone instead of taking their words as fair criticism.

My point was that when parents assume their kids are/should be isolated from criticism, a-hole behavior follows. Unless you think he did a fine job of snapping that year. Which, if you did, then yours and momma Pouncey's points are more valid. And you do have to wonder what he would do if someone just as big or bigger said it to him, or maybe with the same level of effect on his image.
  12. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Anybody who compares what happened here to what happens when guys get together is missing a very important point. When guys get together to play poker, they chose to attend. This is a workplace. Granted, like the old army, a male dominated one, but a place where people are making their livelihood. Acts like this are what moronic frat boys do and get in trouble for, not what adults do with co-workers.
    Same for people identifying message board behavior. You don't like threats, bitching, whining and random idiots, stay off message boards. Again, in contrast, one has a right to not be harassed at work.
    And for those who say he should have resorted to violence - what level. Remember, Martin was mentally ill. And should not a place of employment be a little beyond our playground instruction to our sons to pop somebody in the mouth? Can't we as adults do a little better?

The reality is this is more than a few knuckle draggers being assholes over beers at a party. Complaining about someone being called an N at work is not being "PC." How anybody justifies this abuse among employees is beyond me.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. tommyvee

tommyvee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,357
    Agreed on the right to work in a safe environment. What I have an issue with is how it was handled. Martin needed to go to his supervisor and/or HR and report this. If that doesn't work, he needed to go up the chain and then follow legal actions if necessary.

Instead the dude participates in this group behavior, then decides not to show up to work without any warning. Then he cites harassment all the while continuing to text with Incognito as if nothing is going on.

Of course, I'm no expert on the mentally ill or abuse victims, so I'm open to you guys that are.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +899
    He went to his agent, his agent went to the GM, who told the OLine coach to toughen him up.
  15. socalg8r

socalg8r Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Also, Martin's behavior isn't that unusual (though it may seem so in the context of the NFL). Someone who feels bullied or intimidated will usually just try to "take it" or "fit in" in hopes that it goes away or redirects. They know that going to the authorities opens them up to MORE bullying (unless the authorities are unusually sympathetic). And Martin was right, the authorities did nothing to really stop it and their inaction made it worse.
  16. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +643
    No doubt Incognito and Pouncey went way over the line, several times. But nowhere did I ever read that Martin told them to stop, or that Incognito and Pouncey had gone too far. We are all guilty of taking a joke too far. And when we do, either our own filter kicks in and we quickly apologize. Or we're confronted, and we apologize.

It's safe to say Incognito has no filter whatsoever (he had problems all the way back in high school and got kicked out of both Nebraska and Oregon). Pouncey has a history as well, and teamed up with Incognito, probably flamed the worst in Pouncey. But even though Martin's father told him to tell the other his sister was off limits, Martin never says anything directly to the guys.

To me, that's the step that is missing. After notifying either your manager or HR representative, the first thing you do is go directly to the source to see if you can work things out. If not, then it's time for escalation. Of course, the Dolphins could have done better as well.

In the end, this is a case of many wrongs and no rights.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    In My Very Honest Opinion. This is a joke, grown men crying about harassment. Deal with it like a man, this is what is going to happen more often due to the Pussification of America. This is how young adults are raised nowadays, to not deal with situations on their own, a product of how they were raised. "If anyone picks on you, or makes fun of you tell a teacher, or adult. If that doesn't work run and hide do not confront them! Someone will always protect you." <--------- That's the problem.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,784
    While I agree Martin should be able to take care of this on his own, and this all should have been dealt with in house, there is no way the behavior (by Incognito especially) can be considered acceptable in any work place, let alone be sanctioned by management (the GM and OL coach).
  19. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Agree, I do not condone Incognito's actions, but this should not need an investigator to write a report, and ESPN to make a big deal of it to solve the issues. What the media does with stories nowadays is absolutely ridiculous.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. gatorgrad92

gatorgrad92 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +321