Might Be Getting a Networking Internship

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by gatormoe1, Nov 8, 2012.

1. gatormoe1

gatormoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Hey guys I am close to getting an internship with a local company that deals with networks and other IT stuff and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for day 1.

I'm not sure when I will start or if I even have it (although if it falls through I'll be going to other companies to get one) but I had a couple questions:

What should I expect day 1 of an internship in the IT field?

What are some things that I should absolutely know (as it relates to Networking) before I get there? I've read books and taken classes on it but is there something I should know for sure so they don't think I'm a waste of time before hand?

Do interns typically bring a notebook for notes or would that be pointless/stupid?

Also, if anyone is in the IT field around Lee County, I'll accept any job offers. :)

I'm working at Publix now to get through school but I'm dying to get my foot in the door somewhere for my real career. Thanks!
  2. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,487
    1) Relax and don't psyche yourself out
    2) Dress appropriately (usually business casual)
    3) Do bring a pad and pen
    4) Always ask plenty of questions and there are no stupid questions
    5) Get yourself a LinkedIn profile going and staart using it to make connections with these people and also others as well. This is something I can help you with if you need it.
    I'm actually in the same field and would be interested in who this is with and you can PM me if you want to keep it confidential. I've been in the space for the last 15+ years. This is an excellent opportunity for you to get your feet wet and will help you more than you know.
  3. gatormoe1

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Hey thank you for tipping me off to the LinkedIn place.. I already setup an account there and even found the owner of the company I'm trying to get the internship with. Very good info, mind if I add you as a contact on there?
  4. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +207
    Getting the coffee/mountain dew and donuts.
  5. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,855
    Good luck!
  6. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +732
    Get ready to do a lot of grunt work. It will pay off in the end.
  7. gatormoe1

Ratings Received:
    +32
    So the owner of the company wants to bring me in to talk to me. I know I can nail the interview but I was wondering if there are any Networking people out there to give me a little advice on what I should know for sure before going in.

I know a lot of general information but what should I absolutely know before going in there so they aren't disappointed right off the bat?
  8. michaelc187

michaelc187 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    My graduate degree:
    hardware interupts run bios level machine code

various communication protocols for optimal/safe serial transmission

lucky... you'll graduate to some form of system stabilily code to slow the computer and prevent heat related losses

... download ida assembly compiler for a stability routine...
    email me for a communication book written by my one of my proffessors that has some the ieee standards (examples for lack a better), you probably won't find it anywhere else -without examining 30 or so pages of code for each...

(i think new serial is 60 pages now)

wiring is important (high speed wiring around corners), look for military heat standards and low cooling costs for hardware/communication devices

HP, anything Jet Propulsions Laboritory makes (especially around the Mars program area) is a good start

i went to work for someone who transitioned from computer shop/programmer to about a million a year as a Bellsouth Rep