Midnight Madness...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, Oct 7, 2013.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +662
    I love Midnight Madness personally. I know it has been talked about a bunch here! I think Midnight Madness was made for crazy basketball fans like us who love their team. I have a feeling before Billy leaves it will be back again.

Jeff
  3. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,079
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    If you need Midnight Madness to pump up your program or recruit you have a sorry ass program.
  5. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +662
    Why do you feel this way? I think it's a great recruiting tool and it's great for the players and fans. I'm not sure what a negative would be honestly. I think we may get a commit or two right after madness.
    Jeff
  6. 33hoop

33hoop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    I wish Florida had the fan support it deserves and could pull off a big time Midnight Madness. Attendance just isn't there for Gator basketball and it really is a shame because Donovan has built Florida into a top program that should get much more attention and support from its fans. Midnight Madness is a huge recruiting tool for UK because the recruits get to see how crazy fans are for UK basketball. I'm sure Donovan would have Midnight Madness right now if he could get 10% of the fan support that UK gets.
  7. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    QUOTE="33hoop"]I wish Florida had the fan support it deserves and could pull off a big time Midnight Madness. Attendance just isn't there for Gator basketball and it really is a shame because Donovan has built Florida into a top program that should get much more attention and support from its fans. Midnight Madness is a huge recruiting tool for UK because the recruits get to see how crazy fans are for UK basketball. I'm sure Donovan would have Midnight Madness right now if he could get 10% of the fan support that UK gets.[/QUOTE]

I think Billy is so focused on basketball coaching, he thinks that MM is silly. I am not knocking Billy, it's just that he is not a showman in a way that is a little like selling a circus. The greatest show on earth. So he needs help to make this happen. MM It's not silly, it is for giving the fans, players some fun in turn for their support of the program. This year, with all that has happened, CW not coming in, injuries, suspensions, etc. it has been chaotic. Reason enough to not have it.
    But we should have it on a football wkend, with the Gator football game in Gainseville, make MM on Friday night, blow it out in the ODOME. Skits w players, food vendors inside and out of the ODOME, giveaways like t's, food, sm basketballs, posters, a concert for the younger set, or maybe even a dance for the students. Many ways to bring out fans and students. Send tickets to all high school teams in the state, players and coaches.

As for attendance, Gainsevllle is not an extremely large town, so we have to get kids from all schools invited, not just the teams, from at least one hour away. Adults give them entrance free into a great concert after the festivities of MM. First of all we need to plan, market and get feedback from alumni, local fans, high schools, websites that care about the gators to make it fun for all to get the ODOME full and fun for all.

As Sly Stone used to sing, You can make it if you try!
  8. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,282
    This is not very smart
  9. bposs

bposs Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +285
    Midnight madness screws up my sleep cycle.
  10. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,282
    Haha, they are fun though!
  11. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    "I think Billy is so focused on basketball coaching, he thinks that MM is silly."

This is not the case. The decision to have or not have MM has not been based on Coach thinking it is silly. It has been determined by anticipated interest and attendance. The program has experimented with "fan day" and such, but will bring back MM in the near future. The ideal setup is one that allows it to ride the momentum of a football weekend.
    By the way. . . the rest of your post was on the money!
  12. bullish

Ratings Received:
    +208
    AKA, I hear ya. It is with anticipated attendance we wait. That is not the way to get people to MM. Have someone who is majoring in marketing or business, who likes B-ball, is a student who would do it for extra credit and create a web site that would allow for ideas, put together a program, then confer with the Athletic Dept. and Billy, get the Alumni assoc involved to help raise money. Together, we the Gators could get more fans in tuned with the program. Football wkend in G-burg, lots of activities, food and gifts, what's not to like. Season ticket and single game tickets could be bought at this event. This year has been chaotic and I know we have missed the boat, but if we go to next year without an event planner that includes the fans, all I will hear on this site, is it is not worth it.

MM should be an event like Gator Growl for the basketball team. Make it fun and the fans will come. Reading about Kansas or Kentucky's MM makes me mad that no one believes in a great event enough to build Gator Basketball awareness and bring in new fans. Billy does a great job but when it comes to letting others help, I believe he feels he has to have control and no distractions. First of all, I believe this is bigger than any coach and the whole school should be involved. It should be an annual event. When we go years without it, I feel when another great player goes to Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, I wonder if we have done enough to market our program Nationally.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    ^^^ I agree 10,000%! :)
  14. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    UK needs it and it seems to be a good recruiting tool especially when 20,000 plus show up for practice.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MJGator8104

MJGator8104 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    Rep for bullish.
  16. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +619
    I think Billy is so focused on basketball coaching, he thinks that MM is silly. I am not knocking Billy, it's just that he is not a showman in a way that is a little like selling a circus. The greatest show on earth. So he needs help to make this happen. MM It's not silly, it is for giving the fans, players some fun in turn for their support of the program. This year, with all that has happened, CW not coming in, injuries, suspensions, etc. it has been chaotic. Reason enough to not have it.
    But we should have it on a football wkend, with the Gator football game in Gainseville, make MM on Friday night, blow it out in the ODOME. Skits w players, food vendors inside and out of the ODOME, giveaways like t's, food, sm basketballs, posters, a concert for the younger set, or maybe even a dance for the students. Many ways to bring out fans and students. Send tickets to all high school teams in the state, players and coaches.

As for attendance, Gainsevllle is not an extremely large town, so we have to get kids from all schools invited, not just the teams, from at least one hour away. Adults give them entrance free into a great concert after the festivities of MM. First of all we need to plan, market and get feedback from alumni, local fans, high schools, websites that care about the gators to make it fun for all to get the ODOME full and fun for all.

As Sly Stone used to sing, You can make it if you try![/QUOTE]

Excellent post, Florida basketball should be in the same community as the top tier "basketball schools" with regard to fan support. Basically our fan support is horsecrap. Period!
  17. bullish

Ratings Received:
    +208
    Wingtee
    When the admin doesn't give back to the fans and try to market this great program, then we will always be a pretty good program, not elite. Arizona is raising its program to elite, we can to if we make these efforts to gain fans that will support the program.
  18. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +527
    Another thread bitching about fan support, and comparing our fans to KY fans. AWESOME!

:no: It is what it is. People do with their lives what they need to do with their lives.

Go Gators!
  19. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +46
    I love the 'It is what it is' attitude. Apathy 'is what it is.' Indifference 'is what it is.' We filled the place quite a bit in the early to mid 00s. No reason we can't now, besides people just not caring about Bball.
  20. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +46
    I do think the way to make people start caring about Bball is better marketing/getting the fans excited. Bringing midnight madness back could really help that. I thought the house of horrors theme was good marketing while it lasted. Maybe it scared the kids, but it was pretty cool.