Midnight Madness?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bullish, Aug 9, 2013.

1. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Damn, I thought that Kentucky played the same SEC teams as Florida. Are there two different SEC Conferences? Now I agree that Kansas and Duke can't and Michigan can't either. Big 10 football sucks.

Kentucky brings in basketball recruits for football games (after all Kentucky was one of the first football teams in the South) and they bring in football recruits to basketball games. Hell they even take them to Keeneland. The big difference is that Florida can't bring in recruits to MM in front of 22,000 fans.

The first Midnight Madness at UK was initiated by Joe B. Hall and it was a lot like Big Blue Madness is today. It was not a track event but an introduction to the players and a game. Your knowledge of Midnight Madness seems to be riddled with an absence of facts. MM was going on long before ESPN existed.
  2. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Gator Lurker, going to the football games reinforces we have a great football program. I would like to see the football team members talking, "wow, the basketball team is throwing a huge party tonight for their annual kickoff; a concert, bar b que, skits, ESPN will be there and my brother who plays basketball for Clearwater, tampa, Ft laud, Miami, etc HS is coming, after the game today we have to shower, dress in a hurry and my girlfriend will be coming to go with me. I wouldn't miss this for anything!"

Billy did the chicken dance after one of the NCAA games, well, let his players and fans have a little fun also. Loosen his tie, heck even chuck it for a night and dance like Digger Phelps! LOL

I bet Billy's wife would like to see him cut loose and all his family included. There is no reason Florida can't have to best Midnight Madness in the nation. We are,
    the Florida Gators.

Come on Billy, let's get this program red hot!
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    Maryland's First Midnight Madness: 1971
    ESPN: 1979
    UK's First Midnight Madness: 1982
  4. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    I will provide my 2 cents. I made it down for an early midnight madness a while back. It may have been right after we went the final four in 2000. The O'Dome was packed and enthusiastic, yet despite all this, the night was still pretty lame. I think the idea of the event tended to be better than the event itself. As I understand it, attendance was starting to wane at Midnight Madness, and I bet the staff thought it was better to go without a midnight madness than bring recruits to an event that kind of sucks.

Let's focus on getting the O'Dome full for a top non-conference game before we try and fill it up for a practice.
  5. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +213
    It takes two good teams to make it a big time football game.
  6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    FWIW, there has been no decision made as of yet relating to MM this year.
    We still may or may not have it.
    The topic is in 'discussion mode'.
  7. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Gotham, lets first try to get an exciting evening together of fun for fans. Live Music, a Bar-b-que, skits from the theater dept., whatever you and other might constitute fun for you and friends, I am sure the players would like all of this. Nearing the final of the evening whether we practice or just introduce the players and show off their skills in a fun format, a relaxed evening for everybody. I am sure you like to go out to do what?
    Well be heard.

One person put a light scrimmage with our NBA alumni. Well, right now we have some top drawing cards, this would light everyone's fire. Before that, the largest Bar-b-que in the world, with Sonny's and other local famous Bar-b-que resturants selling their finger licking morsels, and after the tummy is full, a stage with bands that would resonate with the students to get all the kids from UF and nearby schools. Then into the ODome for the alumni scrimmage and intros of the Basketball program coaches, players and former players. How about a comedian announcing the intros versed on our program.

Our attempts have been lame, I know it, but if we get ideas from people like you and everyone that follows the program, get a committee that could put these ideas in motion. Of course the athletic dept and Billy's program would have to OK the format they come up with. Giving back to the fans, especially geared towards the younger generation of Gators fans, would pay itself back in the long run. This same committee if nailing this down in a successful fashion could help get more fans in the stands for each game with a little imagination. Doing nothing is what we have been doing. Let's get over the hump and into the final four!

Aka said it is being talked about, this needs to be done over a period of time and the bookings for all involved done in advance, which I don't believe there is enough time for an event of which I am speaking. After the first year of an successful MM, this group could then tweak the proceeding while building network of sponsors and contributors to this, an annual event, people would look forward to. A successful event could contribute to the town of Gainseville, resturants and hotels. TV could help send this event to a successful evening with advertisments. Many ways to skin a cat!
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    I have been to several Gator Midnight Madnesses, and they were about as exciting as watching my kid play tee-ball, but I don't have to drive 250 miles round trip to watch my kid play tee-ball. IMHO, the only way to make the event exciting would be to have a scrimmage of reasonable length. That way we get to see the new players play + the improvement of returning players. Although a scrimmage against the alumni would be fabulous, my guess is that would not be possible.
  9. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    I'm with you, but we're both big college basketball fans.

Oddly enough, from what I've noticed (using UK as an example), a lot more people actually want an event than a scrimmage. UK has both - and the scrimmage doesn't sell out like the madness event does.

Looking back at my transition into fanhood, I honestly think the pivital event was attending midnight madness and I'm not sure I'd realized this till recently. The whole event seemed exciting and I don't remember much other than the atmosphere and the energy in the place. However, the more years I went, the more I found myself thinking the event part of the thing was boring and all I really cared about by then was the 20 minute scrimmage at the end. Fast forward a few years and I barely care about the scrimmage. They're just dunk fests with no defense where you cross your fingers hoping no one turns an ankle.

This has been the progression I've noticed with others I know as well. Madness kinda serves as the gateway drug.

IMO, if you're posting here, you probably shouldn't be the target audience for such an event. You're already fans. You already know about every player on the team. My bet is there are some people who would be interested in bringing their kids to an event type-thing (complete with t-shirt launchers and other goofyness that most of us would roll our eyes at) that wouldn't normally be interested in buying tickets to a game at this point. Have the mens and womens players do a 3pt contest against the staffs. Have a Billy Donovan impersonation contest. Both casual and hardcore fans like dunk contests.
  10. jrcg8tor

jrcg8tor Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Doubt we would see a scrimage among the NBA alum as they are already in camp. Also we will never see the football players involved either as it is the night before a game.

Also it does count as a practice doesn't it? Also hasn't the NCAA trend of late been cutting back on the number of practices allowed?
  11. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +213
    Starting this season, the NCAA is allowing 30 preseason practices compared to 24 in previous seasons.
  12. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,083
    If you are trying to attract new fans and impress recruits then I would think it would be more about the hoopla than any other thing. Older, more entrenched, fans may enjoy a scrimmage but younger ones would be drawn to festivities.
  13. MJGator8104

MJGator8104 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    Agreed and, probably, the more over the top the better for newbie fans and recruits...
  14. potomacgator

potomacgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    Why not have a short scrimmage along with the other festivities?
  15. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,083
    I don't see anything wrong with that. If it come down to one or the other though I would go with the what I mentioned above.