Midnight Madness?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bullish, Aug 9, 2013.

1. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    Personally, I think that Midnight Madness is an utterly insane, but fun thing and doesn't really damage anything while contibuting both fun and some notereity to the start of Basketball season.

I would like to see every major school have it.
  2. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +737
    Haven't read this whole thread but I can tell you point blank from Billy that it will happen again, but I can't tell you when. It's evaluated year to year. They have been opting just to practice instead of MM, as it's a huge expensive undertaking and hasn't had a huge recruiting benefit in the past few years considering who we've been recruiting, when they committed, and whether official visits could be better spent in other ways.
  3. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Hello Osiris.

Quick question for you. Is it routine at these events such as late night at the phog, MM, red blue scrimmage, and BBM to bring kids in on officials, or are most of these kids showing up on their own dime for unofficials? I'd imagine it's some combination of both, but I haven't really studied it. If you could shed some light on that for me, I'd appreciate it.
  4. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Osiris, you like Billy are missing the point. This event is for getting fans excited, to have a little fun. High school teams all over the state should be brought in. Kids in all schools let in free. The rest of us could pay to offset the costs if this is any reason why not to have it. When we are paying Billy with his salary and all his perks and endorsements upwards to 3 or 4 million, good grief. Kentucky's cost someone put on here for MM was 300K. If it were me, and I was the coach that Billy was, I would pull this chump change out of my pocket. Also, he shouldn't be the one organizing this. He should just let staff and players vote as to what they would like to do with ideas that pop up from people willing to get this event rolling. Everything is good for the program. I don't believe for one minute that an extra practice is going to change what the team does in a season. That is coach speak because he is trying to do all this work by himself. The UofF has plenty of people capable of handling this without Billy lifting a finger.

Someone said I was putting a stake in Billy. No I am not, I am a big believer in Billy's program. He just needs to loosen up and let others be part of an event that gets kids and fans excited for the coming season. If, oh by the way, some recruit thinks this was great, then the better. Hearing comments on Arizona, Kentucky MM's I think we are missing a chance to enhance the program. I as a fan, would like to attend a fun filled evening with the Basketball program promoting itself. Think of a large pep rally that lets fans have some fun.

I have to think, if Billy were at Kentucky, MM would roll on. But at Florida, we have stopped because this just might pull a little interest in the Basketball program during a football season and the football program might suffer. This comment might not be right, but it is how it feels when another year goes by and we don't have this event. Either you or for it or against it, if you have your personal reasons to not to have it, express it, I don't need to hear we will have it again. That is put off for another year.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    I love it the fans love it and the recruits and players love it.

Joe B. Hall was one of the first coaches to do it. I believe Lefty Drisell at Maryland beat Joe one year after the NCAA set the first practice at 12:01AM October 16.
  6. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +737
    That's sounding like a conspiracy theory bullish ;) I'm on your side on this one. I like Midnight Madness. I want to see it happening again, and I've encouraged it. These are the kind of discussions that show the powers that be that there's overwhelming support for it and that it might have a positive impact on the program's overall support & popularity at UF.

And you're right, it's not on Billy to organize it, but he is part of the process. Billy is a coach & recruiter focusing on those things, and he's one of the best. Generating buzz/promoting is part of the job too, like it or not. Most schools across the country have abandoned this particular promo event, however. $300k (the estimate you provided) is not peanuts in this economy, even in our athletic budget.

I've been talking about MM for a couple years as this comes up every offseason. I'm going to get with some people over this next year and see if we can make a push for getting that to happen. From the way people talk on here, I'm sure there are plenty of great ideas to be suggested and plenty of support would be shown. I don't know if that would even get off the ground, but if I'm going to use my strings, it would be for something awesome and fun for the fanbase like this.
  7. 33hoop

33hoop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    UK makes a huge deal out of it and uses their MM as a recruiting tool as much as possible. UK fans don't have much to cheer for other than basketball so they put all their energy and money into it. They dream of having a decent football program but that isn't happening. Even if their new coach finds a shred of success in football he will bolt for greener pastures and they will be back at square one. So, MM is a huge, huge deal for UK fans. Some of them even put on a pair of shoes and brush their tooth to attend.
  8. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    I agree with your general feeling on MM, but this is not the reason it has been tabeled. To the contrary, the concern is that the event itself does not generate enough interest to justify the cost/efforts of hosting it. As Mike Hill said, the times it is done... it is planned so to feed off football and its home crowd. There is no concern that MM will somehow overshadow football. That is absolutely not the issue.
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    I would pay $'s to see an O&B scrimmage or better yet a public practice in the O-Dome, but MM leaves me cold. I saw the first couple of them and they were really insipid.

YMMV.
  10. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,430
    The last one I went to which may have been the last one they had, I enjoyed OK. That was when Carolyn Peck and students were doing the step-up dance or whatever it was called. Truthfully though I enjoyed looking at the wimmin about as much as I did the rest of it. If it helps with recruiting then I am for it.
  11. bullish

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Osiris, thanks in advance for using your connections to the program to help with getting Midnight Madness back. I am sure Cal at Kentucky has people come up with ideas and he puts his and his players thoughts to it and it in turn brings sell-out crowds.

As for the $300m mentioned, here's some ways to get it funded: Corporate Sponsors, Ticket sales, Season ticket holders pay 10 bucks extra to have their seat at this event.
    Adults 10 dollars, Kids and basketball teams around the state free. Athletic dept. chips in, the alumni assoc. chips in. Have TV in on this and sell ads. A concert by a popular national recording act could pay the band and put additional moneys in the coffer.
    All this means is that we need a voluntary committee who loves UF Basketball to raise funds, finding fun things to do for the fans for the whole night. We could start here with good ideas but open it to all fans.

AKA, I appreciate the thoughts. But somehow it feels basketball is in the shadows of the football team, maybe I have followed the Gators since birth (Neil Walk at center in alligator alley, steve spurrier in the swamp) and as most other college fans know, Florida is a great football school and yes, they have a good basketball program. I feel this comes from us not marketing basketball enough, which MM would help take it to people's mind nationwide. I think of recruits watching this on their large flatscreens, Kasey Hill blowing by people, Chris Walker dunking, Pat Young taking the ball away from anyone coming in his territory. As long as we stay on the sidelines, this view from around the nation will prevail, like it or not. Let's all work together to make Florida a juggernaut in all sports, especially the revenue producing ones. I remember after winning the back to back Nat'l titles and the media talking heads saying, all this from a Football school. I want to hear, man, what a basketball program Florida has!

Last but not least, Kentucky fans even put on shoes and brush their tooth for MM, reminds me of some people up here in North Carolina, LOL.
  12. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +737
    Teddy came over yesterday and we talked about it for a while. He's pumped up to work on it. He went up to Gville last night to talk with Billy about some things and that's on the list. I'll let you know what he says when we talk later today. Unless Billy axes it, as the final say is ultimately his, the wheels are in motion.
  13. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    The value of MM or whatever is in the interest and intro it gives to students. Some students have never been to a basketball game in their lives. Many are foreign exchange students. Anything that generates interest in the program pays off down the road.

A few ideas:

An all-day 3-on-3 tournament, with the winning team getting to go through some drills during MM with the Gators might be fun.

Old Guys Shoot-around...Jo, Mike, Al, Udonis, Andrew, Dan, Craig, Matt...bring any former Gator back who wants to participate.

Muschamp Shoot-around...football guys get a chance.
  14. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    UK basketball is a huge deal. It has nothing to do with football, baseball or anything else. Big Blue Madness is a big deal because it is about UK basketball.

Every school that has a MM is using it as a recruiting tool. That is all it has ever been used for. Many recruits credit such events as being factors in their decisions to go to a particular school.

On top of all things is the fact that they are fun events.
  15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    I agree with this 1000%. I just dont aree with the suggestion that the UAA is trying to keep it this way, or that MM is being avoided so night to take a bit of the limelight from football.
    That is not the case.
  16. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +737
    "My AAU handlers would like for me to credit to Midnight Madness in helping me arrive at my decision"
  17. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +620
    Haha, of course. The only reason the big schools can land a recruit...
  18. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    Correct. We might disagree on marketing, but there's no way Jeremy, the Prez, the Alumni, or the UAA would not want this to be America's top basketball program. Football will be just fine either way.
  19. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    The very first one by Lefty D was a 1.5 mile run. I just don't see that as much of a recruiting tool and probably not a whole lot of fun for the players.

It only morphed into a recruiting tool when ESPN started covering them. That was well after the first one (early 1970's IIRC).

Actually I think that Billy D has the right idea for UF by bringing in recruits for a huge football game. The recruits may be hoopsters, but most of them are sports fans and getting to see a big-time football game is probably a big deal for them. Such a strategy can't work for UK, Kansas, Duke, etc because they don't have any big-time football games on campus. Michigan is like UF and guess what ...
  20. bullish

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Gator Planet, some great ideas. Thanks for sharing. I guess I have to draw a line in the sand, without MM we will always be shadowing the top basketball programs in Div. 1. Jeremy should also be in the mix to help with this to get corrected. Remember at top programs, they have it. Doesn't mean I won't still bleed O/B but we can do more to promote the program.