Midnight Madness?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bullish, Aug 9, 2013.

1. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    Does anyone know if we will have Midnight Madness? I hate to watch schools like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC have it every year on National TV. I would love to be able to come down to the O-Dome and and enjoy the new team with a little fun for all the fans. I am sure the players would enjoy being the spotlight to kick off the season.
  2. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    I do not think I will share my view in this. Proceed with caution in this thread.
  3. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    Well, couldn't help it. I agree with everything you said bullish. I miss midnight madness. Maybe one day it will return. As far as it coming back in the near future.... I don't think that is going to happen for a while, if ever.

As far as why it was cancelled, I think Billy wanted an extra full practice. Some teams such as Arizona, have gone away from midnight madness and do a red/blue scrimmage, that sorta has a relaxed feel and lets the public come in.

I am not sure of other factors. I would speculate that it was a bad time for elder and younger people. I would also speculate that it risked injury. I think attendance at the event had declined. It does seem to be a useful recruiting tool. I remember that we would almost always get some time on espn for it. We had one if the bigger events.

Maybe some others can come shed some light on why it isn't around anymore. Good question though. I'll look into that for you and I.
  4. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Page 76 there is a large thread from last year.
  5. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,559
    I always thought Billy made a mistake when he got rid of Midnight Madness.
  6. bposs

bposs Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +293
    Was there much of a turn out when we had it?
  7. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +2,559
  8. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    BEH (Bert) being a Kentucky Fan, do you like Midnight Madness at Kentucky and do the players, recruits and fans like it?

It seems to me Billy thinks he has to put his stamp on this, as in stamping it out. I feel this is selfish in the regard that players, fans, local school kids, recruits would all like it. It would need someone from outside the program to work up a viable event and then let Billy and the players vote if need be, on what they would like to participate in. I have always said a bar b que, live music, walk through the practice facility, meet the players all early in the evening, then a 3 pt and dunk contest. The reason it wasn't attended, not enough marketing and thought put into it. Also, it should be on a saturday night after a Gator football game. This could easily be worked out, but obviously, Billy feels it is silly.

I know students and alumni would like to work on this event to help raise both new fans and awareness of the program with ESPN involved. With Billy coaching the USA team and his fla team, he doesn't have much time, so he should let people with the organizing ability to bring this about without him doing any heavy lifting. I am sure Coach K at Duke lets others get involved.

If you are for Midnight Madness, Holler now! Let em know how you feel. All the negative nellies can sit home and watch top five teams do it. LOL
  9. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +2,559
    Well I wouldn't go out and put Billy on a stake. We do still have an event to let the fans meet the team and stuff, its just not a big event like MM.
  10. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +833
    They did something similar to that a couple years ago and may still do it (not sure as I've graduated). They had an event where students could come, get pizza, get a tour of the facility, meet some of the players and get a talk from Coach Donovan. It was a great event. I think they then had a second version for boosters.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Yep, one year if you put an early deposit down on season tix you got an invite. I really liked it.
  12. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I always thought Midnight Madness events conceptually were fine and could kindle more student interest in the team. But, as programs began adding more bells and whistles and making the event more of a recruiting tool than a fan event, the shark inevitably was jumped. That video montage of the players that Kentucky runs at its event is freakin' ridiculous overkill, IMO.
  13. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +646

Can't speak for Burt, but every UK fan I know loves that midnight madness takes place. Some of the more serious fans will mock it for its pep rally-esque atmosphere, but that's really what it is. Its a HUGE event for bringing recruits to. This isn't just the case for schools that make this a HUGE event either. I've heard recruits talk about madness-like events at other schools as well that made a big impact on them.

To me, its about recruits and fans. For UK its a chance to see the team for many, even locals, who wont' have a chance otherwise.

Jmac83 says its overkill? Haha, its definitely overkill. But thats much of the point. The people you see most excited in the stands are kids. They like the overkill. Recruits do too and Cal lets the current players have a say in how the introductions work. This event also draws criticism - albeit usually from profs who don't understand where the funding comes from. Last year's event cost nearly 300k I believe.

Evidence of said overkill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PueUdCDINw

Remember, IMO these events should be put on by any team that can do it to whatever degree they are capable. It brings in young fans (fans that will someday buy tickets and care more about the actual basketball being played than the ridiculous madness event that they first attended). Its a great investment in the future support of the program. Billy knows his program better than I do, but I don't see how its not a good idea - even if the payoff is down the road (which, in recruiting, it won't be).
  14. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +145
    http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/05/03/midnight-madness-moves-to-september/

I like that idea of holding an Orange-Blue scrimmage as the first practice - perhaps both the men's & women's basketball teams could hold this as a joint event. First weekend of October could be a good time. Are there any scheduled football games then?

Strike that; the second week of September (after the Miami game) seems to have an opening during the football season!
  15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    I hope this is kosher, as this was an insider column I wrote last year. It is old enough that I hope its okay for me to provide Mike Hill's answer to my question relating to Midnight Madness.

Anyway... he is that portion of my interview with him:

1) Why did we discontinue Midnight Madness, and will it return?

Whether or not we stage Midnight Madness is something that we decide collectively with the basketball staff. The most successful Midnight Madness events that we have had were on home football weekends, because the population of Gainesville swells with all of the out-of-town fans. The past few years, the first basketball practice dates have fallen on the same night as Gator Growl, in which case we have integrated basketball into the Growl show. This year, it happens to fall on the Friday of a road football weekend, and our basketball staff felt that they would be better served to have a regular, full practice instead of a Madness show, especially with such a tough opener looming against Georgetown. I do think you’ll see Madness again in the future, though.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    To add to what REM posted, UK fans camp out for tickets to midnight madness (or whatever they call it now) and I think it always sells out. I also agree that it looks like overkill but it isn't meant to be a serious event. I had no idea that it cost 300k to put on but I'm guessing it comes out of the athletic budget. Professors just like to bitch about sports sometimes.
  17. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    I remember reading this when you first put it out but forgot the details. As you probably know, the NCAA has loosened the rules on when basketball teams could hold their first practice. It can be done as early as 9/27 this year. Kansas is holding their madness event on 10/4 while Kentucky is holding theirs on 10/18. It seems like 10/4 would be an ideal date for Florida with our home football game against Arkansas that weekend.

I'll count on you to get it done for us. :grin:
  18. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,703
    Thanks for posting that aka. Don't think there would be a problem with doing so.
  19. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    I will certainly inquire about it!
  20. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    From my friend the Arizona fan: 'Okafor, Cliff Alexander Stanley Johnson and justise Winslow with Parker Jackson Cartwright. Tyler Dorsey and Ivan Rabb for 2015 will all be at red blue game.'

That might give you an idea of what we are missing out on without midnight madness or a big scrimmage. These things are events. Think Friday Night Lights, but for basketball.