Mid Week, Non Game Thread, Joel Embiid

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tegator80, Jan 21, 2014.

1. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,957
  2. gaturguru

gaturguru Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    Embiid is still a twig and even in the clips they show him getting pushed around. I'd take Young over him for this year. No way is he drafted over Parker and Wiggins.
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,502
    Embiid is very athletic, but he is skinny, especially for a 5. He'll get crushed in the NBA at his current size.

Draft is on potential. I'm sure NBA teams will figure they can help him with his size/strength.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    I've heard a couple different tales on these boards regarding our recruitment of Embiid. One is that we (like everyone else in the world) got on him really late and he just chose the Kansas. I've heard that he was strongly connected with fellow Cameroonian Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, a former UCLA player who was on those two Final Four Bruins teams we smacked around and doesn't like us very much. I've read that we were never really all that passionate in our pursuit, and I've read that we really, really wanted him, at least toward the end.

I do distinctly remember discussions here last year that indicated he was strongly leaning toward UF and that most of the insiders thought he would end up here.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,161
    I've heard lots of the same Maddux. Hard to tell. I do think he was very stiff and slow as a prep and that hurt both his early ratings and our recruitment of him. Donovan has never valued size over fluidity. He wants skilled bigs who can switch on ball screens, set picks on the perimeter, face up in the post, and run the floor. Embiid looked like little more than flat footed rim protector, but some of that may have been his lack of familiarity with the game. The slower you are to recognize things, the harder it is to react. Now, he seems far more agile and fluid than I ever remember him being in prep film.
  6. CASontag

CASontag Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    Embiid's game has seemed to start to come around of late. I was watching a high school basketball game yesterday (admittedly more listening than watching it) and in that game there was a Kansas commit, Cliff Alexander. He's a power forward and had a double double in the game I believe (looked it up, had 30 pts, 12 rebounds, 5 blocks against the number 1 ranked Montverde Academy (Fla.)). If Embiid stayed another year and could team up with Cliff, and with another year of seasoning for the admittedly young team they currently have, Self would have a team that could easily challenge to win it all (if they keep on their current track they may be a force in this years NCAA tournament). Even if Embiid leaves after this season (and Wiggins almost assuredly leave), they'll still be very dangerous next year. And lucky for them, they're in conference that has a lot of ranked teams so even with their 4 loses they've jumped back into the top ten with 4 straight wins over then top 25 ranked teams. This makes me appreciate all the more that UF scheduled a good preseason schedule because I'm not sure how well UF could rebound in rankings (and ultimately in seeding in the NCAA tournament which is more important) if they get a couple loses in SEC play without that to offset things.
  7. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    Saw a mock draft on CBS yesterday that projected Embiid as the #1 pick of the 2014 draft and Wiggins #2. No way he's sticking with Kansas for another year.
  8. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575
    He's not so sure...
    "I was curious because I want to be great, I want to be the best at my position one day," he said. "I'm trying to learn everything and what other people did. All of the great big men went to college at least two or three years. I think it's a big factor. I don't know if it will always work, but I think it's the best choice."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...e-nowhere-become-perhaps-nation-best-freshman

Now I have to think being the #1 overall pick (or even "only" top 3) would be hard to turn down, but he's at least considering it.
  9. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    IMO this is one of the best recruiting guys around. He has an opinion on this.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. your_perfect_enemy

Ratings Received:
    +1,575
    I've thought myself. I think it was a gamble of having a guy for 2 years that was somewhat proven in Harris vs. a raw kid who could potentially explode but be gone just as soon as he's figuring it out and it looks like it didn't work out.

I think we were in the same position with DFS and the Harrel kid at Louisville, while harrel is having a good season I like how that one is working out for us.
  11. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Apeman

Apeman Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +756
    It definitely pains me every time I watch Embiid play. He's an animal. Next Hakeem
  13. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +873
    Re: DFS, he did not become available until after Billy had already offered Devon Walker and accepted his commitment, as we had missed out on all of our top targets and needed to add someone with length in the class. Several people close to the program thought that would cause us to miss out on DFS, and that had DFS notified Billy of his intention to transfer a little earlier, Walker would not have been offered. Shortly thereafter, DFS committed to UF, appearing to put us over the scholarship limit. That situation was resolved when Cody Larson's scholarship was pulled.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. your_perfect_enemy

Ratings Received:
    +1,575
    Ah thanks for the info!
  15. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,263
    His defense is very impressive in the highlight clip. Would have been great to have him. He looks fairly mobile for his size, but I wouldn't compare him to Hakeem.
  16. peteypab

peteypab Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    Can't agree with you there. From what I have seen, Embiid has improved beyond Young already. Kansas is looking very dangerous right now. They could not deal with our 1-3-1 zone and their players looked pretty rattled when they played us. I think it would be interesting to play them in the tournament (hopefully with Chris Walker). It would be a very good game to watch.
  17. gaturguru

gaturguru Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    Sounds about right but if Harris and Walker are around for next year then it all works out. Still nothing like suffering through Brantley at QB with Newton winning the heisman as well as a title for Auburn!
  18. GatorJason

GatorJason Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +117
    When Patric Young decided to return for his senior season, we immediately lost Embiid and Randall. I believe either one of those players would have joined the Gators if the post position was open for a OAD season. Personally, I'm glad Patric returned and would rather have him over any OAD player.
  19. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706

I LOVE Young. (Dont' you have it when people feel they have to preface a criticism of some kind with a positive statement...). But... Just my opinion, but I think either Randle or Embiid would make Florida a better team. I don't even see how Randle would have viewed Young's return as being related to him. They play different positions. By March, Billy wouldn't have been able to keep either of these guys off of the floor. You're saying you'd rather have Young than potentially a top 3 draft pick in this years draft. You can say that's based on potential but I'd disagree with Embiid and Randle. Both have shown they're able to contribute significantly - and at times dominate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fans preferring their own (technically I even am in talking about Randle) and I think Young is the epitome of the kind of player and person that programs should take pride in having. Honestly I don't view him much differently than I do Tim Tebow. My only point is that, as objectively as I can, I think either of the players you mention would be more valuable this year, for this Florida team, whether they're OAD or not.
  20. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,263
    We may get to see some of these comparisons play out on the floor in the Tourney!

I'd love to have a rim protector like Embiid, but Young is also critical to our defense with the way he moves around the court so well, showing on the screens, quickly getting back to his (or Yeguete's/DFS's) man, etc. It would be nice if Young had the moves & shooting touch in the paint of a Haslem or Lee, but even so he still keeps the defense honest and does so many other things for us as well that are crucial to success.