Michigan State English Prof rips republicans in class....

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by secgator, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +447
    I'd like to add that I don't understand the controversy with college professors getting all political, either (or any) way. High school, sure, I can get wit that. No commentary. Teach the facts, pertinent skills, leave your personal baggage at home. The kids are required to be there and are, well, kids.

But college is for adults and it isn't mandatory. It's where you often learn the first tough lessons about life not being fair (or balanced.) It's where, and time, you learn to distinguish between what you'll accept and what you won't. Got a blowhard leftie or rightie spewing a bunch of stuff you don't like? Mad that you (or mom and dad) are paying for an education but instead getting editorials? Deal with it brah. Go to the department head. Go to the dean. Drop the class. Confront the professor. Start a petition. Blog it out. Do SOMETHING. This is what the real world is like. Your future boss or employees could be like this to--some assuredly will. This is what the rest of life looks like.

I have no problem with a nutty professor, so long as it's not the norm. In fact, I wish I'd had more back in the day. Not only is it entertaining, it's educational in its own right. And when it got out of hand, it was up to me to rectify it.

That's not an endorsement or condemnation of this particular professor, I'd need more information to form an opinion. But the concept of "data only" in college seems ludicrous to me.