Michael Sam is on course to cause some major issues

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorman_07732, May 16, 2014.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +805
    If you think winning SEC defensive player of the year is nothing of note, you really have pretty high standards for football players.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/awards/sec-dpoy.html

That is a heck of a list of football players. Not a single one from UF. And we have had some pretty good defenders here.

I am not sure why you feel the need to personally attack somebody as a "bum" and as a "punk." You are acting exactly like those that attacked Tebow for reasons other than football. There is no evidence to back your personal attacks. You just lobbed them at him because...well that really is the question isn't it. Why would you feel the need to attack a guy who has never been in trouble and was SEC Defensive Player of the Year as a punk and as a bum?
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,152
    Yeah, but you seem to have ruled out that he wasn't even the best player on his own defensive front, and that the voters looked at his end of year stats, with no regard to how inconsistent he was in games that mattered.

Also no one seems to ever mention that he was the CO-defensive player of the year. with C.J. Mosley
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +805
    If the case is so strong against him as a player, I would imagine you wouldn't have to shade the truth in order to make it. He averaged less than 2 solo tackles per game if you disregard his best games. That isn't odd for defensive linemen, as they don't get a ton of solo tackles. He averaged 3.4 total tackles per game in those other games, which is a decent number for a defensive lineman.

While his sack stats were concentrated in the Vandy (I remember what their "inferior" offensive line did to our defensive line even if you don't), Florida, and Arkansas State games, he had 3 tackles for a loss against South Carolina, a sack and a forced fumble against Oklahoma State, 4 tackles for a loss combined against Toledo and Murray State, and a fumble return for a touchdown against Georgia.

The case against Sam is entirely on his athletic ability. He had good games in at least 8 of their 13 games.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/michael-sam-1/gamelog/
  4. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +5,152
    Quite a few NFL busts in that list.
    Some no longer in the NFL, some traded away.

Jarvis Jones: Dissapointed in lack of production
    http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/3399/jones-disappointed-in-lack-of-production
    Morris Claiborn: Bust of Epic Proportions
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...could-be-a-bust-of-epic-proportions-in-dallas
    Rolando McClain: Bust wants to play again.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutd...reportedly-wants-to-play-again-224603780.html
    Glen Dorsey: 4 sacks in first 5 seasons.
    David Pollack??? Cmon.
    Chad Lavalais: lasted less than two seasons.
  5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +805
    You are seriously labeling a player a bust after 1 season? This is what I am talking about here. Your desire for Sam to not be successful (which I fail to understand), is clouding rational thought here. Unless you normally label people busts after 1 year, which would make you completely ridiculous in general, you are engaging in behavior you would not normally engage in on this thread.

Your list really only contains 1 football-related bust. Glenn Dorsey was a starting defensive lineman for the San Francisco 49ers this past year. 3-4 down linemen don't tend to accumulate many sacks. Starting for one of the best defenses in the league doesn't lend much credibility to a "bust" claim. Morris Claiborn has been injured constantly. Jones has only played 1 year. Rolando McClain couldn't stay out of trouble (but had 85 tackles in the year when he wasn't arrested or getting thrown out of practice). David Pollack broke his neck after his rookie year in which he totaled 4.5 sacks in his 5 starts. I guess he should have tried not to do that.

So you really identified that Chad Lavalais didn't have much of an NFL career. That is true. And if Michael Same starts getting into trouble or can't stay healthy, he will likely bust as well. No evidence to back a statement that either of those things will happen, but that is all you little list of "busts" proved.
  6. richmondgator81

richmondgator81 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351

Because he's gay.
  7. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +5,152
    I did not label them as busts. The articles did.
  8. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +5,152
    Ignorant statement. My everyday life, and associations dont back this up. If he played for my Dolphins, Id want him to make the probowl.
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,133
    Nobody called you a troll. And Ice Queen was merely resp0nding to your first post in this thread.
  10. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Actually, only one of the articles you linked called the player a bust. One said that one of them was flirting with it and the other never used that word. And yes you did label them as busts. You said "Quite a few NFL busts in that list." That is labeling people busts. So wrong on both counts.
  11. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,176
    But equating them as a non-football related aspect of player's life that draws media attention is not.
  12. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    You are being intellictually dishonest if you dont think thats what he has been doing since he began posting here.

But keep carrying his water. Needs all the help he can get.
  13. ncgatr1

ncgatr1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +794
    I
    Exactly, but unfortunately gay activist groups are very intolerant and very judgmental when it comes to protecting gays regardless of the situation. They are always right and they will probably pressure or threaten lawsuits if Sam is cut. If he is cut it will be because of his talent not his gayness, but the activists won't see it that way.
  14. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +891
    Interesting that you mentioned Mafia since his boyfriend has been linked to the Mob.
  15. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,144
    This thread has fulfilled its own premise. Schlong ports of call are now more important than X's and O's.
  16. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +5,152
    I was quoting the posts. 2 of the 3 links clearly said "busts" I can pull articles that mention many of them as busts or near busts.Just google the players name, and the word bust. Dorsey is the definition of bust. He was a top 5 pick. Lavalais is the posterchild of bust. I just did not link you to the multiple articles that mention them as such. I agree about Pollack, I had forgotten about his injury.

So yes, I used the term bust, but I arrived at that based on a plethora of articles that use that terminology IRT those players.
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
  17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +805
    So at one point, you are labeling an NFL starter as a bust because he was a high pick and another guy as a bust because he left the league after a couple of years, as a fifth round pick. Your criteria appears to lack consistency. So, as a 7th rounder, what does Michael Sam have to do not to be a "bust?"
  18. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +5,152
    Y
    You were the one who gave the list of SECPOYs. I simply pointed out that that award is basically meaningless in regards to NFL success, or even draft rank.

I consider it a bust when the best defensive player (allegedly) in the powerful SEC fails to be a very successful NFL player. We arent using draft possition as the yard stick here, we are using the SECPOY label. Thats the conversation we are having.

A 7th round pick cant really be a bust....UNLESS....that player was viewed as the SECs best player on defense...and in this case claims he should have been drafted by round 3.
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
  19. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,382
    Yeah, me too!

So...where's it happening? I'd like to tune in and check it out....
  20. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,176
    Do you consider Tebow a bust then?