Michael Phelps Weight Gain Watch

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +843
    He says that this is his last Olympics. So, the weight gain watch begins in August. No more 12,000 calories a day (I suspect he was fibbing on that).

Will he go the way of Eddie Merckx, when he stopped riding ? Or will he radically adjust his calories to account for drastically less activity ?

Stay tuned.
  2. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +811
    I think he came out an admitted on one of the late night talk shows that the 12k calorie/day thing was largely exaggerated. I would think he would adjust whatever he's actually eating downward, it would probably be incredibly uncomfortable to continue eating that much for someone his size without burning it off with an ungodly amount of activity
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +843
    There are two ways of looking at it: (1) incredibly uncomfortable eating 8,000 to 9,000 calories a day or (2) incredibly uncomfortably dropping from 8,000 to 9,000 calories a day to, say, 3,000 calories a day.

I suspect the latter is more challenging since prodigious training pretty much keeps you hungry and also because, as you've noticed, competitive athletes tend to gain weight, often lots of weight, when they retire from competition.
  4. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Based on his body type I have a hard time thinking he will put on massive amounts of weight. I also think he will remain somewhat in the public eye through endorsements for a number of years and that might also keep him in at least presentable shape.

I don't really follow swimming though and especially not those who have retired from competition. I only know of dara torres really and she stayed in phenomenal shape.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +843
    I'm an ectomorph like Phelps, perhaps even moreso. So, while I will never *look fat* in my clothes, nevertheless, I can put on an appreciable amount of fat. Indeed, unchecked, I will increase bodyfat at the same rate as a man with a heavier frame.
  6. 15gator05

15gator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +211
    Maybe subway will pay him to get fat and then have him be there new jeryd once he loses the weight by only eating subway. Lol