Miami's AD is reaching out to Foley to continue rivalary

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Sep 11, 2013.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,096
    Does it feel good to pretend to be a GATOR!?

Go GATA!
    ,WESGATORS
  2. GatorStang

GatorStang Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    Yes there will be, only I'll be the one doing the stabbing :joecool:

Kidding! But really, I'm Cuban...
  3. DuPontGator

DuPontGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +254
    There is multiple trolls in this thread
  4. Rawpimple

Rawpimple Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +191
    How is duke Johnson ever gonna win a heisman if he has to play against the gators every year? I say we don't play and Miami exchanges Florida for Florida gulf coast.

Imagine this juggernaut of a schedule: fau, fiu, savannah state, Florida gulf coast, Virginia, Bethune Colman, duke, Georgia tech. I'd say duke and stephen Morris could split the heisman. First time ever we have a tie.
  5. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    Hope the NCAA drops a Florida-like penalty -- no bowls for two years and 30 scholarships lost -- on the Canes, then Foley announces hours later that he'd be glad to renew the series for the next few years.
  6. Lizardgrad89

Lizardgrad89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I've noticed that whenever we say we aren't interested in renewing the series, the Canes hop up and say they'd love to renew it, but when we say yeah, maybe we would, they say no, we have too many scheduling issues, you know, with being in a conference and all.
  7. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,518
    Reading cane boards even in years they don't play us is interesting. They seem to have this bizarre obsession with us that I don't see out of UGA or FSU.
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,306
    :huh:
  9. VanNoord

VanNoord Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +263
    UM one year, FSU the next. What's so hard about that?

I've been to my share of UM games in Miami -- not as bad as Jacksonville as far as fighting and jerks.
  10. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +322
    No Thanks No More Miami.
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,306
    Some of you are killing me. The Saturday after thanksgiving must never change.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. bcdowling

bcdowling New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    It's a financial issue - it's got nothing to do with it being a rivalry or whether fans want to see it or not. Foley has already said we had to start budgeting in 2008 for a six-game home schedule this year. It gets even more complicated when we go to a 9-game SEC schedule in 2016. We can't give up one of our remaining 2 home "cash-cow" games to play a home/home or even a neutral site Miami game where we're only getting 50% (or less) of what we get from a home game every year (a home/home with Miami in a 2-year series would balance out the same as a one game neutral site where we split the revenue).

Noone particularly likes seeing us play directional Michigan or whoever - but money makes the program run. Even at like 60% attendance for the Toledo game, the UAA still made bank. What COULD be feasible would be alternating home/homes with FSU and Miami - just swapping one for the other every 2 years.
  13. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    It mostly comes down to class envy by people who formed their college football allegiance when they were in high school and never had reason to change it.

When the Noles were at their peak in the 1990's, they picked up some bandwagon support in South Florida high schools from kids looking to set themselves apart from "da U" crowd. So if you see a Seminole fan in Miami, they're not necessarily an FSU grad. And obviously, hardly any Cane fans really went there.

Whereas if you see someone repping Florida down here in Cane country, there's a 99% chance it's a UF grad. They call us arrogant and stuff but it's really just because in their experience, most if not all of the Gators they deal with are in positions of relative respectability if not authority.

It's not a matter of attitude on our part, it's just a reality that I guess is consistent to the point of causing annoyance and resentment: Who's the person likely to be the most significant Gator in a typical Cane fan's life? His boss.
  14. mulegator

mulegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +577
    I have always enjoyed playing an occasional game in Tampa or Orlando. I think it is a good idea to play Miami occasionally at a neutral site, in or out of the state.
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,052
    I think you are dead on. One extra home game every two years should not be something a business should build its business plan on. It's not Florida's responsibility to prop up underfunded businessses...
  16. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,900
    Who the heck wants to resurrect the Miami football program? They're on their way down.
  17. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    No doubt local business owners would complain but that is not Foley's concern. As he has explained many times, we need seven annual home games to fully fund our own athletic department. No other sport is revenue self-sustainable, not even men's basketball. Football pays for all of it. They can't afford to slash their annual revenue by 14%.
  18. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,052
    Not sure of this, but I don't think there is a 14% cut in annual revenue if we do a home and home with another AQ conference school (one game every two years), versus a home game with The Citadel.

As a former booster, I smell boosters here. They want an extra game to party with their friends in the luxury boxes, not fly to Indiana and rent a hotel room to watch the Gators play Purdue in the cold...
  19. Gator8239

Gator8239 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    Why don't we just cut Miami a check every year to only play us in the swamp. Make them grovel for our money like the $5 dollar hookers they are. If FSU keeps losing money we can offer them the same. They want to play in a conference that shouldn't even be AQ, we should treat them like a non AQ school.
  20. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    if foley can make millions more in revenue by playing miami every few years in tampa or orlando, why doesn't he do it? he always claims he has to play home games because of the money. but tampa or orlando will guarantee uf more money than they make in gville for some creampuff game.