Miami wants this game - really really bad

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Sep 6, 2013.

1. mulegator

mulegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Matt Hayes breaks it down ..

Once the NCAA decided to -- again -- delay the process of finalizing the nearly two-year investigation, this game, this moment, became the focus of Golden's third year in Coral Gables.

Miami was supposed to know its final punishment 4-6 weeks after its early summer hearing with the NCAA. That six-week date of July 26 is long gone, leaving one-time bitter rival Florida the measuring point for all things Canes and Golden over the last two years.

They've fought the NCAA. They've fought to protect Dade and Broward counties from Florida and Florida State swooping in and stealing elite recruits.

They won enough games last year to win the ACC Coastal Division and get a rematch with rival FSU in the league's championship game, but a self-imposed postseason ban eliminated that. They've done all they could do to rebuild and rebrand a program whose last seminal moment on the field was an all-out brawl in 2007 during a game with FIU.

And now it has come to this: beat the bully, the flagship program in the state with the deep pockets and gold standard conference and two BCS national championships since 2006, and everything changes...

Especially with so much at stake off the field. For more than two years now, Golden has been selling a dream to current players and potential recruits of returning Miami to past glory. Imagine, he says, if you're part of the group that brings this program back to life...

Imagine Sun Life Stadium full again, and you're running out through the smoke and onto a national television stage and the Canes are as bad and bold and brash as they've ever been. Imagine every team's dream of playing for it all has to go through Miami -- just like it did in the early 1990s and early 2000s...

Now take in this reality: there's not a ticket to be had for this weekend's game. Shoot, they've added 2,000 seats to a stadium that hasn't been full for a Canes game in who knows how long..

Florida only received 12,500 tickets, which means more than 60,000 Canes fans might just make Sun Life feel like the Old Lady Orange Bowl of years past...

"These are the games you dream about playing in," said Miami tailback Duke Johnson. "It's not pressure; it's your chance, your time."

What's important is Miami, which has 20 starters returning from a team that won seven games last year, can't slip up. Miami is 1-10 since November 2005 against teams ranked 12th or better (Florida is No. 9 in the Coaches' Poll), and Morris is 0-4 in his career against ranked teams. This is a program that has struggled in the last two years in big games, including two lopsided losses last year (to Notre Dame and Kansas State) that exposed the Canes' lack of talent on the interior lines...

"This is more than just one game," Morris said. "This is a chance for us to set up the rest of the season and beyond. We all know what's at stake..."

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...ation-al-golden-state-of-florida-duke-johnson
  2. coldsteel120

coldsteel120 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I want Natalie Portman really bad as well and it ain't happening. ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MiamiGator79

MiamiGator79 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    Hehe
  4. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Natalie just called and said you still got a chance. UF will be tested. Tomorrow around 330 pm reality will set in. If UF thinksthey can just run between the tackles for 4 qtrs and win I like Miami's chances. It sounds like Peace doesn't know what vanilla is. Okay, I expect the screens and reverses and what not and I am pretty sure Miami does too.

I'm not sure Miami can score but Miami does have a veteran QB and big play type WR's so I would like to believe they can hit a few HR's.

The reality is that Miami is better than most Gator fans think. It will kick in in about 25 and one half hours from this post.
  5. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    I see the Weather Channel is calling for heavy rain at KO........Which team does this Help?
  6. mulegator

mulegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    The team with the grind-it-out ball control offense and the tough-as-nails defense.
  7. THEBIGFISH

THEBIGFISH Platinum Level Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +212
    If this is true then...that favors us in a big way...
  8. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Yep
  9. TWGator

TWGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    "Imagine Sun Life Stadium full again"? When has it been full in the first place? Other than that January night in 2009...
  10. MiamiGator79

MiamiGator79 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    I havent seen any rain forecasts...I'd be very surprised it isn't clear and hot as hell.
  11. HayGator

HayGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    It's usually snowing in Miami.
  12. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Miami wants this game - really really bad

They got it.
  13. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +656
    The line for the game is -3 Florida. Obviously, we aren't David and Goliath here. I ran some stats last year or so, and teams that are favored by 3 historically have won about 60% of the time. I'm certainly not looking to week 3.
  14. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +236
    We shall see.
  15. mulegator

mulegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Most realistic Gator fans see this as a tough game that could be really close.
  16. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,900
    They act like only 12.5k gators will be there. Do they not know how buying tickets works?
  17. ratongator

ratongator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I agree gatorchamps How many of those 60,000 will be gatorfans I would say there was a lot of Gator Fans who bought those tickets.
  18. crl

crl Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Tennessee wanted the game last year really really bad also with about 90,000 more fans yelling for them. If we don't play offense like the UGA game last year and defense like in the Sugar Bowl, I think we'll be OK. Of course, I've been wrong many times before.
  19. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    this is the U's superbowl---their biggest game in years, since the last fla game in gville
  20. MetaGator

MetaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    You didn't mention the Mighty (porous) Miami defense. They may been improved from last year. When you are one the worst in college football you can only go up.

This Cane defense gave up 30.5 points a game last year. They gave up 4.97 yds\rush and 6.11 yds\play. They gave up 486 yds\gm overall and 455 yd\gm AT HOME. They gave up 510 yds\gm against ranked teams and 517 yds\gm against winning teams.

This is a defense that gave up 537 yds to a "powerhouse" Boston College team & 664 yds to an "unstoppable" NC State team. Even more impressive is the 583 yds they gave up to the "perennial football power" Duke.

Even if they get 25% better results, that defense still sucks.

The Gators have not been a juggernaut on offense in the last two years, but they did dominate time of possession, run the football and avoid turnovers in their 11 wins last year. If the offense is basically the same, I cannot see how Miami can stop the Gators from running the ball down their throat over and over and over - and OVER. I can guarantee the Gators have more talent than Boston College, NC State and Duke.

Based on last year and the little we know about this years teams, Miami needs to put in a performance that is significantly better than any last year, or hope the Gators completely fall apart for the Canes to have a chance IMO. It is entirely possibly the Canes are substantially improved from last year, but I have not seen any evidence of it yet.