Miami game is not setting up well for us

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by pinecrestgator, Aug 8, 2013.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,726 / 109 / -27
    Better based on what? Their 5-loss season that included some serious blowouts? Allowing nearly 600 yards to Duke in their last game?

They'll be improved but the frenzy around them is largely unwarranted hype based on the expectation of returners.
  2. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +133 / 4 / -4
    This is silly, bordering on ridiculous. Most of their kids grew up in Florida. They kinda know who we are. This game is not just a collision of two storied programs, it is a collision of cultures. I go to Miami alot, and I wear my Gator shirts. They HATE us. They look down on us as rednecks, no matter how many years we were ranked ahead of them academically. We look at them like they are scum and feel like we need a bath every time we are around them.

We played them here in, what 2008? There has not been a Gator home game since that game that was as hard a sellout as that one. I was in the stadium, but my son tried to walk up and buy a ticket and the cheapest he could find on the street was $500. He watched the game at a Sports Bar.

Their kids in 2008 had not grown up with the rivalry either. Their kids in 2008 weren't born when Florida Flopped either. Their kids in 2008 weren't born when we discontinued the series either, but they played like banshies; and I remember being really nervous and frustrated until we put them away late.

Anyone that thinks that these guys won't play as hard as they possibly can have no idea. You think you know, but you just don't know. And the more you argue the point, the more ignorant you look.

The biggest thing that we have going for us is that they just are not very good. The second thing we have going for us is the noon kickoff will dull the crowd. I think that they will keep it reasonably close because they will play like a bunch of Kamakazis; but like with the kamakazis, fanatical effort won't beat superior firepower as long as the side with superior firepower is ready for the contest. We'll be ready. Gators by 10.
  3. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +538 / 22 / -4
    As long as our guys don't hit South Beach the night before...
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,167 / 74 / -15
    Who are "they"? The players or the fans?

Who says they won't play hard? The point is that the two sides don't play in each other on an annual basis, thereby creating the sort of heated rivalry that exists between teams that in fact do.

But good argument: "You think you know, but you just don't know."
  5. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    And the point that was made back to you, which renders your point moot, is that regardless of whether we play each other every year or not, the Cane fans in Miami have a huge chip on their shoulder about all things Gators. If you lived here you would know this.

Please accept the fact that other people in other places have different vantage points and different perspectives on things.

That's a polite way of saying, anyone who says there's not a heated rivalry between UM and UF doesn't know what they're talking about.
  6. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Doctor Gator, are you an obstetrician? Because you DELIVERED on that post. :yes:
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,167 / 74 / -15
    Again, I am talking about the players, not the fans. Whether the fans have a heated rivalry or not wasn't really my contention. I personally don't get worked up about Miami, but that is as immaterial to the outcome of the game as whether another fan might. The point is that these players do not have a rivalry because they have never played each other at this level. Now, there could be an argument made that certain preps who faced off against each other have that kind of a rivalry, but that is fairly tenuous since there are only individual instances of it rather than entire teams.
  8. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    How do you know how the UM players look at UF?

It has been explained to you multiple times now by multiple posters. Damn near EVERYBODY in Miami who isn't a Gator hates the Gators. The UM players live in Miami, too. Whether they were born and raised here -- like MANY of them were -- or whether they came from elsewhere, they all live here now. Here being Miami. And Miami being where damn near everybody hates the Gators.
  9. rounds

rounds New Member

Ratings Received:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Trust me, their hatred of all things Gator runs deep as the ocean. Our refusal to schedule their CHEATIN AZZES places their football program in jeopardy due to loss of a guaranteed sell-out at their "place" every other year with attendant increased season ticket sales. MANY of the players on both teams "knew" each other from a young age and have been doing the '305' potty mouth for years.
    If anybody ever deserved the DEATH PENALTY, it is MIAMI. I abhor them and I have never lived south of Gainesville.
  10. rounds

rounds New Member

Ratings Received:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    They started cheating in a last ditch effort to save football with Schnellenberger and have never stopped cheating as they know how to get away with it. Inbred in the institution.
  11. AmbroseGator

AmbroseGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I lived in South Florida for eight years until fairly recently. Yes, there is a general dislike for the Gators but far more likely than for there to be any overt criticism is for UF to be ignored completely. The vast majority of UM fans are complete band wagoners who know little to nothing about their own team, let alone any others.

Yes, the few times the Gators are ever mentioned anywhere in the media, it's negative. But I'd say it was more of a "the world revolves around us" perspective in my experience than any focused antipathy concerning UF. I'm not disagreeing that the locals wouldn't love the Canes to stomp the Gators (I was there in 03). I am disagreeing with the level of anxiety raised by a few and suggesting this game isn't quite as important to folks there as some have asserted. They will cheer and taunt if we lose, boo and hiss if we win, but the Canes are broadly supported in Miami because they happened to be the big local team, not because so many care that much. And since the Dolphins probably have a game the next day, their attention will be quickly diverted, one way or the other.
  12. theologator

theologator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    scUM has the biggest bandwagon fans in the nation in any sport. A Walmart tank top buys them license be the most obnoxious and rude fans in the nation as well. If you saw the ESPN 30 for 30 on them, this is no accident. They specifically created this culture to the detriment of the sport.

A home game against the state's flagship university is primarily an excuse to get drunk and pick fights. Kind of like a gas fire, they can burn explosively but briefly. I assume the host stadium (remember, they don't have a stadium) will be selling beer, which will fuel the mess. They don't so much care about their team or the game, they just want to be in your face taunting and ridiculing you. That's their show, their buzz.

And if they lose, they never cared about their team or the game anyway so they are immune to your cheers. Or maybe they can still get their fight. As soon as the Gators take control they will leave. Then it is on to the next party.

Their actual fan & alumni base is small and, like the ocean nearby, shallow.

I agree that the noon start and heat will significantly mitigate their energy.
  13. rounds

rounds New Member

Ratings Received:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Most of their alumni went back to Jersey.
  14. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,726 / 109 / -27
    I walked up to Miami 08 and got a $20 ticket
  15. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +499 / 8 / -2
    I am with you. This is their game of the year, their superbowl. They will give everything they have and then some to beat us. I am very worried.
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,167 / 74 / -15
    Well, I guess three posters is multiple...

My entire argument was that playing Miami differs from traditional rivalries in that you don't have the personal and competitive tensions from playing an opponent every year. It may differ between fanbases or generations of players, but on the whole someone you only play once every 5-10 years isn't going to become a hated opponent the way it is for a recurrent opponent.

Consequently, I don't think the claim that "Miami will be up for this game because they hate Florida" makes much sense. The fans and alumni? Sure. But the players? I highly doubt some inner city kid from Miami or poor kid from the Muck, both of whom might have taken recruiting trips to Florida and become friends with fellow recruits who went to Florida themselves, is going to be extra motivated because a bunch of fans and alumni in Miami hate the Gators. It might be different if it was a team they lost to last year or who rammed it down their throats for a game clinching first down a year ago or who they got into fisticuffs with during pregame or whose entire team ran onto the field to celebrate their first touchdown, as is the case with recurrent opponents.

Now, they will certainly be ready to play because it is a big time game against a big time program that their coaching staff has certainly been emphasizing all off-season, but it is a pretty tenuous connection to say that people in Miami hate the Gators, therefore any Miami player recruited from Miami hate the Gators, and in turn this will be a heated rivalry unlike the others.
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,167 / 74 / -15
    They probably threw the meth in for free.
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,756 / 84 / -24
    Agree - well put.

And I am no fan of scUM fans. I understand why people take a heated view of them. But that's a different thing than what the players will be feeling.
  19. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +274 / 79 / -16
    Good post. This is why I laugh at some who say this is by far their biggest game of the year. They have annual games with Virginia Tech, Virginia and Florida State that mean far more than a periodic OOC game with the Gators. Against those three schools whom they play EVERY year, they are a dismal 10-17. Idiot Cane fans say they think only of MNCs, rather than conference titles, but they have not even made an appearance in an ACCCG since they joined the conference in 2004. How many Gator fans would say this is the biggest game of OUR season? No one, but a handful of old-timers or locals who have to endure the obnoxious fans every day, like Lincoln Gator above..

The only reason is is circled on our calendar (and theirs) is the unbridled hatred between the fan bases of the two teams...
  20. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163 / 3 / -2
    I'd hate for some Gator fans to steal or defile the thing. That would make it seem like we cared about the damn canoe, which we don't. Let 'em keep it. They certainly haven't been filling their trophy case with anything else lately.