Miami game is not setting up well for us

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by pinecrestgator, Aug 8, 2013.

1. pinecrestgator

pinecrestgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    This game is on everyone's radar as one of the most intriguing early season games. The espn guys were discussing it last week on CFB live:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--miami-looking-to-become-relevant-again-000201851.html

I hate to be negative but with our injuries so far, this game isn't setting up well for us. When coupled with how badly Miami wants this game, I think Sep 7 could be a rough one for us. The canes want blood. We're going to have to weather a storm in So. Fla like we did against TAMU and Tenn last year. This might be a greater challenge than either of those two games
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,524
    I'm honestly not worried about that game.
  3. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +577
    I kind of feel like it sets up well for UF....it is before they get into the start of the SEC games so it can be the primary focus of the pre- season.
    I realize UM will be "hungry" for a victory, but I cannot imagine UF won't be just as hungry and focused. I would expect almost a neutral field from a crowd standpoint, probably a 60-40 split but it should be a good enough environment to insure the guys are fired up.
    And for all the talk about injuries, the only impact guy we know is out right now is Morrison.
  4. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +774
    Supposedly at the ACC coaches media day, Golden was going through the weight gains of each player, especially on defense and they have all gained anywhere from 30-50 lb's of muscle. All of them. I find this incredibly amazing unless they have the biogenics boys hanging out with them like Ponzi boy did.
  5. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    Ditto. People keep peeing their pants over a 7-5 Cane team. It could be close, but I'm comfortable that UF takes this one. Now, LSU away...that one is worth biting my nails over.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,524
    LSU is actually the one "big boy" game I'm not worried about either. They lost a ton, we match up well against them yet again.

UT is nice because we're at least at home

UGA is going to be very tough

USC is going to be very tough

Vanderbilt will be tougher than usual

(Those games come three weeks in a row, which won't help).

But at bare minimum Toledo and Miami? Nah.
  7. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +693
    One of the best kickoff returners in SEC history is not an impact guy?
  8. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Just as long as our D can score a TD and hold Miami to 10 points I think we have a decent shot at winning.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,694
    It should be a very good game. Miami returns at ton and we don't, they are eager to make a statement, and the game is on their home field. That being said, unless their motivation increases their talent level between now and then, I don't think they are talented enough to beat us unless we come out and lay an egg like the Sugar Bowl. I don't see that happening.
  10. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Simply not possible. If weight gains are accurate, we're going to be running rings around some fat boys.
  11. ufngineer

ufngineer Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    I think the team will be more than ready to serve up some fried ibis bird for lunch..
  12. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    I'm with ya. I just always respect going to death valley..even when they are considered down. Similar to how they must feel coming to the Swamp. Now, going to Miami? I'm not trembling.
  13. 93KSig

93KSig Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    HGH. There is no college test for that right?
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,694
    Deer antler spray
  15. MiddleTNgator

MiddleTNgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +96
    This.
  16. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Please. How is this game any different than us going into FSU last year and manhandling them? Did they not want blood? This is just useless pregame hype at its best. Morrison is the only guy we will miss and hes not the difference between winning and losing.

If any game ever set up poorly for us it was aTm last year. That was their biggest game in their program's history in a long time. They were extremely pumped up (as was Brent Musburger for some reason), but yet Muschamp did was he does, draw up the defensive X's and O's to "come in here and disappoint all these people", in his words.

Personally I think the game sets up great for us. Noon start means no raucous crowd, even less students will make the trek to the stadium that early, and you know it will be half full of gator alumni.

[​IMG]

And "recruiting stakes" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If that was actually true FSU would haven't been able to recruit anyone for the past decade as we have been dominating them, but they've recruited just fine. I think the author of that quote in the OP is trying to sell tickets or something. Hype away...
  17. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    the U will be all pumped up--the game will be close early, but UF wears them down in the second half and wins by 13+---book it.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,694
    Nice. Basically a NFL camp scrimmage.
  19. pinecrestgator

pinecrestgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    No Elam, Evans, Bostic, Jenkins ,Floyd and Morrison for us. They return 19 starters, a QB heralded as 1st round draft selection, a freshman all-american RB, a veteran OL, very capable receivers, a few studs in the secondary(Deon Bush & Tracy Howard). Also we're probably unjustifiable favored. Very Different than going in an underdog at FSU.

Also, you can't compare how they their fans react when Bethune-Cookman comes into town to how they'll react when "the Gator" is in town. WE'RE THEIR BIGGEST GAME IN 10 Years!!!!! AM i the only on one this board who understands how much Miami despises us?

The parking lots are opening at 7am at the request of Miami fans and students. They will be ready to rip our heads off.

I know you guys hate hearing this but be ready for turbulent early afternoon.
  20. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    They will be much improved, but what they do well (pass the ball) we defend very well. We will be the best D they face all year. We should be able to pressure and mix it up on them to keep Morris off balance.

What they do poorly is what we do well. They can't stop the run and that is the one thing I know we will be able to do. Even if Jones is not 100%, Brown, Taylor & Burton, not to mention Driskel will combine for 300+ yards rushing. If Jeff throws more than 25 times I will be very surprised.

Gators 27 Miami 17, but Gators control the entire game and it is never in doubt.