Miami Central, Booker T Washington ranked preseason No. 1 in seperate polls

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gator996, Aug 9, 2013.

1. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/08/09/3550857/central-booker-t-ranked-nations.html

Miami Central, Booker T. Washington ranked nation’s preseason No. 1 in separate polls

It’s no secret Miami Central and Miami Booker T. Washington each have some of the nation’s best talent.

On Thursday, the debate began as to which was better.

Central found out early in the day that it will open the season ranked No. 1 nationally by Rivals.com, which released its Top 100 preseason poll. But later in the day, Booker T. found itself in the No. 1 spot in USA Today’s Super 25 preseason rankings.

The teams play each other Sept. 6.

In the Rivals.com poll, Central is joined in the top 10 by Booker T. (No. 4) and Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas (No. 9).

Central is also ranked No. 2 nationally by MaxPreps.com. The Rockets have won two state titles in the past three seasons and advanced to at least the state semifinals four consecutive seasons.

USA Today, however, has Central ranked No. 7 and St. Thomas ranked No. 11.

Fort Lauderdale University School is also ranked at No. 38 completing South Florida’s defending state champion quartet in the Rivals.com’s rankings.

Central is entering its first season under coach Roland Smith, who guided rival Miami Northwestern to a state title in 2006 — the last season he coached high school football before being hired this summer.

The Rockets return 10 starters on offense, including their whole offensive line and star running backs Dalvin Cook and Joe Yearby. They also have six starters back on defense.

Central opens the regular season Aug. 30 at Plantation American Heritage, which is considered a top contender in Class 5A. The Rockets then take on Booker T. in a huge showdown Sept. 6.

Central also travels to play Don Bosco Prep (N.J.), ranked No. 83 by Rivals.com, on Sept. 21. The Rockets also have tough district matchups against Northwestern, Carol City, Miami Norland and Homestead and finish the season with a showdown against University School the weekend of Nov. 8.

Booker T. opens the season Aug. 24 at Norcross (Ga.), a team ranked No. 5 in the poll. The Tornadoes follow that with Central and a game Oct. 4 at No. 18 Las Vegas Bishop Gorman.

St. Thomas Aquinas opens with Northwestern Aug. 31 at Sun Life Stadium and two weeks later plays consensus defending national champion John Curtis Christian (La.) Sept. 13 at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans.

In addition to their season-finale against Central, University School’s schedule begins with a nationally televised preseason game Aug. 25 against Homestead. The Suns later face Norland, defending Class 8A state runner-up Weston Cypress Bay, Lauderdale Lakes Boyd Anderson and have an Oct. 25 road date at Rivals.com’s No. 48 Bradenton Manatee.
  2. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Wow, look at that schedule for Central. That really gives Dalvin a chance to show how good he is.
  3. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +155
    Is there a reason why the So Fla. teams always play these national games away? Seems the other teams don't travel to So Fla. at all, that's an inherent disadvantage.
  4. GatorMasta

GatorMasta New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Cuz we the best bruh.Those out of state teams need every advantage they can get! With that said I'm pretty sure an out of state team came here and beat Manatee last year... lol..That's a rare exception though. Or maybe it was Plant that got beat? All I know is an out of state program (I think it was Don Bosco, NJ) came here and just barely beat a FLA team..That's the only case I can think of where a top FLA team didn't have to travel out of state.
  5. GatorMasta

GatorMasta New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    And we already know how good Dalvin is..I honestly hope Yearby gets all the carries so there's less a chance of injury for our next beast.. I'm so excited about landing DC..Man this kid is gonna be crazy,CRAZY good. His extra gear football speed is rare.
  6. gtj31

gtj31 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    I was wondering the same thing. It seems rather one-sided.
  7. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
    The home cooking officials is the biggest advantage these oos schools playing Florida schools at home get. Robbery. Just watch.
  8. GatorEst1992

GatorEst1992 Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Yea I remember a game Dwyer played a couple years ago against a team in Ohio, it was Jacoby brissetts senior year there and they were on the 1 yard line and got in the end zone threes time and the refs never gave it to them it was ridiculous
  9. bleedorangeblue

bleedorangeblue Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    I remember watching that game and was livid at those officials!

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  10. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    Yep I remember that game, that was the game where Nick O'leary flipped off all the refs after the game and was suspended for a bunch of games that yr. Out of state schools have to get all the help they can get.
  11. akaijenkins1

Ratings Received:
    +155
    Haha! Agreed boss, agreed, I played at Northwestern from '95 to '98, right before ESPN took a big interest in high school ball and all this travel play started.

Remember that Jacory Harris team traveling to Texas and beating some team that hadn't loss in like five years.

That report just seemed way lopsided
  12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    FYI that I heard the Booker T football coach on the radio last week and he spoke of taking his whole staff up to visit with Saban at Bama and Jimbo at FSU over the summer to pick up some S&C techniques, coaching techniques, playbook, .....

Bad news for Gators in that coaches are developing such strong relationships with Jimbo and Saban during summer.
  13. GatorEst1992

GatorEst1992 Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    That's nothing, dalvin has no interest in either one of those schools, I heard dalvin said he wasn't impressed with anything fisher said
  14. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +853
    Maybe bad news for the future, but as for Dalvin, he is all Gator.
  15. gatorsallday

gatorsallday Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    What does booker T have to do with dalvin?
  16. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +853
    Hah, good point. I'll blame 1992 since I piggybacked his post. :)
  17. lief_ericson

lief_ericson Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Central has a habit of losing to Georgia schools that go on to lose in the second round of the playoffs- 2010 Camden and (badly) 2012 Grayson. Both teams did win state the year BEFORE they took out Central so that's something I guess. It's been a while since Booker T. came up here and if I remember correctly it was supposed to be a bit of a down year for them but Northside (Warner Robins) smacked them around pretty hard in '09 too. I'm not sure these teams are the ambassadors for chest beating the South Florida crowd wants them to be. STA is, by far, the program down there that has earned the most respect on the field. They did beat that second round Camden team in 2010.
  18. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Florida talent is the best, but losing to a NJor Ohio team is a lot more embarrasing than losing to a Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama team.

I remember in 2006 the Gatornaughts traveled to Ohio and barely beat some Ohio power that had the refs on their side. If that 2006 Lakeland team did not have the worst QB I have ever seen they could have been the best HS team ever.
  19. GatorInSC

GatorInSC Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Wasnt bill castles son the qb of lakelands 06 team
  20. akaijenkins1

Ratings Received:
    +155
    I watched that 2012 Grayson game and there was no way Central was going to win that game but the officiating was also TERRIBLE.

I asked the question about the travel because growing up a few blocks from all these schools, I know for a fact that of the starting 22 maybe two or three kids have ever been out of the state of Florida, let alone on a plane. And if they take the bus, good lord the havoc that must play on a body.

Case in point: the Central team that demolished Gainesville in the Championship is not the team that played Grayson. Not even close.

And keeping class involved, it's funny you mentioned STA, a private, Roman Catholic, college-preparatory that basically is a JUCO, tons of money, I'm sure the travel is easier on them than anyone else.