Met Adarious Lemons' Brother

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by your_perfect_enemy, Feb 12, 2018.

1. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +6,366
    I was moving this weekend and had some movers help me. One of them saw all my Gator stuff in the garage and asked if I was a fan and said his little brother played on the team. I asked who and he said Adarious Lemons. We got to talking a bit about the coaching change, he said they're able to workout any time they want to now (apparently they were restricted to certain hours for some reason) and said that Mullen is tough on them and really follows up regarding academics and making sure they're doing the right things. Could definitely read between the lines in regards to comparison of the last staff. He also mentioned he really hoped to get Malik Davis back soon, which I thought was cool in that he's direct competition to his brother but still rooting for him. Which you expect he would since they're all Gators, but nice to hear.

Any how nothing ground breaking but more confirmation of a lot of what we've heard and figured I'd pass it along.
    • Like x 28
    • Winner x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +13,622
    They were restricted to certain work out times? Wow. Never heard of that unless its a control freak S&C coach.

That's what all the team trainers are for after all.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. bposs

bposs All American

Ratings Received:
    +2,626
    Old strength coached probably restricted work outs so he could keep up with his true passion, drag racing.
    • Informative Informative x 3
  4. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,311
    I keep saying everything about this hire is positive.

Some on here think I am all into pumping "Sunshine" but you do the math. We have not had this attitude since......Oh, I remember, since Mullen was here:cool:
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 12:17 PM
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +13,622
    Back a couple weeks before the UGA game last season, I shared what my sources at the UAA told me about Mac probably being on the way out, I also pointed out that the boosters and UAA knew Mac had hired a "Good Ole Boys Club" of coaching pals and buddies to work for him. Kent was one of them, and he and Nuss and Nord basically ran the team, answering only to Mac. As we all found out, Mac didn't give much of a crap about what was going on, as he was basically a recluse from the University meetings and any funcions he could avoid. He avoided the boosters any time he could.

Mac had a lot of personal issues we never saw in public until that last season, when he started presenting himself as constantly confused and unconnected to what was going on around him. He was medicated, I can tell you that.

The point I'm making is that Mac's bizarre behavior led to bizarre decisions too, like hiring incompetent assistants, like Kent. I think we all got tired of the constant injuries and our team being physically pushed around by elite teams.

But this story about the restricted workouts just blows my mind. How can kent, as then - S&C coach, tell the kids the can only work out at certain time and literally interfere with their physical development? It's mind-boggling. I realize all the "inside intel" at UF about Mac & Co. has been closed up for good, but I'd really like to know Kent's reasoning for this tactic.
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorlaxn

gatorlaxn GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,684
    As in Rupaul drag racing?
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,251
    Bro, there's a ton of questions I'd like to get answers to! The one issue I have w/ the whole thing is the contract extensions and raises last year around this time. WTF? There is NO WAY the UAA didn't know what was going on (inside the program) and they gave raises and extensions? Nord had no business being hired from the get-go. I can see Nussmeir because of his resume, but after the first two years of 100+ ranked offenses and no improvements....he gets a raise and extension!?! Huh? I had never heard of Kent when he got hired, but that's usually behind the scenes stuff. Most S&C coaches are cut from similar molds and use similar techniques....some have more energy, are more "fiery", are more power centric vs. agility, etc. But what in the h*ll was Kent doing?? Lots of questions....few answers.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. jump_pass

jump_pass Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,336
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. igabradley

igabradley GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,659
    sorts 'splains why so many were using private trainers.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,943
    Mac sucked in so many ways.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
  11. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Thanks for the inside "stuff." Sadly it all makes sense - looking back on things. I'm so glad that crowd is gone.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +11,840
    What in hell was Foley thinking if this was common knowledge in the UAA???

This defies explanation
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,251
    Foley and Company (the UAA staff) have been around through Spurrier, Zook, Meyer, and Muschamp. They've seen several S&C coaches come through there. I've heard it was "common knowledge" within the UAA that the S&C program was a sh*t-show. Stricklin apparently knew it was as well (and he gets the credit for the extensions/raises....which I think were already in the works before he took over). Anyhow, that's one of the biggest head scratchers for me. As Gray mentioned, the UAA knew McElwain hired all of his buddies....and let him keep those guys around. Like I said before, I understand the Nussmeir hire - he had a legitimate resume (even though his last few offenses at Alabama and Michigan weren't very impressive). But Nord? Then they kept him on....AND gave him a raise and extension??
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,077
    You say that like it's a bad thing! o_O

[​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,360
    I met a former HS coach of Luke Ancrums today. Said he was asking him about the differences between the coaches. He said LA said he'd never been so tired in his whole life, that the players compete for everything, literally everything is a competition. Especially grades. If they lose they have to run or pushups, etc.

We're going to see a totally different Gator team next year, ladies and gentleman!
    • Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,916
    Sadly, in large, older organizations I believe this is the norm WAY more often than is broadly appreciated. I often consult for large companies and many times have seen CEOs just downright not giving a crap as they benefit themselves. Companies losing money hand over fist and the CEO takes the corporate jet home or to golf and throws corporate events (read parties). The board takes their options/shares/pay and looks the other way. Nobody wants to say the king has no clothes b/c they will not get invited onto other boards and it is virtually impossible to get sued successfully for failure to perform your duty as a board member (just about must be willfully ignorant). Same happened with GE (not personally involved there but have a friend involved). People talk about corporate execs "earning" their bonuses but as often as not, from my perspective, they earn it like Mac (or WM) earned his......

UAA sounds like it has a lot of the "old boy" BS in it where innovation, disruption and calling out inefficiency are not rewarded.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +11,840
    You just described the corporation I'm getting ready to retire from. And it isn't GE. And it's infuriating.

As for Foley, it's a little more difficult to swallow. UF athletics excelled under his leadership. . . . . except for football. . . . . except for 2005-2009. . . . . very difficult to make sense of.

I'm not ready to give Foley credit for Spurrier because even though some here will praise Foley for keeping him around back in 1995, others (me included) hold him partly responsible for SOS leaving in 2001 after Dockett-gate (p.s. it wasn't because he was jonesing to move to DC and coach the freaking Redskins). And more to the point, hiring Zook, and the back-to-back hires of Muschamp and Mac really make you question his priorities: budget vs. a winning football program. And since football pays for damn near every other sport that Foley was responsible for. . . . . very little of this makes any sense.

I get the impression that Scott Stricklin cares more about re-establishing a winning football program than Foley did, and I'm damn glad we're under his leadership now.

Go Gators
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  18. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,251
    I'm not sure if the UAA is a 'good ole boy' system as much as it's an issue of arrogance (such as, "...we're not getting into an arms race." - meanwhile our facilities fell way behind our rivals). I was a part of the Gator Club network (past president) and attended several events hosted by the UAA/Gator Club network and the inside joke was that they referred to the UAA as "the firm". When Meyer was at UF and we were winning big, they treated season ticket holders w/ little respect. Now they're begging people to buy tickets.

The "word" was that Foley told McElwain to make some coaching changes....and McElwain cut Summers loose, as he had no connection to Summers prior to UF. But he kept the two worst coaches on the staff (at least from a performance stand point: ST's (Nord) and Offense (Nussmeier)). Maybe Foley knew he was on his way out and didn't care? I don't know. But he should have stood his ground and said, "You need to replace the OC and ST's coaches."

It's all water under the bridge, but the whole situation dug the hole that Mullen has to climb out of even deeper.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. themistocles

themistocles GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,513
    Very interesting, thanks a lot enemy & Gray.

If you look at it, hiring Mac was a lot like hiring Frost, another one with no long-term record to support the hire.

Not that Frost won't kill it in the Big Nothing, given the Nebraska historic tradition, but Mac had that too, and managed to blow it.

Nice to hear almost completely positive things about Mullen, but, of course, that's what one always hears from the faithful, even when their fearless leader spends too much time with a recently acquired African slave girl causing his other wives to protest against this (from either of the two Earliest Histories of Mohammad - note that the 2nd was somewhat redacted, with much of the most incriminating stuff removed, and a lot of miraculous fluff added that Thomas Jefferson removed from the Christian Gospels in his carefully written version - UU Church Version is good).
  20. FatherGoat

FatherGoat Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +637
    "He was medicated, I can tell you that."

Xannie the nannie strikes again...I always thought he was on dope or dog food.
    • Funny Funny x 1