(Merged) NBA Eastern Conference Finals Cleveland Cavaliers v. Boston Celtics Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by harnettgator, May 13, 2018.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,930
    Not a ton of NBA Big Men that play 10+ years and are effective. He is a GREAT NBA Center.

Pau and Marc Gasol are a couple of others who are still playing and playing well, but the rest of the big men are young and very injury prone.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,445
    When I watch the Cavs play, I always focus on James when he is on defense.

He doesn't even seem to try. It's embarrassing. His teammates can't like it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,181
    I also tend to focus on James on the defensive end just to see where his mind is at. It's not that I'm looking for something to criticize but it's obvious that he's unwilling to sacrifice energy on the defensive end much like James Harden. Which is fine if your teammates can play defense, but the problem is that Cleveland has too many offensively gifted players and hardly any defensive stoppers. Jordan could afford to slack off on defense (which he didn't) because he had Pippen and Ron Harper, two of the best perimeter defenders in the league at the time. Cleveland instead got perimeter shooters because Lebron loves his triple doubles. Boston is going to continue getting their way offensively because Cleveland can't keep up with their youth. If Cleveland loses the series it will be because their roster was handpicked by Lebron.
  4. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,263
    Great Game 1 by Al Horford!!!

From a brief article about Horford. . . . . . .
    Celtics' Al Horford: Leads C's to big Game 1 win

"Horford delivered 20 points (8-10 FG, 2-4 3Pt, 2-3 FT), six assists, four rebounds and two blocks across 27 minutes in Sunday's 108-83 ECF Game 1 home win over Cleveland.

"Horford's efficient shooting and crisp passing led a Celtics team that dominated Game 1. Coach Brad Stevens' game plan included isolating Big Al against Kevin Love down in the post, and the results were fantastic."

Comments by Celtics Coach Brad Stevens. . . . . . .
    Al Horford plays large role in Celtics’ Game 1 win over Cavaliers

“It was really good, both ends of the floor,” said Celtics head coach Brad Stevens. “He covered for us defensively. He did a great job when he switched and he did a great job when he was in help.

“He’s our rock. He’s the guy we really lean on.”
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,666
    Either him or Neal Walk. Both were awesome Gators.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,492
    Watching GS take game 1 in Houston. I will be stunned if the east winner can beat GS. Way Too many offensive weapons.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. cincinnatigator

Ratings Received:
    +3,181
    Warriors are 7 wins away from having another the title. It’s just silly how much better they are than the other 3 teams. But I actually think Boston would play them the toughest.
  8. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,724
    Because Durant is a and took the easy path out and the nba is now predetermined as a result. I don’t know why people even pay for tickets and go when the champion is known from the jump.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. harnettgator

harnettgator Gator Girl, Exiled to Harnett County, NC Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,846
    They’re pretty great on the defensive end as well. I sometimes forget Steph’s ability to grab steals and the team’s ability to force shot clock violations. Impressive Game #1 for the Ws.
  10. cincinnatigator

Ratings Received:
    +3,181
    Kinda like how Lebron took the easy path to Miami?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +4,930
    Could have won another one or lost another one. Aside from Green, I pretty much like all of their guys so it doesn't bother me. I think the 76'ers and Celtics have a chance in the next couple of years to possibly make a run at the Warriors.
  12. Allanon

Allanon VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,084
    The only thing with that is Miami did not just win 73 games nor did Lebron just blow a 3-1 lead to the rival he ran too.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. cincinnatigator

Ratings Received:
    +3,181
    Thus the “kinda like” that I opened with. It’s not the exact same but both moves were unquestionably the easy path.
  14. Allanon

Allanon VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,084
    I can go with that.
  15. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +4,930
    Not sure why Durant gets as much heat as he does. It does seem like he took an easier path to the title, but it's not as though he didn't spend enough time trying beforehand. They still aren't guaranteed anything. If anything, he was smart enough to realize that he wasn't going to win in OKC. It's a business. I feel badly for the OKC fans and Billy, but I don't think he deserves the hatred he gets.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,476
    Stop.....Al Horford is a future HOFer. Walk was a nice NBA player (more in the Mike Miller category of Gators) and an even better man. But Al is a guy who can dominate a game and not just through scoring. A 5x all star and all nba player and a consummate winner. I believe his teams have made the playoffs every single year he has been in the NBA.

The only thing I find frustrating about Al is that too often he plays too subservient to a team game when he should dominate.

But there really is not one weakness in his game on either side of the ball. He is one of the most versatile players in the NBA. Can't understand how he hasn't made an all-defensive team somewhere along the way.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. harnettgator

Ratings Received:
    +6,846
    Welp, I won't attempt to speak for anyone but myself, but I'll try to explain some of my own heat or frustration with KD.

First, I think Durant is a great player. He was unquestionably the best player on the court during last season's Finals (I mention that even as I'm engaged in a semi-heated debate over on FCP in which I referred to LBJ as "the greatest player of his generation"). Last year, Durant was dominated during the post-season, and he's a lot of fun to watch, especially on the offensive end. He makes some shots that are just unbelievable!

But I can't sit here and say I like Durant personally. In terms of heat or criticism, I didn't much care for him only notifying Westbrook of his plans by text. But I decided it was prolly no biggie, given their ages and preferred communication styles. I was sad to see him leave OKC and Billy lose out on a potential weapon, but I was cool with it....until that whole private Twitter account story broke. I had a problem with that and didn't like the comments re Billy or the manner in which the comments came out. That's JMO though.

BTW - if it's a Ws v. Cavs Final (again :rolleyes:), I'll still cheer for the Warriors bc I like Curry, Thompson, and even (Lawd help me) Draymond and because the team as a whole is so much fun to watch. Durant is a great player, but that Twitter stuff really bugged me. YMMV.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. harnettgator

Ratings Received:
    +6,846
    Cleveland Cavaliers (50-32, 21-20 away) at Boston Celtics (55-27, 27-14 home)
    ESPN ~ Watch ESPN ~ ESPN GameCast

Boston leads the series 1-0 after winning 108-83 in Game #1 at home
    Sports Illustrated's The Crossover Crew: The Celtics Are Built to Harass LeBron James
    [​IMG]
    BOSTON — Almost exactly a year ago, LeBron James went into Boston and finished with 38 points, nine rebounds and seven assists in an easy 13-point Game 1 win. He was modest afterward, which made the whole performance even more disrespectful. He told TNT's Kristen Ledlow that it was a "feel-out game" after 10 days of rest for he and the Cavs. He promised her he'd be better in Game 2. At the podium LeBron added, "I don’t even think we played that great tonight. We definitely didn’t shoot the ball as well as we’re capable of shooting."

And look, to LeBron's credit, he wasn't lying about any of this. The Cavs won Game 2 by 44 points two days later.

But that script was flipped Sunday. After the Cavs stormed through East and right back to Boston, the Celtics scored 17 unanswered points to break the game open in the first quarter. LeBron never found a rhythm. Neither did Cleveland's shooters. James finished with 15 points and seven turnovers, while the Cavs went 4–26 from three-point range. Boston was up 28 points when Ty Lue waived the white flag on Cleveland's 108–83 loss and his starters checked out of the game in the fourth quarter...
    Read more here.

ESPN Preview: Cavs Aiming to Be Better in Game 2 v. Celtics
    BOSTON -- LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers know they have to be better in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals on Tuesday night at TD Garden.

The Boston Celtics appear ready for just that.

"I thought our guys played with a good aggression tonight. Going to have to play better Tuesday," Celtics coach Brad Stevens said after the 108-83 rout in the series opener -- a game blown open in the first quarter.

"I have zero level of concern at this stage," James said after the Celtics blew the Cavs out in the opening game -- a rare poor playoff outing for James. "I didn't go to college, so it's not March Madness." Read more here.

-+-+-+-+-+-

A Whole Lotta Al!
    In case you missed Game #1 in this series, Gator Great Al Horford lit it up! Here are a few clips of the big man during and after Game #1 and one of my fav moments from his time in Orange & Blue. I'm also posting Al's season stats below.

[​IMG]
    A quick hint for anyone planning on participating in our upcoming NBN Gator Fantasy Draft, you prolly wanna start paying attention to former Gators' NBA stats while prepping for the draft next month. Al's career stats as noted from Basketball-Reference.com. Linky here.
    [​IMG]
    Let the Nuttin' But Net NBA Playoff conversation continue here.....​
    • Like Like x 2
  19. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +4,930
    I can understand the heat regarding his spat with Westbrook. I think it was a bad look for him. Him trying to be the villain was a bad look also (same as when LeBron tried it).

I was mostly talking about the heat for him signing with the Warriors.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,476

I can understand and agree with Durant's frustration in how BD basically deferred to Westbrook