1. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    Anyone know where the new guy Brej came from and what his background is? Suddenly on the roster and played decent this past weekend.
    Also wondering why Hidalgo has yet to take the court? Perhaps isn't eligible until January?

Great job by Lippman and Orkin so far....this roster may not have a classic dominate player at the top of the order but is going to be insanely deep. The number of options for the 3-6 spot are going to be fun to watch.
  2. ssgator80

ssgator80 Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    My understanding is Hidalgo is not eligible till January. I saw on another forum a comment about Brej.

"Richard Brej. He transferred from the Savannah College of Art & Design Atlanta (wouldn't have guessed they had tennis). Looked like he was a 3-star coming out of HS 3 years ago in Illinois and only played 1 year at SCAD with average results. Kind of an odd pick up for Shelton."

Shelton had a comment about Josh Wardell at Gatorzone. He said he was battling injuries and trying to get 100% healthy. Shelton said he was the best ball striker on the team. The sound from his racquet sounds like the pro's.

I have seen Josh play and he is a solid athlete. Hope he gets healthy.
  3. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    Watch Bryan's latest press conference on Gatorzone for more info on Brej. In short, walk-on transfer from SFC who's not really expected to contribute significantly, at least immediately.

Cautiously excited about what this team can do in the Spring when Hidalgo and Newman are eligible. Kind of a strange team with probably 8 guys who could be very successful in the 3-5 spots in the lineup. So it will probably be another year of a lot of 4-3 scorelines, but I expect the team to win more of those with a good chance to contend for the SEC title. The national title is probably still a ways out of reach with loaded teams like UVA, USC, UCLA, etc.
  4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    Yeah, the depth is unlike any I can recall. The biggest question in my mind is where Hidalgo fits in...and I really don't have a clue on that. Newman to me seems to be right the with the other 7-8 guys that would all be really good #3 types.
  5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    doubles could be a key. I would imagine w/ the depth, we should be good at putting together a few good combos? are they searching for the right pair? how do they form the pairs? coach's decision or players getting together?
  6. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Certainly coaching decision but if two guys tell the coach they like playing together, I would hope that would at least be taken into consideration.

How does the team stack up against the SEC and Nationally. Are we at the point of being top 8 nationally and having a chance to break through to the top 4?
  7. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    I think top 8 is exactly how I would describe the team....but lacking a true stud at the top keeps them out of the top 4. Doubles point will be important, and with so many options it will likely take a while to sort out.
    Definitely can and should challenge for the SEC
  8. ssgator80

ssgator80 Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
  9. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    This is so important in men's tennis with only 4.5 scholarships and one of the huge recruiting advantages we should have over many non-FL/CA schools. That said, this must be a shockingly weak year in FL if the #3 player in FL is only ranked #29 nationally. We're still missing that impact #1 player but I remain optimistic that Shelton will do with this group.

If all 3 actually arrive as planned, this is arguably Roland's best class ever (rivaling Embree/Will). There is still a long time between now and next August and Austin especially is liable to turn pro if she has some exceptional results between now and then.
  10. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    Have not visited this forum for a while, so did not see your question on Brej. He asked about our program two years ago, when he started at Sante Fe Community College. He has been in Gainesville for three years now. He was asked by Coach Shelton to join the practices as a walk on. Think of Jacob Kurtz with the basketball team. Similar situation, and he has been a great hitting partner at practice. Was rewarded for his work this fall by being taken to a couple of fall individual tournaments. As stated, Diego Hidalgo is not eligible to compete for Florida until January. Due to his transfer last year, the same applies to Spencer Newman. Of the three student athletes recently signed, Oliver Landert will enroll in January but redshirt this season. The other two signees, Jordan Belga and Chase Perez-Blanco, will enroll next August. The coaching staff is still recruiting for January so stay tuned on that front.
  11. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    Good stuff coach.....any thoughts on where Hidalgo looks to play on the ladder. That seems to be the wild card in my mind.
    Would sure love to see us land a pure #1 guy, that just seems to be the missing piece of the puzzle....of course there are not many of those guys out there
  12. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    I understand your statement about a number one guy. All I can tell you is that we would all like to add one more player at the top of our lineup. Hopefully something good will happen soon on that end. But it is tough to find players that automatically fit at the top of your lineup. Most develop into number ones once they get to college, unless they are exceptional. It is hard to say where Hidalgo will contribute on this years team at this time. He misses some fall practice time due to injury, and Spencer Newman is just now ready to play after rehabbing his shoulder during the fall. Both I hope will be available and ready to go when the team resumes practice in January. The team will be deep and unlike last season, many can and will contribute in the spring.
  13. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    Thanks, will cross my fingers on a possible addition.
    Definitely looks to be as deep a team as I can ever recall at UF. Just feels like they have about 8 guys that could all play #3....so bottom of the ladder and doubles should be very strong all season.