Men's Tennis conference preseason rankings

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by hocgators, Jan 16, 2014.

1. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
  2. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,108
    Seemed to play well in doubles this weekend...mixed results in singles. Looks like what was anticipated, a whole bunch of guys that can play middle of the lineup but nobody really at the level of top notch 1-2 singles players. Can still win a lot of matches that way, but probably can't beat the truly elite teams. Top 8 would be a nice year, and a step up from that 16 range they have been stuck at for a while.
    Diep doesn't seem to be playing well, which is disappointing. And Hidalgo seems solid, but not the elite guy that brings anything new to the table.
    Will add that this is based purely on results...not actually watching any matches yet, so scores could have been misleading
  3. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,108
    Beat UNF today 5-2....a win is a win, but not a very good showing to be honest. Lost doubles point, which really is problematic on a team that has to win that point to win close matches.
    Shocked at the lineup...Watson and Newman played at the top, Orkin and Piro in the middle, with vets Diep and Alford at 5 and 6. Diep has really fallen off, although he did win all matches today.
    Had high hopes for Hidalgo, but he didn't play doubles or singles. Will be interesting to see i the lineup gets juggled much as they move forward.
  4. allanhovey

allanhovey Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +226
    Doubles are played to 6 points now?
  5. ssgator80

ssgator80 Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Yes - I was also surprised that Hidalgo did not play. Yes - doubles is now a one set match to six games with a tiebreaker at 5-5. This is part of experimental rules changes by the ITA to speed up matches.
  6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,108
    Hate these new scoring formats...and I'm betting the players hate them as well. I never even liked pro sets for doubles, much less cutting the match down even more.
  7. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    I honestly think it's pretty embarrassing for college tennis as a sport to look at the results and see scores like 6-5. Shorter or not, I can't say I'm particularly interested in watching that type of ridiculousness.

Not sure what to make of the result against UNF - it could be a bit discouraging but I'll be curious to see how different the lineups look this weekend.
  8. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    Below is the lineup we submitted for kickoff weekend - Hidalgo at #2. Guessing we'll see a lot of rotation to get all of the guys some playing time early in the season.

Univ. of Florida
    Coach: Bryan Shelton
    #1 Spencer Newman (F: 0-0; O: 3-0)
    #2 Diego Hidalgo (F: 0-0; O: 1-2)
    #3 Stephane Piro (F: 7-6; O: 8-6)
    #4 Gordon Watson (F: 10-3; O: 12-4)
    #5 Elliott Orkin (F: 13-4; O: 14-6)
    #6 Florent Diep (F: 12-8; O: 14-9)
    #7 Maxx Lipman (F: 8-3; O: 10-4)
    #8 Mike Alford (F: 9-5; O: 10-7)

Doubles
    #1 Alford/Piro (F: 3-1; O: 6-1)
    #2 Watson/Lipman (F: 0-0; O: 1-0)
    #3 Newman/Hidalgo (F: 0-0; O: 2-1)
    #4 Orkin/Diep (F: 0-0; O: 0-1)
  9. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    There will be plenty of changes in lineup, early in the season. There may be changes in the lineup submitted for this weekend. The lineup is fluid at this point, but it will become clearer as we play more pre conference matches.
  10. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,108
    Brutal test this weekend, on the road at USC and UCLA...both are top 4 programs. Don't expect a win n either match, but will be interesting to see how the matches unfold and if UF is competitive on the lower courts and in doubles