Men and the weight-gain obsession

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    I think it's fair to say that weight-loss is primarily a female obsession, but I see the reverse phenomenon, in young guys especially, in the quest to be bigger.

And the fitness industry is happy to enable the compulsion. Rippetoe is highly-respected in the industry, I'd go so far as to say revered. Of course he's popularized the GOMAD Diet. That's: Gallon Of Milk A Day.

Check out his before and after pics and you see him turning gangly adolescents into hulking (but now fat) adolescents.

Rippetoe, a bit chubby himself, is fairly glib about the transformation. After all, "you can always lose weight later."

But consider this: now the young male is doubly-bedeviled. Let's be honest, just as the young woman will never be thin enough, the young man will never be big enough. BUT NOW an additional compulsion has been cultivated: weight-loss anxiety WHERE IT DID NOT EXIST BEFORE.

Thanks!
  2. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Funny, on occasion I meet even mature guys who tell me, in effect, "Look, my goals are modest. I just want to have big muscles and six-pack abs."

I'm serious. It's not far removed from that. I may have mention the last "weight-loss" client I had. He was a 57-year old male whose presenting concern was health, secondarily to grow muscle, but who eventually got around to asking me, "Do you think I could get a six-pack ?"

My answer: "Absolutely. All you have to do is lose about a foot off your waist and endure untold misery."
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    When I was in high school and played football I drank a gallon of milk a day.
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    You should sue Rippetoe. I think he thinks it was his idea.
  5. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    :laugh::laugh:

Yeah, I had him beat by a few years. But what's really interesting is the way I worked-out, I didn't know it at the time but I did exactly what a famous bodybuilder (Vince Gironda) did in his famous workouts.. Only I did a combo workout geared more for power and strength than bodybuilding.

I was strong as an ox and quick as a cat because of it.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,528
    GOMAD was actually pretty popular in the mid 70s among bodybuilders.

You can't blame Rippetoe. These guys who everyone knows are great self-promoters, and there's really nothing novel about fitness.
  7. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    I hear it's pretty popular with young cows too. Seems to work for them.
  8. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    GOMAD? That sounds like some psychotropic drug. :laugh:
  9. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +265
    I did Starting Strength for about 8 months. Never did GOMAD, but I did eat big...well before I worked up to lifting big. Eating big resulted in the biggest bounce I've had during my weight loss journey. I went from 210 back up to 240. I'm sure I gained some muscle, but also plenty of fat returned (as expected). I realized I don't want huge muscles or to look like a powerlifter so I backed off and lost the weight again. I now do 5/3/1 and add kettlebells as assistance exercises.

I support anyone's fitness goals even if it's to get all swole and ripped. However, the ill-conceived notion that you can pack on muscle AND get stronger AND lose fat all at the same time is something that just makes me shake my head.
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Some people may be able to pack on muscle through force-feeding. Not me. If I gain ten pounds, about nine of it goes on around my waist.

IMO, this is a great strategy if all you want to do is appear 'shirt big.'

Just remember not to take off your shirt.
  11. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    I never gained a pound doing it.... I did it for the taste nutritional value.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    You sound like me.
  13. keefer

keefer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,722
    Dream, I am 50 yrs old and just getting back into the gym for the first time in 8 yrs. I am 6'1" and currently weigh 215. I have lost 8 lbs in 15 days by eating less and eating better along with exercising. I wear a size 36 in jeans. My goal is to get to 205 and a 33. I've never been into much heavy lifting or any supplements, although I could legally BP 350 when I was 40. Is there a site you would recommend for me for a lifting/cardio workout?
  14. UFNut

UFNut Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Dream may not be the right person to ask....nowadays he may tell you don't worry about exercise, if you want to lose weight just eat less but only do it if you want to die earlier and increase your chances of getting diabetes and heart disease. Oh, and you will gain it back because your body will scheme against you and force you to eat your way back to your "natural" weight.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. keefer

keefer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,722
    Gotta move the steel man. I miss it too much.
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    UFNut nicely summed up my new approach (he probably thought he was being cute, but he pretty much nailed it).

But since you like to lift, but nothing really hardcore, my old standby is what I call the 25:50 template. Simply choose an upper body pushing movement, an upper body pulling movement and a squatting variation.

Select a resistance that allows, oh, around ten proper reps. Perform unhurried circuits until you've amassed 25 reps for each movement. Add five reps the next week, and so on until you reach 50 reps. Take a week off. You've earned it.

You could bookend your week by performing the workout on, say, Monday and Friday. As your conditioning improves you can pick up the pace. The circuit format will suffice for cardio. Kill two birds with one stone.

Don't forget that walking is a vastly underrated activity.
  17. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +628
    It's definitely possible.

I about double my caloric intake if I run for 20 minutes and lift heavy weights 4 days a week. I litterally eat 4 times a day on the days I work out until I feel like I am going to pop, then I'm starving again 2 hours later. If I didn't eat like that while working out regularly, I'd probably faint every day.

I can gain a couple pounds in a month of pure muscle and maybe shed the 1/2# of fat I have to spare if when I dedicate myself to it.

I gain mass, strength, and even slim down my waist and get much more defined abs. (I have to be losing weight. According to Dream, and this is no smartass comment, you can only see defined abs if you lose weight)

The trick, you see, is to be born with an EXTREMELY HIGH metabolic rate. High enough to the point that I think I should be some kind of scientific study.

I'm the guy who goes on a cruise and eats and drinks all week and walks off the ship 3 pounds lighter. If I don't continually workout with heavy weight, build muscle or at least maintian what I have, I shrink. muscle, fat, everything. People have told me for 15 yrs it will end, but I'm 37 and I don't see any sign of it.

You're right, though, the other 99% of people are screwed. :nervous smile:
  18. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    And I see where you warned others my eating habits are 'F'd up' and that I was not to be listened to.
  19. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +628
    Yeah, so? Your eating habits are strange to say the least. Binging and fasting isn't normal. And I think that should be taken into consideration by others when being lecturing about eating habits and health. And fwiw, I never said to ignore you, but that its hard to take your opinion seriously.

Point is, I'm not advising anyone what I'm doing is right. I'm not trained in health and fitness. I'm just saying its possible to gain strength, muscle, and lose fat.
  20. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    What's your max bench right now?