Melo to the Heat?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by FakeRickSutcliffe, Jun 14, 2014.

1. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    I thought the idea was crazy when I first heard it.

But we now know two things, from reliable sources: Carmelo Anthony does intend to opt out of his contract and explore free agency, and the Miami Heat do intend to pursue him when he does.

Oh, and one more thing: Can't speak for Bosh or Wade, but LeBron James' salary concerns will probably not stand in the way of doing a deal for Melo. LeBron may be willing to take a pay cut. Reason being, some of his off-court investments have proven so successful that his business earnings have eclipsed any salary the Heat can pay him.

Just one quick example: Back in 2008 LBJ shrewdly acquired a little chunk of Dr. Dre's Beats Audio company in exchange for signing on as its first major celebrity endorser. Two weeks ago when Beats Audio was sold to Apple for $3 billion, LeBron personally netted THIRTY MILLION DOLLARS out of the sale.

"Netted." Get it? ;):p

Anyway, Melo taking his talents to South Beach is still very far from a done deal but it's starting to look like more and more of a possibility.

So, your thoughts?

I am a Heat fan (since Rory Sparrow's first basket) so I should think mine go without saying. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  2. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +746
    Meh, won't help. They don't need more offense. They need more defense. And Wade is done. They'd be stupid to give him another big contract if he opts out of this one.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. FakeRickSutcliffe

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Adding Carmelo Anthony to a team "won't help." Yeah okay. :rolleyes:

I don't deny the pressing need for defense but that's a patently absurd comment. The Heat's troubles lately are not limited to the defensive end of the court, so if nothing else, more offense may somewhat mitigate the necessity of playing better defense.

"Pressing need" for defense. Two for two on puns in this thread. :p
  4. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +746
    Won't help in the sense of bringing them a title. If you added Melo to this team right now, I still don't think they could win this series. They'd be a better team, but still not good enough.

Carmelo is 30. Lebron and Bosh are 29. Wade is 32. They need fresher legs on this team not another guy that's going to swallow up possessions.
  5. FakeRickSutcliffe

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Well you didn't have to go too far out on a limb to say it would be too late for Carmelo to help them in this series. The Spurs have two chances to win one game at home so Bill freakin' Russell in his prime couldn't pull the Heat out of this fire.

But give it a full season of Carmelo on the roster, probably with the addition of a new point guard and some fresher, younger role players as well, and come playoff team next year you will most likely be looking at a better Heat team than you're seeing now.

Furthermore even though Melo has never shown much of a proclivity for being a dominating defender (to put it mildly), given his overall athletic ability I'm not convinced that he can't play better defense in the right circumstances.

Like for example, if he didn't have to focus his game on being the #1 scoring option all the time. Or if he played for a Pat Riley...er, um I mean Erik Spoelstra team where aggressive defense is emphasized and demanded.

* I don't think "pulling the Heat out of the fire" qualifies as any kind of a pun but I gave it a shot. Like the Heat...two in a row but came up short this time. :(
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  6. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,234
    Fresher legs? Like Tim Duncan's? ;)
  7. FakeRickSutcliffe

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Now there's reports that Melo is considering joining the Bulls. :eek::confused:

If that happens and the Heat don't match with a major personnel move, then the new worry is not besting the likes of the Spurs or Thunder in the Finals but rather getting out of the East.
  8. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +746
    Fresher legs to chase around the ball that's moving so fast. Miami used to be able to do it.

They need a new PG and fresher, younger role players. How are they going to add them when they're paying 4 guys close to max money?

They need to bring in some young talent, cut Wade's contract way down and focus on building around Bosh and James.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. FakeRickSutcliffe

Ratings Received:
    +393
    "The ball that's moving so fast," meaning the Spurs. All your posts seem predicated on the premise that the Spurs are going to be vacuum-packed after these Finals and re-opened next year at playoff time with all their freshness intact. I don't necessarily buy that. They are no more immune than the Heat to aging or for that matter to collectively developing a jaded feeling of ennui either.
  10. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +280
    I would be very surprised to see Carmelo go to the Heat. He just isn't the type of guy who would be comfortable being a #2. It would be a good short term move because having another great scorer would take some pressure off Lebron but I think it would be a disaster down the road.

If I'm Riley, I don't go for a quick fix. Lebron still has another 4-5 years of peak performance. I would ship Bosh and Wade and rebuild my roster around him.
  11. FakeRickSutcliffe

Ratings Received:
    +393
    I hear you but they said the same thing about Wade and even Bosh when the Big Three came together - how will they adjust to not being the number one guy? And the answer was: Four straight Finals appearances.

Ira Winderman says Melo is enamored with the idea of playing with LeBron. But with that said, others are now reporting that the Bulls or the Rockets might be more to his liking.

We shall see. Melo or no Melo I have no doubt in my mind that Pat Riley has some major moves in store for us.
  12. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    All four of those guys would have to take something like $8 million less a year of what they're scheduled to make next year on their current deals which is before the raises they could get on their next deal. Also udonis would have to opt out of a contract that pays him more next year than he would probably be able to get for three years on the open market. Between that and there only being one ball to go around I just don't see it happening.
  13. FakeRickSutcliffe

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Grrrrrrrrr!!! :mad:

Why did I even start this thread? :oops:

You're probably right. :(

But a dude can dream, can't he? :)
  14. yellowboy90

yellowboy90 Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    I think Melo now gets a bad wrap for his defense. He is a good defender now but like most 1st scoring option they have plays sprinkle throughout the game where they do not give full effort.

However if you look at his synergy stats last year they were comparable to Lebron's(I think Better) and his post defense over the past few years have been top notch. Even in Denver during the playoffs he would take on the teams top scorer at times late during games to shut them down. He has the make up to be a top defender and with Lebron/Riley/Spoelstra there I doubt you would see the lapse's.

With the way the Heat switch and trap they would get an athletic wing that can get out and cover 1-5. I wouldn't use him to guard points or 5 but on switches he can hold his on because of his wide body and quick feet. The addition would also add a high volume sniper from 3 who would like be guarded by the teams 4. That's not good.

I don't think it will happen though. The only way it is a possibility is if they trade Bosh to Phx or someone like that. Another interesting thing is Bosh rebounding numbers are going down while Anthony rebounding has been going up.
  15. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +711
    The numbers work out to them all having to take 14.5 million if they are to be paid equally. Certainly leaving a lot of money on the table but they are still making a ton and that doesn't count endorsements.

Personally I don't care for Melo. I think he is a solid player who does not make anyone around him better.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +746
    At the next collective bargaining, they're going to raise the individual player pay cap significantly to avoid these super teams and give cities where players might not want to play so much a way to lure players with huge pay checks.
  17. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +711
    The next CBA won't be going that well for the owners. This past year CBA they cried poverty to the players. Now we have the bucks selling for 550 million and the Clippers selling for 2 billion. The players won't get bamboozled again.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    Doing the math. Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Melo and who? The cast of saturday night live?
  19. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +466
    Don't see it happening and as a Heat fan i would much rather see an upgrade at PG. But if thats what Lebron wants guess its something worth talking about. Living in S Fla it sure would be entertaining listening to all the Knick fans whining about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +746
    Yeah, you're probably right. And since the players union is mostly non-superstars, they won't want to give them most of the money.