Meet the new reactionary. Same as the old racist reactionary.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Rand Paul has some explaining to do if he wants us to think his brand of Libertariansim is different than Thurmond style Dixiecrat politics. Judging by his choice of co-author and social media director, there isn't any.

"A close aide to Sen. Rand Paul (R., Ky.) who co-wrote the senator’s 2011 book spent years working as a pro-secessionist radio pundit and neo-Confederate activist, raising questions about whether Paul will be able to transcend the same fringe-figure associations that dogged his father’s political career.

Paul hired Jack Hunter, 39, to help write his book The Tea Party Goes to Washington during his 2010 Senate run. Hunter joined Paul’s office as his social media director in August 2012.

From 1999 to 2012, Hunter was a South Carolina radio shock jock known as the “Southern Avenger.” He has weighed in on issues such as racial pride and Hispanic immigration, and stated his support for the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln.

During public appearances, Hunter often wore a mask on which was printed a Confederate flag.

Prior to his radio career, while in his 20s, Hunter was a chairman in the League of the South, which “advocates the secession and subsequent independence of the Southern States from this forced union and the formation of a Southern republic.”....​

http://freebeacon.com/rebel-yell/

Links to his Lincoln opinion ("John Wilkes Booth Was Right"):

http://web.archive.org/web/20071104....com/82/?form_58.userid=4&form_58.replyids=25
  2. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +724
    Every white male is a racist - haven't you heard?
  3. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    I'd like to see his direct quotes and their contexts of his "pro secessionist" and pro assassination of Lincoln quotes, which the article conveniently doesn't provide. So, since he's "weighed in" on hot topics like racism, which who hasnt " weighed in" on that topic at some point im their lives, he's a bad guy. What exactly has the guy done or said, i mean precisely, that makes him dangerous?
  4. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    The article has links to his writings and I posted the one to the column approving of Lincoln's assassination.
  5. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    No, just the ones in favor of southern secession, who wear confederate flags while practicing southern chauvinism, and who celebrate Lincoln's assassination.
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    I wouldnt necessarily draw any conclusions about Rand based on this, but there's no doubt that libertarian politics attracts a sizeable number of neo-confederate types.
  7. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    Some people need to just get over that there are southern people who just really appreciate that flag and like it and it doesn't make them racists. You would think, assuming that most people here have lived in florida at some point, people would have learned that. Using that as a reasoning for someone being bad is just silly. If you want to call it tasteless, by all means, i would agree, but trying to use it to essentially paint someone as bad is just oldschool stereotyping at its best.
  8. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    Sure. But if you choose to display and wrap yourself in something that people find offensive (IMO, rightfully), you are going to be viewed in a certain way. That comes with the territory. If I get a Swastika tattoo, I can't expect people not to view me as a Nazi, even if I really mean it as the ancient Indian use of the swastika as a symbol of momentum and progress.
  9. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    Sorry, but a swastika just does not equate to the southern flag, and truthfully i think that's a pretty ridiculous comparison.

The real problem is that people want, so badly, to stereotype and villify anything relating to "southern pride," however when it comes to latino pride, black pride, gay pride, or anything else anyone wants to associate with - it's all okay. There were hundreds of thousands of racists in the North just like in the South, similarly, not everyone in the South was a racist, and not everyone that owned slaves was a racist.
  10. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +993
    The guy is obviously politically incorrect to a fault. He was a shock jock. Go figure.

Some of his arguments are absurd and others make you think. I read both articles and I really don't smell racism. He does make a point about our culture. Good, bad or indifferent, it is changing. But he is right, southern culture is dead and in many important ways, that is a shame.
  11. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    Well, I'm sorry you dont like the comparison. I think its totally apt, but that is also my opinion. But my overall point was if you want to defend the flag and fly it, get used to people thinking you are a racist, unreconstructed Southerner, even if you aren't. I think the argument you make above is one typical of one made by white supremacists, and it does nothing to dispell my thinking on the subject. You adopt a symbol some people find offensive, you cant reasonably expect not to offend people. That's life.
  12. MastaG8r

MastaG8r New Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    oops nm wrong thread

But as long as I'm here, wrt this thread...so what? lol
  13. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,582
    How dare there be atrocities under a certain flag and how dare people still fly that flag with pride.. Kinda like... gasp.. the US flag.
  14. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    "That's life," or in other words, the truth doesn't matter - just accept the way things are. Our media has perpetuated this and so has our ever-increasing politically correct society. It's funny become I'm sure I come off as someone who has a rebel flag flying hanging off of the back of my '89 F-150 completely with gun-rack, however, I've never owned a rebel flag in my life(or a '90 F-150, or gun-rack for that matter). I just get tired of people allowing for some types of stereotyping, and saying, "hey, what do you expect..." - but when it comes to other types of profiling and stereotyping, they're completely off-limits.
  15. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    Like every single country with a flag that exists on this planet, essentially. It's pure silliness. Swastika compared with the southern flag, give me a break -- the comparison only works as two drastically and historically different things.
  16. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    Well, "the truth" is that the Confederate battle flag was flown by armies that fought to maintain racial slavery under a new government in rebellion (or secession if you prefer) against the US government. That's inescapable. I understand the draw of heritage/history and what not, but don't expect others to view symbols you associate with pride the same way, especially given their historical use. That is unreasonable. If its not about racism to you, what do you care what others think?
  17. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,894
    I don't think that being pro-secession is the same as racism. but I also don't think agree with Paul's choice to be so close to a guy who “raise a personal toast every May 10 to celebrate John Wilkes Booth’s birthday.”
  18. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152

I'm with you River -- I definitely think it was unwise of Paul to be as close to that guy as he is, as the guy clearly is pretty polarizing, but hey, what political figure of the past 50 years hasn't been somewhat associated with some kind of extremist?
  19. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,582
    Or what very recent one has been associated with multiple extremist? :whistle:
  20. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    All flags have been flown for various reasons at different times -- most of them having multiple stains on them. Some people that see the southern flag, and automatically associate it with racism choose to see that. The perspective I've learned to take on it is the same I see when people have Puerto-Rican flags hanging from their mirrors in their cars, or Celtic tattoos - it's simply something for people to identify themselves with. Personally, I wouldn't ever identify myself with it, but I respect their right to do so.

My father has tendency to quote Zig Ziglar on occasion and one that was ingrained on me at a young age was something to the effect of : "I might not hire you to work for my company if you're covered in tattoos and piercings, but I'll fight for your to look like that any day."