Media's Take on Murphy

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by nortonis, Sep 22, 2013.

1. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Is it just me, or is our Oline worse/unimproved? Did Nixon and Wilson really carry our line that much? I know Green is hurt too, but still
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    I tend to agree. Everyone has been obsessing so much over Driskel, they have overlooked the fact that our running game has not been what the staff expected. Some of that is Jones's missed time, some of it is Driskel's knee that limited the quarterback runs the second half against Miami, and some of it is the endless shuffling along the line due to injuries on the right side, which in turn has hampered our jumbo packages a bit. I am less concerned with limited gains against plus boxes than I am with the ability to make something happen at the second level when teams do stick a safety or two in there. We have to get be more elusive and break more tackles to turn some of those 4-6 yard runs into 10-20 yard runs.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    We haven't been healthy all season. The starting unit has not played one snapped together. People also know what we are going to do more. Then there is the RB's.
  4. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329
    OL has been better in pass protection but worse in run blocking.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    Agreed. I really liked the touch Murphy put on the ball and thought the few throws he did make down the field were pretty accurate and catchable. The real issue will be his ability to hit the little drags and sticks and outs we like to run, especially against man coverage. That isn't really his game, so the offense will have to scale back a little on those.
  6. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +175
    Disagree. Watch the UK / Louisville game. UK is not that bad on D. They are horrible on O and should not score a point unless they force a turnover. But their D frustrated Bridgewater all game. It will be a very nice next step for Tyler. Night game....on the road..... better D than UT.
  7. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    Strange pointed it out one of the things Jones needs is space to be effective. He needs an open whole so that he can punish Lb's and DB's. The whole are not there and he is not running hard enough.

The line should be healthy next week and it looks like Taylor is doing the things that the staff wanted so we should see some changes in the near future
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    I don't get this either. We've only allowed five sacks in three games, two of which came in certain pass situations at the end of the Miami game. Our run blocking has been average, which can easily be attributed to the shuffling. The first two games of the year, we only had one returning starter. By the second half of the Miami game, Harrison was the only starter at his projected position. Also, the backs have to make people miss or break tackles sometimes, especially against plus fronts. Gilislee did that a ton last year. Brown got his chances late against Tennessee for that precise reason.
  9. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    What disaster occurred in 1992 that you are referring to?
  10. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    it's going to 26 years
  11. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Our linemen were mauling future NFL draft picks against LSU, and now it seems like we can hardly get a push going. I'm not saying that our Oline is awful, but this is the 3rd quarterback in 5 years we've had suffer a serious injury (Tebow 09, Brantley 11, Driskel 13). I can't think of an SEC team in that time frame that has had even 2 quarterbacks suffer serious injuries behind the line of scrimmage, though I may just not be remembering. Maybe Kentucky?
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    On LSU last year, we were healthy at that time, we were just starting to incorporate all of our jumbo and unbalanced packages, and we wore a tired LSU team down at the end. It wasn't like we were dominating the line of scrimmage all game long. We also had a back running with his hair on fire.

On the injuries, those are isolated instances. You can't really reason from that. Our 2009 offensive line had two future Pro Bowl linemen on it. You can't say it was bad in any respect. Last year's, on the other hand, was terrible in pass protection and no one got hurt.
  13. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    It's weird how that works out, the injury situation compared to linemen talent level. Also, it was really frustrating watching Tennessee holding our defensive linemen and not getting caught once. They did it a lot last year too. It's like football 101 for them
  14. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,585
    Yes it will. If we execute well and minimize unforced errors, that says a lot. That would tell me that we haven't lost focus and the team is rallying around TM. And that is very important.
  15. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +472
    It's going to be a work in progress. I'm not writing them off yet. Injuries have completely blown this unit apart. I'm interested to see how they'll play together with time to heal and build chemistry.

I was a bit surprised with some of the play we've seen from Humphries and Tyler Moore. Moore looked rough going up against the Miami pass rush. Hopefully he's better than that.

I'd give them a few more games. So far, though, they've been a very average unit.
  16. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +333
    Alfa,
    I noticed that too. Murphy seemed to bring an energy to the offense and it started to be contagious. It even looked to me that Brown was running harder in the second half although that could have had a lot to do with the Vol D getting tired.
  17. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +244
    Keep calm and Murphy on.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  18. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,552

I did not intend to compare us to Alabama talent-wise; I simply intended to state that, for where we are and what we've got - right now - game managing expectations rather than "when do we hang 50 on 'em" expectations are exactly what is called for. In fact, I wish we had had more of that with Jeff in getting started this year, instead of the other kind of unrealistic (granted, in hindsight) and quite possibly, unattainable expectations.

I do agree however that we do not yet have the - proven - OL and running back luxuries that the Gumps have had in recent years. I do have the expectation, however unrealistic and unattainable, that we will in the future.