Media's Take on Murphy

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by nortonis, Sep 22, 2013.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,484
    Agreed, and it's starting to look like our defense is even more ridiculous this year than last.
  2. Gatorologist

Gatorologist Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    If we can get adequate play out of our LB, which is the weak link on this D, our D will be top 5 in nation if it stays healthy. Unfortunately, I have not seen our LB's making plays and I fear a good offense will take advantage of that. And if we play a team that can either keep our offense on the field for a long time and/or run a lot of plays those LB's will be exposed as our DL gets tired.
  3. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329
    JD's injury, if we knew he was going to have one, couldn't have come at a better time. He gets thrown into the fire against an average defense at home. Second game he gets his feet wet on the road against a team we should be able to handle quite easily then returns to the swamp to face a better team in Arky. Basically gets three games to get himself more comfortable in the offense before we go into the meat of our schedule.
  4. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +470
    You know, I'll be happy if Tyler Murphy can give us what Tee Martin gave the Vols fifteen years ago. He doesn't have to be spectacular, although I think there will come a point this year where he'll have to play above simply being a "game manager". Martin was very efficient, very consistent, and he was able to elevate his game when he had to. Murphy was very good yesterday, and he surprised everybody.

Florida has the defense for us to do what UT the year they won a national championship; what we don't have, is a Jamal Lewis. Or a Travis Henry. Or really even a Travis Stephens. At least not yet.

You wonder how high the ceiling is for this team against a good defense.
  5. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,133
    Lets ease off all the Murphy adulation, and just congratulate him on a job well done v.s. UT for now.

He was forced to step in yesterday without having any real idea that he was going to be placed on the big stage like that, but now that he's got the pressure on him this week, we'll see how he handles it.

Murphy has my 100% support, but we've got a long way to go this season and an inexperienced QB with no help behind him, so let's stay based in reality for now.

I don't think a night game @ UK will rattle him a lot, but it will be the Arkansas game against some good athletes that will tell us if he's ready for the LSU's, UGA's, MIzzou's, and South Carolina's of the schedule.

fsu? Not really worried about them because I think they're very overrated.
  6. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,133

I think it will be the Arky game that will tell us a lot.
  7. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,539

Alabama makes a NC living off of "game manager" QBs. They are smart, disciplined, confident, play the game fast, and execute under pressure. They don't monkey around, and simply play high percentage football.

I see all of that in Tyler Murphy.
  8. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    ...and time for Matt Jones to be the back we need him to be if we want to be successful
  9. 1984Gator

1984Gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    He showed poise and was effective relieving Driskel. That was a comfort to see. His arm isn't very strong and is size may play a factor later on. We'll see.
  10. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Teddy Bridgewater 16/28 250 yards 57.1% 1TD

That's Bridgewater's line against Kentucky this season. This will indeed be a good test for Tyler
  11. RaginCajunGator

RaginCajunGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    I appreciate some of things you write, but why do you always try to undermine other peoples thoughts/opinions with your negativity? I've read your posts and although you have been right a lot, you've been wrong with a lot of things. Is it really that hard for you to give credit where credit is due and admit when you were wrong?

Don't mean to pile on you personally. Your post just happens to be one in a long line of ones I came across. Again, appreciate your insure with the recruiting stuff, but enough is enough.

Sent from my iPhone under your bed
  12. bposs

bposs Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    SOS was impressed with murph too yesterday.
  13. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +470
    Right. 'Bama also usually has one of the nation's best offensive lines. They also have had 'backs like Lacy, Richardson and Mark Ingram. Florida doesn't appear to have a talent like any one of those three RBs at the moment, and they certainly don't have a wall that features guys like Fluker, Barrett Jones, Warmack, etc...

It's easy to manage a game, as a QB, when you have the type of talent mentioned above-not to mention a Julio Jones/Amari Cooper-type of talent to stretch the field with. Murphy doesn't quite have the luxury guys like McElroy and McCarron have had talent-wise.
  14. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +176
    It's good this morning to see some sanity prevail on threads like this.

You CANNOT avoid a dropoff in talent when forced to go w/ the 2nd-stringer. The coaching staff who KNOWS what these guys can do, has alluded to the fact that Driskel is a clear #1 and that Murphy up until now is several steps behind. Yes, size and arm strength play into this. Driskel could run upfield and saved us against Vandy last year doing so. I had follies telling me after the UT game last year that they wished we still had Tim instead of Driskel because Driskel scared them more!

When a team has to play the backup as a #1, this is what they do to SURVIVE:

1. Simplify and game-plan to fit the new guy's skill set.
    2. Bring him along slowly and increase his playbook as he is able to digest it.
    3. Emphasize and MAJOR ON the need for defense and ST to step up and add more to the team's total game.

#1, they accomplished in-game yesterday. Muschamp lost his "z" from me as far as I am concerned. That's pretty good coaching on his part. Adapt. Adjust. WHEN URBAN MEYER DID IT, it turned him into a championship coach. He quit trying to make Leak fit his mold in mid-2005 and set the stage for 2 crystal trophies.

#2 is all about this week in Lexington and thereafter. They will give him more this week as the first-time starter and I am anxious to see how he handles it. I personally don't take ky lightly and think this will be a tough ballgame in a hostile place with LOTS of chances for disaster. 1992. Remember.

#3 basically depends on the other players to respond the right way.

People who know football know that a team diminishes by having to start a backup QB. That's why we dropped in the polls. That's why we are basically being written off. The team can use this to its advantage in an "us-against-the-world" attitude.

The fantasizers all think we just stumbled onto a hidden gem or that it's a blessing in disguise, or that now we will somehow get better.

The crazies all but celebrated Driskel's injury (some while waving the Card and hollering "justice for jacoby". YES, THEY DID. Be Honest.)

Bottom line is that the remaining 9 games WILL HAPPEN no matter what and we can either win them or lose them. Be nice to win as many as we can. I hope Murphy does OK.
  15. AlfaGator

AlfaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +112
    May I add a number four?

4) these Gators really, really look like they want to step up and play harder for Tyler then the did for Jeff.

I think we are going to find out that Tyler will have a bonding affect on these Gators. And that can be a very powerful force in college ball:happy:.
  16. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    I think the biggest problem for TM being a "game manager" is that our running game looks incredibly pedestrian. Other teams are going to start game-planning to stop his run threat. He's gonna have to make D-1 level throws consistently if we are to have any kind of success against some of the better teams on our schedule.

I would temper our expectations for him.
  17. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +328
    Like the beautiful throw he made to Dunbar?
  18. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    That's not true. Sometimes you can. Do you think Trent Green was better than Kurt Warner? Was Drew Bledsoe better than Tom Brady?

Where the 3-4 QBs ahead of Shane Mathews better than Shane Mathews?

I feel strongly we will be better with Murphy than Driskel just like we were better with Gillislee than Demps and Rainey.
  19. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,288
    Those are not the throws that really worry me it is the short and intermediate timing routes that we were asking Jeff to make. I say take them out or tell him 1 or two reads then run. That is what I would have been doing to Jeff if he was healthy.
  20. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,288
    While there is probably a talent drop off between Jeff and Tyler especially in arm strength it can help your team like you stated.

If we do 1-3 we will be a hard team to beat.

Tyler is def quicker which is a talent gain because of the way this Oline is playing