Meaningless thoughts in a disoriented fog

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by SeaBud, Sep 8, 2013.

1. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    1. CWM’s team stunk in year 1, overachieved in year 2. Shaky start to year 3. Zook was rightfully fired in year 3 b/c there was no progress. Not the case with CWM, but he is not out of the woods either. You are hired to coach UF Football for 1 reason: win championships. If he is not competing for championships in the next 2 years he is gone. This is not UGA.
    2. Corollary to point 1: if you are gonna play ground and pound, you better win championships. Never forget that this is a business (not for me because I’m always a fan). You can be sure that the AD will give more leeway to a coach with a 9-3 record who puts butts in seats with an "exciting" team than a coach with a 9-3 record who coaches a team considered boring by fans (who thus show up/donate less).
    3. Beating rivals matters. CWM can salve many wounds by beating UGA/FSU. Losing will turn up the heat.
    4. Our coaches are good at coaching defense. Period.
    5. Coach bagged the defense after the game!!! Our FRESHMAN safety got burned – guess what, Miami was trying to score too! Our JUNIOR QB made way more bad plays. I know he is a defensive guy and the defense “can take it”, but I sure hope that critical eye gets turned on the offense too. Aside - love VH3 (is coach blaming him for stepping out of bounds?). That kid plays ball! Easley too.. just needs to shut up when we are losing.
    6. After the game yesterday, I now know why the coaches don’t want JD making many decisions in a deep passing game. Bad things happen. HOWEVER, is it that hard to do a pre-snap read (change play/chose receivers at the line based on sideline signals) where he throws to a spot on timing? It sure would be nice to have some ability to stretch/confuse defenses. Even acknowledging JD’s limitations it sure seems like the coaches could figure out some ways to get more from him in the passing game (roll outs, timing routes).
    7. The overthrow to Dunbar in the end zone was HORRENDOUS. Easiest throw in the book – just put some air under it, as there was room in the end zone. For a Junior to miss that throw is hard to fathom and indicates major issues. Easy play that a champion makes.
    8. Acknowledging that we have no real back up qb, we will need to run JD more. He is good at it, we get yards and it gives us the best chance to win. I think the coaches hoped he could pass better (make better decisions) and decided to minimize running him to limit injuries in this game, but my guess is the UM game results put JD in run mode more.
    9. Not impressed with our backs and not sure Gillislee’s absence won’t be bigger than we think. Hoping Jones was just rusty from being sick. We need a back that can break a big one and consistently fall forward. Watching Davis for USCe and Gurley for UGA was depressing. If we are ground and pound, give Taylor/Lane some touches to see if they can be the man (if Jones doesn’t beast up). Blocking in the passing game is irrelevant 66% of the time anyway……
    10. Speaking of that, watching UGA beat the HBC put a crappy end to a bad day.
    11. I do think CWM can coach, but he is obviously stubborn in his philosophy too. Spurrier adopted the shotgun after hating it to win a hattie. Urban modified his offense to fit Leak. Failure to adapt and win is just failure. At the end of the day, I believe there is no right answer as to how to play, only winning and losing. Hope he can get the best from what we have, and win this year (but game 2 was not it)! Go Gators.
  2. g8rboy

g8rboy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +108
    That is pretty lucid for being in a fog
  3. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    I don't believe for one minute that we don't have some decent backup QB's. If we keep running Driskel his chances for injury is high, we will find out soon enoiugh. Tyler Murphy could relieve Driskel, but Driskel being a five star athlete is being groomed we are being told. Remember Kerwin Bell was a walk on. Tyler was recruited by a lot of schools. Well at some point, you have to cut your losses and try the next man, you might like what you see. Tyler isn't a savior, but he has better touch with his passing. Driskel might get better, but after being here in his 3rd season, 2nd with Pease, which I don't personally believes helps, the not getting enough reps in the passing game and being put in 3rd down situations, because we want to run the ball, he really isn't showing that he is a good QB. I know Tyler could throw behind the line and over the middle at the line of scrimmage. If our starting QB doesn't excel in this scheme, whatever it is, then play someone else, ie
    Murphy, who knows what to do. If we go to the wildcat again, mark it down now, Will Muschamp will be gone in the near future. Stubborn doesn't get it done.

We will never be Alabama! First of all, they actually pass the ball.

With our AD distancing himself, his hire is all alone in the endzone. This is not a great place to be as a head coach.
  4. UF67ee

UF67ee Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    Excellent post and comments