Mayweather vs McGregor II...

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by ArtVandelay, Feb 8, 2018.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,115
    https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/2/...ks-underway-for-mayweather-mcgregor-mma-fight

I would watch it for the entertainment/event aspect. I wouldn't pay much though.

I thought McGregor could hold his own in the boxing ring because of Mayweather's style of fighting. There is no way this doesn't end in the 1st round unless it is fixed. I also don't think Mayweather would care how he looks because he knows he will get paid a ton of money.

People will buy, so I do think there is a good chance this will happen.
  2. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +15,318
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,196
    This would be a worse blowout than what happened in the ring. This would be disastrous for mayweather.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,615
    Unless Mayweather is hurting for money he would be a fool to do a MMA match
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. njgator81

njgator81 Junior

Ratings Received:
    +42
    I wonder whether there was some kind of arrangement, tacit or otherwise, between Mayweather and Conner's people not to intentionally KO Conner early, and let him walk out without damaging his marketability. Even though the UFC was perceived to have nothing to lose, Conner getting destroyed in the first round wouldn't be good for business. Or Maybe Mayweather's skills/power have just eroded that much at this point.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,812
    I don't know that there was a deal. Mayweather is a patient fighter. He typically uses the first few rounds to feel out the other guy. It was easy to tell a few rounds in that Floyd felt him out and realized that McGregor didn't have the power to KO him. From that point on, he was walking straight through the punches.

I think if Mayweather had wanted to be aggressive, he could have KO'd him earlier, and that's where I think you have a good point. Mayweather is aware of the crowd and the viewers. I think he made the choice for himself to play it safe rather than go for an early KO.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,895

Agreed Mayweather was confident that the only way he could lose was a lucky punch. A couple rounds of dancing showed that that wouldnt happen.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,867
    No.
    Please No.
    No No Please No.
    Please Please Please No.

9. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,399
    That and I think he knew McG would be cashed after the 3rd/4th rd. No reason to take any chances. Imagine if he lost to an MMA fighter. Even if it was a lucky shot?
  10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,196
    Nah.... that is just the way he fights. For better or worse... I have seen all of Floyd's fights. Aside from the cheap shot against Victor Ortiz... he hadn't knocked anyone out since Ricky Hatton in 2007! He is a defensive fighter first and foremost... who now is old and with crummy hands. He planned to take McGregor deep before putting him away.
    Some MMA fans were telling me this proved their fighters could compete in boxing. LOL... hardly.
    If Connor stepped in with Canelo or GGG . . . he would be blasted out of the ring in less than a round. This is, of course, why he baited Floyd, and not those others.
    And the same would happen to either of those fighters in they fought in the Octagon. And this is what makes the whole thing so stupid.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1