Matt Elam (2014 DT) trashing Joker

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by 619_Gator, Jun 9, 2013.

1. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,475
    Not a good move on this kids part imo.
  2. gatorsallday

gatorsallday Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    He's a 5 star on 247 now lmao
  3. Gator_n_Austin

Gator_n_Austin Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    1. I have a different opinion on this, some people see it as no big deal while others think it is corny

2. Stoops was not a HC in waiting, he was hired from FSU. and has secured verbal commitments from players who probably would not even have considered Kentucky if not for him

3. One could compare the caliber of Highschool player being brought in by Stoops, as opposed to the recruiting classes that Joker brought in while there

4. I Believe that he does understand what he is doing as far as coaching and X/O's but is weak at developing relationships with potential recruits, not the evaluating process

5. Didn't say we only had Durkin, just that he was a monster and he and Will are our 2 Best

6. 1 recruit already did, the kid whom this Forum is based on. Has pinpointed "the Joker" as the main reason he is turned off by the school and not the school itself
  4. Gator_n_Austin

Gator_n_Austin Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Agreed! thats why i think it will take a Coach with a likeable personality to help overcome a school like Kentucky's flaws. Boom for example has said some of the funniest and most memorable things when he gets the mic in his face. Against Fsu at halftime, he said that "We've seen better defenses than this", How can you not want to play for a guy like that?!

and i think that Joker was a great hire, i think he may more of an old school coach who might have difficulty adapting to a new age of recruiting.
  5. Gator_n_Austin

Gator_n_Austin Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Not really sure how you came to the conclusion that he ran recruiting for Brooks while at Kentucky. He stopped being the recruiting coordinator in 2004 for them. so he lasted 1 year as coordinator for them under Brooks. I don't see how he was responsible for all the "good players" when he coached on one side of the ball? do you mean all good offensive players? I think he was overmatched as a headcoach because his players just didnt respond to him the way they responded to Brooks, (who went in and Kicked A$$). Can't say that he was an elite level recruiter because I don't know of any prospects wanting to go to Kentucky because of him. If he were an elite recruiter he probably would've been hired away by another program before he was promoted to HC after Brooks retirement.

I would tell the kid that "it is a new beginning at Kentucky." and I would sell the underdog story to them, of how everyone wants somebody to shut these big time SEC programs up and that we are gonna be the ones to do it.
  6. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    As for #2, he was saying that Stoops was not a HC in waiting at Kentucky like Joker was. Therefore he's right, a HC in waiting never gets the same recruiting boost as say a new hire, like Stoops.

There has been multiple stories of how kids love Joker, and get along with him great. One kid doesn't like his approach or style doesn't mean you have to not trust his ability to recruit.
  7. gator1986

Ratings Received:
    +570
    And at Kentucky Joker averaged about 20, 3 stars and 2, 4 stars every signing period. Which for Kentucky is pretty good, Stoops is only getting a boost because he's a new hire, a hot new thing.
  8. Gator_n_Austin

Gator_n_Austin Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    I would make the argument that it should've been an easier transition when a long term coordinator who has strong ties to the state and to the school gets promoted to HC after the one before retires, Rather than a new coach who has to go and make connections. for example Urban and Boom and Zook's first recruiting classes were their lowest ranked. so what Stoops is doing their is quite impressive, and It is quite a change from when Joker was there. in only a matter of months. Great recruiter in my opinion, he is selling the program.
    and its Not only the fact that one kid doesn't like it, but the fact that a Newspaper labeled it "Creepy", and the fact that I thought it was corny before this kid said anything about him personally. This is all negative attention for Joker and his ability to walk into a recruits living room and be taken seriously, IMHO. I would tell joker to send Boom or Durkin to talk to my kid or me if i was a recruit, because they seem to be more serious.
  9. Gator_n_Austin

Gator_n_Austin Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    And you are correct that it is Kentucky, and he did do about what you would expect when he was there. I just honestly think the "COme and Play for the Joker" thing is corny. I can just see it turning alot of recruits off. But he is a damn good Coach though, with many years of SEC experience. So hopefully I'm wrong, it just sticks out to me.
  10. gator1986

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I don't know it really all depends how strings ones ties are really to a state as a OC. Lets say he had a bad reputation as the OC, then gets promotes to HC.... He would still carry that baggage over to the new position with him.

Whereas you get a new coach who was either the DC or HC for another school out of another conference, and he's bringing with him a new plan, new schemes, he has a label as an up and coming coach. It's going to at least make recruits wonder, if not consider.

Joker's tweets yes corny, but are totally harmless. As I have said the majority of stories I have read about him the recruits love him, and get along with him there's always one or even a few that aren't going to like someone, can't go through life trying to please everyone.
  11. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,588
    Easy. "#ComePlayForTheJoker".
  12. 619_Gator

619_Gator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +403
    Based on what I have seen about this kid, he is pissed because He doesn't have a committable offer. Joker told him to camp and earn the offer. He felt disrespected because of this. It has nothing to do with Tweets or Jokers personality based on what the kid said.
  13. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    2. right it is hard to gain momentum with a new hire when you are a head coach in waiting like Joker was.

3. Stoops class last year was nothing special

The comeplayforjoker thing had nothing to do with Elam not liking Joker anymore.
  14. warhorsegator

warhorsegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +204
    Anyone who says I was "disrespected" (a word just barely in the dictionary) is an automatic loser who will play the card of entitlement and blaming others for his failure. Good riddance.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Why is Joker our Recruiting coordinator, I mean get that Boom can't be but aren't Durkin and TRob generally considered better recruiters (we need an offensive guru to recruit for us)?
  16. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,475
    I would think WM had his reasons and if there was indeed a REAL problem or issue with Joker, WM would have corrected it and done so immediately.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    Well because CWM feels he is the best man for the job. He has more experience than the others. It seems like RC would have a lot to do with organizational skills and evaluation . Joker is generally considered a very good recruiter.

explain the part about "we need an offensive guru to recruit for us?
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    If we really wanted this kid he would have already had an offer. He is not a very good scheme fit or us on defense IMO. Which is why they may have been looking at him for the offensive side of the ball
  19. gatorgoat

gatorgoat New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I just hope he can improve our wide receiver production!
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    talent maturity and better play calling will do that